Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #5296
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Beware la Policía Dormiendo! The speed bumps in Mexico, called topes, come in many shapes and sizes, some painted some not, some marked by signs some not. I've high-centered my Harley with 5.1" clearance on an especially tall tope.

Consider the bike's clearance and what part(s) will suffer damage when you don't. You might need to remove the Ninja's lower fairing to make it work. Others have done so. Adding a skid plate to a bike might do the job.

Topes make the GS a great bike for Mexico. Your new-to-you Honda looks promising.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #5297
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
The Pegaso is roughly a first-generation BMW F-650 where none of the parts seem to interchange. That's probably a good bike to take for a first trip into Mexico. Oh wait ... "hack" ... I read "rack"

It sorta depends on where you want to go because one of the dirty little secrets of Mexican travel is that you can get to many cities by way of Interstate quality toll roads. But what's going to get you are the topes (like Schizz pointed out) or you will find that the transitions between the good road and the parking lots can be pretty severe. The skid plates on my GS BMW's always got a healthy workout.

The other thing that you may find is that many towns have a surprising number of dirt or deeply sandy streets when you least expect them.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #5298
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The Pegaso is roughly a first-generation BMW F-650 where none of the parts seem to interchange. That's probably a good bike to take for a first trip into Mexico. Oh wait ... "hack" ... I read "rack"

It sorta depends on where you want to go because one of the dirty little secrets of Mexican travel is that you can get to many cities by way of Interstate quality toll roads. But what's going to get you are the topes (like Schizz pointed out) or you will find that the transitions between the good road and the parking lots can be pretty severe. The skid plates on my GS BMW's always got a healthy workout.

The other thing that you may find is that many towns have a surprising number of dirt or deeply sandy streets when you least expect them.
Yeah I sorta picked up on most of that, just I wish I wasn't such a fence sitter but I am. Much as I love the hack it's a sumbitch on twisty roads like CA 1, damn near wears a body out in just a few miles. Also the most fun but slow as hell at the same time. It did great in AK but I like a bit more reserve when I pull the trigger. The Ninja has paid it's dues and has the best ergos for me, low to the ground and I can pick it up - lots of experience doing that. Plus if I had to I could walk away from it as I figure I got full use out of it long ago. Maybe that's the answer. I'm not too concerned on hanging up, it just falls over. Just thinking out loud I guess, I'll probably spin the bottle when it comes time.

Anyway thanks for the input PJ. You sure Mexico is safe...?

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #5299
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,204
He's Been to Mexico

GS rider of a famous rock band who has taken his scoot through Mexico and beyond

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #5300
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Hello experienced Mexico travellers
I'm considering a loop from Tucson-Mexacali-Tecate-Ensanada-Las Salinas-Mexacali-Tucson. Let's say 4 days on my Wee-Strom. Rain gear, one change of clothes, a few layers and a sufficient wad of cash. I'm no Mechanic but everything is tight and up to date on the bike, including my recent caliper conversion.
Has anyone done this and is it interesting riding or just a dull slog on pavement?
I need insurance??? Vehicle permit??? Passport card?????

Thanks
Dave

You need a passport or you may not get back into the great U.S. of A.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #5301
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Totally not true.

Xalbador can get you across for $1,750 (US) but space is tight, if you get my drift
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #5302
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,518
Riding to Guanajuato on Dec 23, leaving before sunrise.

route?

Probably Reynosa-Cd Victoria-Slp-Gto. Probably Reynosa-Saltillo-Slp-Gto. not decided yet.

Anyone wanting to ride along this is the plan: Gas-pee-gas-pee. oh and some tacos on the road

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #5303
Dudu
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
totally not true.

Xalbador can get you across for $1,750 (us) but space is tight, if you get my drift
lol!!
Dudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5304
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I like it here I don't wanna go back!!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #5305
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Aero Bike by Jesse James

With this, you can fly over topes and leave pursuers in the dust

Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #5306
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
That thing looks cool. Not exactly Bajo Perfil and it looks like it could be expensive to hit a tope! I was looking into it and kind of surprised to see that the 2.8 liter motor only produces 110HP? My KLR-650 probably has a better power to weight ratio.

Can that be right?
This would definitely not work on even the smallest topes in Mexico. And our KLRs probably do have an edge in power to weight, I don't know. But If I had Jay Leno money, this would be in my collection, or if not for sale, I'd have one built for me. It has that steampunk look
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #5307
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
You could call it the "Rebeccadealbainator"!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #5308
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I tried learning spanish many times. First was in high school for 2 years, next was in college for 1 year, and my last attempt was for 2 months in a focused learning environment before heading to Honduras. It wasn't until I got to Honduras that things clicked and made sense. All those attempts at using the books just didn't work for me. Once I was there, I learned enough to get around rather quickly. After that I began to polish it. I had all the books and started to refer to them later on. They are good for vocabulary (sometimes), and grammar rules. It was the immersion that I needed. The books came in real nice when I was able to begin listening to folks and picking up certain phrases or conjugations that didn't make sense. I could look them up, learn them, and then start using them.

Another key, is to use what you learn. It doesn't do any good to learn something and put it on the shelf and never use it. Use it as soon as you learn it, and it will help to remain with you.
This is spot on. As a 66 yrs at the time Spanish student in Oaxaca, I had a great time but it was not worth it language wise for me. I'm a retired educator and the instruction was tops.I formerly evaluated teachers on the job. Like Trice says you nee the basics before you go to class in any situation to gain much. Also, w/o continued use you'll lose what you gained . Craigslist if full of cheap Rosseta Stone stuff . Immersion is the absolute best but the use it or lose it thing still applies. My hearing loss also makes it hard to hear the little things that matter lots in Spanish. There is no doubt in my mind(well documented too!) that age is a big factor in learning language. Maybe never too late but not nearly so easy either.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #5309
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post

Anyway thanks for the input PJ. You sure Mexico is safe...?

LL75

Oh yeah. The topes will getcha a long time before the bandits do.

I wish that my online photo account was working because I posted some photos of a car-sized sinkhole in the middle of a Reynosa street a year or two ago. Damnedest thing that I had ever seen, and it had happened recently so the city hadn't had a chance to put any cones around it but someone did throw some old tires in to give folks a little warning. If I hadn't see it and had ridden across it my bike and I would definitely been swallowed up into the local storm sewer.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #5310
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Beware la Policía Dormiendo! The speed bumps in Mexico, called topes, come in many shapes and sizes, some painted some not, some marked by signs some not. I've high-centered my Harley with 5.1" clearance on an especially tall tope.

Consider the bike's clearance and what part(s) will suffer damage when you don't. You might need to remove the Ninja's lower fairing to make it work. Others have done so. Adding a skid plate to a bike might do the job.

Topes make the GS a great bike for Mexico. Your new-to-you Honda looks promising.
My BMW R1150R is not nearly as low as the Ninja and my centerstand and bike lowers are very scarred but no damage that matters. Still looking for the one that does me in & I have little doubt that it's out there. You will hit one on a Ninja that will cause some regret! There is also a pothole lurking in the shadows of most Mexican roads. I have played "avoid the pothole" game a few times when they just had me outnumbered!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote