Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #5221
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I've been riding in Mexico for over 5 weeks now with my wife, on two bikes. In Huajuapan de Leon this morning, heading for Oaxaca today to stay for a week and a half. We don't feel like we've just been "lucky" on safety - it has been very safe here. It feels safe. The people are amazingly helpful. We've learned to be careful complementing someone on something, as they are likely to try to force you to accept it as a gift. The worst that has happened to us is a stolen SPOT tracker in the DF. What someone will do with that I have no idea, but it was my own fault for leaving it on the bike.

We live in New Orleans, Louisiana most of the time. Now there is a place you might want to think twice about!
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #5222
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisrosco View Post
....heading for Oaxaca today to stay for a week and a half.
There is so much to see and do not just in Oaxaca but within the radius that surrounds it. Make sure you are aware of the gold mine you are about to enter, and examine every nugget.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #5223
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
don, do everyone a favour and only talk about things you really know something about.
They didn't "just" drop the bodies. The first dumping was on september 20th, more than two months ago and there was another problem where they found other bodies in homes in different parts of the city, and later issues where they found bodies dumped here and there throughout the city. I live less than a kilometer from where the september 20th dump happened. I live a few blocks from where other problems have occurred. You live in san diego, california which is a few thousand miles away and reading stuff from the american news. I had a good time yesterday helping out a rider on his way to argentina and he could care less about the narco stuff because he knows it won't affect him, nor did it affect another rider who came through shortly after the original mass dumping. I think you need to actually come here and ride here and understand what is really going on.
I have only heard of two instances that concerned the safety of adv riders in mexico in the past two years. Both occurred under somewhat odd circumstances. Neither of those cases was widely reported in any form of national news in the us nor here in mexico. I think you might be overreacting a little, just like the us state department has.
Just my 2 centavos on the whole thing.
+1

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #5224
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Don, do everyone a favour and only talk about things you really know something about.
They didn't "just" drop the bodies.
Yo, Mike, it's Dan, if you read the post properly.

And I was just summarizing the article.

I could post it in its entirety, but that's what happened. They killed and left 50 dead bodies in traffic.

And if you read my post, you'll see that I was in Veracruz for a non-motorcycle event.

I know "quite a bit" about Mexican cartels and we could discuss it off-line. Not to brag, but I know a lot more than you. Sure, I can't tell everyone where to get the best ricos tacos (but I do know some really great places from TJ to Bolivia), but I can tell you how to come back with your empty head intact. Really.

This thread is titled, "IS MEXICO SAFE?" Are any of my facts incorrect? Just because you don't agree with them, doesn't make them wrong.

Hey, I'm just adding to the discussion.

I don't see you spouting off to the knuckleheads who like to talk about ricos tacos....

I could talk about the Amertican in Rosarito who was recently killed. He told everyone how "safe" Mexico was. Like ther others, he was just lucky until they finally shot him in his rental home.

And that's what my posts were aiming to do. Provide facts.

Thanks,

Don....er, Dan.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #5225
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
We live in New Orleans, Louisiana most of the time. Now there is a place you might want to think twice about!
Been thinking about riding over there, if I can find a downtown hotel with moto parking. I want to go sit in Pat O'Briens again and go on hurricane watch, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5226
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Mexico City (D.F.) not that bad, especially if you do it on a weekend. I would go straight to Centro Historico (very nice Hotel catty corner to Cathedral-Holiday Inn Zocalo). If really averse to D.F., there is the newish Arco del Norte that bypasses to East of D.F. but I've never taken it. Arte, the OP of this wonderful thread took it awhile back...D.F. is a fascinating place IMO.
How 'bout riding to Mexico City and retracing Bourdain's steps from his show?

While it's still safe, I mean.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #5227
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #5228
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Ricos tacos!

Orale!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #5229
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

La Isla de los Tacos,,,,

I guess I'm "Taco Rican"
Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #5230
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #5231
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post

I could post it in its entirety, but that's what happened. They killed and left 50 dead bodies in traffic.

That is simply not true, Dan Don or whatever your name is.
There was no traffic, they had blocked off the 3 lanes on each side beside the voladores statue and fountain on the underpass in front of Plaza Las Americas. And there were not 50 bodies dumped at that time. I could care less what you think you know because it's painfully obvious you don't know very much about the situation here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #5232
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Been thinking about riding over there, if I can find a downtown hotel with moto parking. I want to go sit in Pat O'Briens again and go on hurricane watch, if you know what I mean.
Try this place - cheap rooms, great staff, great location and always free parking - with a guard: http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #5233
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Please enjoy this interlude courtesy of Mayte Carranco:

Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #5234
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Try this place - cheap rooms, great staff, great location and always free parking - with a guard: http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/
You Sir are my Hero
Old 11-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #5235
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I know it seems like I post fast, but I don't. Not really. I posted a lot faster when I was younger but I've slowed down a lot. I know guys who post really fast and if you ask them they will tell you they're not fast.

Now Jimmex, that guy posts really fast. Crazy fast. I don't even try to keep up.