Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #5521
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Your story is exactly like what you outlined, a FOAF.
Friend of a friend type.
The trouble didn't escalate 5 to 6 years ago, unless maybe they are buddies of AMLO. LOL!
not true... some of my information was gotten directly from folks that grew up in South America and have recently been back.

is it first hand, no I have not been to South America. like anything else, I'm digging into all resources available to me. including ADV feedback and folks that I personally know from South America.

rightly or wrongly conclusion is now is not the time for me to venture south. just because it's not the right time for me, that doesn't mean it will always be that way. there's plenty of world to see ...
all that means is South America will come later in my travels.

---------------

Ranked as the third most unstable region in the world in the post-war era, political
instability has been a pervasive problem in Latin America.1 In our sample of 18 Latin
American countries from 1971-2000, there were 20 coups d’etat, 451 political
assassinations, 217 riots, and 113 crises that threatened to bring down the sitting
government. 2 Only three Latin American countries were consistently democratic over
the thirty year period: Costa Rica, Colombia, and Venezuela.3 All of the rest of the
countries switched from a democracy to an autocracy (or vice versa) at least once. In
sum, political instability is a persistent and pernicious problem in the region.4
Given the many studies that document the negative relationship between instability
and capital accumulation (Alesina & Perotti (1996); Alesina et.al. (1996)), it is likely that this
instability has hampered economic development in the region. In this paper, we seek to uncover
the factors behind this instability. In a
In this paper we analyze the determinants of political instability in a panel of 18

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...pw-2EQ&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...w=1024&bih=674
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #5522
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
As a gringo public service I've volunteer for scout out Playa del Carmen for the holidays.
If anyone else is in the area between the December 21 - 31 can discuss the mission at Luna Blue.
Will test beer and other beverages for any dubious additives, tag any wandering dwarf's carrying cameras.
As well as interrogate random women.

KiloBravo screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 02:55 PM Reason: grammar
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #5523
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,083
Well, _cy_, you said it all when you said the time is not right for you. Only you can make that call and no one else. When it feels right for you to ride Mexico I'm sure you will and expect you'll have a great time to boot.

WRT how one defines an unstable region I offer 2 points:

1. what makes up the risk profile of the victims of violent crime?

2. is violent crime specific to certain geographic regions?

Mexico consists of approximately 2500 municipal districts with only about 80 suffering from the drug war.

I feel relatively secure riding solo in Mexico because I avoid known hot spots and I manage my risk profile to stay off-radar, so to speak. Hasn't required much to achieve this and the rewards have been phenominal. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
have not read this entire thread ... have read plenty of feedback from folks down south. I'm also comparing notes from Mexican folks that's been there. under no dis-illusions that all of Mexico is unsafe. just like anywhere else, there's places to visit and not.

the world is HUGE... why in the world should I visit UN-stable regions? South America has not always been this way. according to my Mexican friends, trouble escalated about 5-6 years ago after the crack down against cartels started. since then the violence has just grown.

this falls along with why should I visit Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, when there's so much world to see without additional dangers of being in an unstable region.

why not ship your bike to Australia? don't get me wrong, would dearly love to tour South America. just that the time is not right for me.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #5524
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
its getting safer

Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #5525
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
cy, if you come on this thread just to bash Mexico and spread some BS, you did your job.
Don't let the door hit you on the back end on your way out and have a Merry Christmas.
Come back when you decide to pop your cherry, this thread loves a good telenovela.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #5526
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Is Mexico Safe

Been going in and out of Mexico for 31 yrs. Last trip was Oct 2011. One of the Guys I meet in Oct was an Ex-Cartel who help dig the tunnels under the Rio Grand.
The best safety advice I have received thru out the years was “don’t drink the water”.
About 20 yrs ago I did have a drunk local Cop stick a shotgun in my face, but, it was because his beer money had ran out. I was glad to provide some funding.
Please, I you are dealing drugs, buying drugs or owe the Cartel money, let me know where you will be, so I can take another route. Other than that forget it and have fun. Get away from the big cities and enjoy the real Mexicans in the little villages. They will kill they last Chicken for you.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #5527
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Great info

Thx everyone for all the input. Actually I guess thanks fore the positive input. I guess if I didn't have some reservations it would be just a trip and not an adventure! I will stop listening to the people who talk about doing and stick to the people that are actually doing!!!

A couple remaining questions that I have: 1) Is it really necessary to get any shots for traveling through CA? I have heard mixed reviews on this and it is honestly something that I have not put any thought into on any trip that I have been on. 2) Do i need my original title? I hate the idea of carrying this with me! But if you copy AK titles they say VOID in the background.

Once again I am all ears to any and all info and meeting up with fellow riders. I think I am close to the point of over planning this. I hoped on rented bike in Thailand with a back pack and moped helmet and that was the trip of my life!!!!

If anyone would like to give info in detail to me just PM/email me.

Smitty
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #5528
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
cy, if you come on this thread just to bash Mexico and spread some BS, you did your job.
Don't let the door hit you on the back end on your way out and have a Merry Christmas.
Come back when you decide to pop your cherry, this thread loves a good telenovela.
NO I didn't come to this thread to bash Mexico... note OP's title is asking... Is Mexico Safe?
since I was originally headed south of the border, naturally who wouldn't want to know all possible details?

as for spreading BS... ALL articles were from reputable sources. hardly qualifying as BS.
information I posted was relevant to the topic at hand. don't know about you, but I'd much rather know all the gory details vs being in the dark.

almost sounds like the truth is not welcome in this thread.... have a nice xmas!

_cy_ screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 06:05 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #5529
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Thx everyone for all the input. Actually I guess thanks fore the positive input. I guess if I didn't have some reservations it would be just a trip and not an adventure! I will stop listening to the people who talk about doing and stick to the people that are actually doing!!!

A couple remaining questions that I have: 1) Is it really necessary to get any shots for traveling through CA? I have heard mixed reviews on this and it is honestly something that I have not put any thought into on any trip that I have been on. 2) Do i need my original title? I hate the idea of carrying this with me! But if you copy AK titles they say VOID in the background.

Once again I am all ears to any and all info and meeting up with fellow riders. I think I am close to the point of over planning this. I hoped on rented bike in Thailand with a back pack and moped helmet and that was the trip of my life!!!!

If anyone would like to give info in detail to me just PM/email me.

Smitty
Go to this site:
Mexico and Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #5530
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
As a gringo public service I've volunteer for scout out Playa del Carmen for the holidays.
If anyone else is in the area between the December 21 - 31 can discuss the mission at Luna Blue.
Will test beer and other beverages for any dubious additives, tag any wandering dwarf's carrying cameras.
Just spent 6 weeks at the Luna Blue. Good eating in Playa.

Outstanding marlin tacos here:

Best grouper I've ever had.

Best arrachera.

Los Aguachiles-best ceviche.
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #5531
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,884
Kool Fish is a great restaurant, dangerously good

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #5532
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post

Be careful around here. You might end up loving it too much, move here and become another transplant. It's not safe! (for your current house/job/life)

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #5533
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
"...poison your drink and take nasty pictures of you with dwarfs and animals,..."

Nobody ever told me about this one.

Guess that's why I've been missing out.

On a different note, I'd quit my job TODAY if I could find a company that would let me relocate to almost any city in Mexico and work my job from there.
dammit Schizzman that made me laugh so hard one of my ribs went into a spasm. i've been reading this thread for way too long (izzat Chinese?) and all i have to say is if Mexico isn't dangerous where's the adventure? may as well go to Detroit or Topeka. just my 2cts

LL75
larrylarry75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #5534
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #5535
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Thanks Other Guy and Supa12 Pilot that's the kind of info I'm looking for.
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote