Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #5341
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I've noticed that when it comes to Geology there are only 2 different kinds of people, Those that find it fascinating and cant get enough, and those that don't give a rats ass about rocks. I think Geology an MC riding make a good combo. Whether it is road cuts or mountains, a lot of what you are seeing as you ride is geology and it is fun to understand some of it. When you come down we can do a Roadside Geology of Mexico Field trip.
Wow, what an honor; the IMS Rock and Roll tour.

Unfortunately, work has me in its clutches--we just kicked off a major software project. I'm hoping to at least squeeze in a weekend camping trip to the Texas Hillcountry soon.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #5342
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Mexico KLR

I wouldn't call KLRs gutless. I would call them pigs. But, the BMW twin 650s and 800s are pigs too. My KLR did great in Mexico. But, the day after I got back it blew up!
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #5343
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedwaterskier View Post
I
KLR did great in Mexico. But, the day after I got back it blew up!
Should have done the doohickie
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #5344
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #5345
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
^ Is that you tearing into that bike like that?

Yeah, my doings.

I figured I'd check & grease the splines, check the clutch, the rear tranny seal is leaking into the driveshaft tube, and third gear shifts kinda clunky. Twelve year old bike, so I figured I'd give it the blue glove treatment (turn your steering head and cough).

The weather really isn't that nice out right now.

This is what us northerners do for fun during the winter.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #5346
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Been nosing around to see what if anything might be available for my Zumo 550, found this:

BiciMapas GPS map of Mexico

Nothing in Laying Down Tracks, couldn't find anything anywhere else in the ADV forums. They claim to be compatible with all Garmin products. Sort of. Anyone ever heard of or used their stuff? I'm ok with maps* and all that but I'm also lazy as hell and don't mind using the Zumo. Especially when it's raining like hell.

LL75

*AAA maps ok for Mexico? I don't do topos, they make me dizzy
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #5347
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
BiciMapas GPS map of Mexico
I have a Zumo 550 and have Bicimapas loaded.

But I stopped buying updates. Maybe down the road.

You're better off with the oft heralded Guia Roji mapset available many places including Amazon.com.

That will get you from town to town, and then save yourself a cabeza of headaches and simply employ a taxista to get you to the parking lot of your hotel. And to get you from your breakfast table to the beginning of your route the next day.

At some point in the future you'll have towns like San Miguel, Veracruz, Mazatlán, etc. almost memorized and you won't want the service of a taxista, and for me I like to help the local economies and ride through new, unknown towns looking at all the cool stuff following a taxista vs. trying to focus on a fuzzy Zumo display which doesn't autoroute for crap.

So yes I would get Bicimapas but assign it the lowly status it deserves (although in actuality there is nothing wrong with the product - you just don't need it per se)

I will say one of the paramount uses of any GPS in Mexico is recording coordinates of really cool places that you can use and share down the road. Really good hotels, restaurants, road turnoffs, vistas, are great reasons to capture GPS coordinates so you or friends can find them later.

But as for navigation, use a paper map.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #5348
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Las bellas damas de Rancho El Morillo una vez más

I stayed there in March this year . Didn't see las bellas damas
Old 12-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #5349
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
If you load Bicimapas put it on a memory card, not directly to the GPS memory. Should operate faster.

I also wouldn't rely on GPS alone for nav in Mexico. Combined with Guia Roji it's more useful.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #5350
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
I have a Zumo 550 and have Bicimapas loaded.

But I stopped buying updates. Maybe down the road.

You're better off with the oft heralded Guia Roji mapset available many places including Amazon.com.

That will get you from town to town, and then save yourself a cabeza of headaches and simply employ a taxista to get you to the parking lot of your hotel. And to get you from your breakfast table to the beginning of your route the next day.

At some point in the future you'll have towns like San Miguel, Veracruz, Mazatlán, etc. almost memorized and you won't want the service of a taxista, and for me I like to help the local economies and ride through new, unknown towns looking at all the cool stuff following a taxista vs. trying to focus on a fuzzy Zumo display which doesn't autoroute for crap.

So yes I would get Bicimapas but assign it the lowly status it deserves (although in actuality there is nothing wrong with the product - you just don't need it per se)

I will say one of the paramount uses of any GPS in Mexico is recording coordinates of really cool places that you can use and share down the road. Really good hotels, restaurants, road turnoffs, vistas, are great reasons to capture GPS coordinates so you or friends can find them later.

But as for navigation, use a paper map.
I like the following taxistas thing, seems like a nice way to contribute to the local economy. Plus they're bigger than my display. I see there are a number of Guia Roji products on Amazon; one titled Mexico Tourist Road Atlas which sells for around forty bucks. Reading the two reviews unearthed a reference to another product "Quimera's Road Guide" at a lower price and claimed to provide a bit more detail. Always something isn't there? Comments?

Thenkuvermuch,

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #5351
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I see there are a number of Guia Roji products on Amazon; one titled Mexico Tourist Road Atlas which sells for around forty bucks. Reading the two reviews unearthed a reference to another product "Quimera's Road Guide" at a lower price and claimed to provide a bit more detail. Always something isn't there? Comments?
Get this one

Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #5352
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I like the following taxistas thing, seems like a nice way to contribute to the local economy. Plus they're bigger than my display.
In the beginning while you're getting used to this, you can use something you've printed in spanish asking for directions to your destination. Just leave the destination blank and tell him what it is.

Piece of advice: always negotiate the price of your taxi guide's services in advance. I neglected to do that once last month - in Chihuahua (city), and the taxista basically asked for double the going rate. Expect to pay on average about 70 pesos at most, unless you ask the taxi driver to wait outside a grocery store etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #5353
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,225
Omar's E32 cartography is good especially if you're going off-road.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #5354
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Omar's E32 cartography is good especially if you're going off-road.
And if you're camping, his tents are excellent too
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #5355
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
That's the truth

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote