Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #5536
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
NO I didn't come to this thread to bash Mexico... note OP's title is asking... Is Mexico Safe?
since I was originally headed south of the border, naturally who wouldn't want to know all possible details?

as for spreading BS... ALL articles were from reputable sources. hardly qualifying as BS.
information I posted was relevant to the topic at hand. don't know about you, but I'd much rather know all the gory details vs being in the dark.

almost sounds like the truth is not welcome in this thread.... have a nice xmas!
Cy, let's call a spade a spade and cut to the chase and forget the BS.
Read the stories, and then see what is actually happening? Do you actually believe everything you read in the newspapers and see on TV? Gory details? Guess you have never heard of "going postal" have you? You must have led some kind of magical life to have never witnessed violence in the first world countries.

Explain to me exactly why you are of any interest to any of the cartels?

Explain to me exactly why you would consider yourself a target?

What makes you so different from the hundreds of ADV motorcyclists who ride in Mexico every year?

Are you so different a rider that you face some sort of yet unheard of risk?

Reputable sources? LOL!
You are very much "in the dark" regarding Mexico. Stay home and stay safe, Cy.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #5537
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Interesting way of looking at things.

Personally, I have always felt that guv'mint can and should be as financially efficient as the private sector, although lately we as citizens don't seem to be trying hard enough to insist on lofty standards for guv'mint.

On the other hand I can see that there could potentially be some "quality" issues here. Never mind being provided with generic tequila instead of a reputable brand, the very thought of what the Feds might provide in the way of a "counselor" for conjugal visits kinda scares me.
OK, here's an e.g. of the feds efficiency(really this could go on forever): I did student financial aid for 10 years. The amount of $ spent for student aid is a known amount for each type of aid , federal, state & school based $. Also a known amt. is the salaries of those that ride herd on that money. When you total all those monies(yes, its actually been done years ago) the total becomes enough to send every student to college free(well sort of, if you call using MY MONEY! to pay for someone elses kids a "free ride") each year. This is a real example and I would think can be applied to many other areas of guvmint using our $ to buy a benefit for whomever. I'm not sure where the lofty standard part comes in but can assure you that the illegal activity(mostly proprietary schools) in student aid is an e.g. of not having "lofty standards being met". I never did understand how I could be audited twice each school year(state & fed) and yet there were schools sucking millions in cheat & from this aid? Perhaps a way of saying what I mean is that once you take away the huge admin cost there could be a savings here by not allowing the guvmint to ride herd? Now, as to Tequilla, 2 of my pills say no alcohol, so I'll have to pass there.
Conjugal visits are a fact in some prison settings in USA. No one holds your hand as I understand it.I do see where the immigration jails are not serving hot meals (this weeks news) as they should. I'll take the hots over the booze, just sayin...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #5538
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
frente a una copa de vino Lyrics
Luisito Rey

Frente a una copa de vino
Yo me río de mí
Me da una pena tan grande
Que me tengo que reír

Al saber que me has dejado
No te pienses que lloré
Unas copas me he tomado
Y al espejo me miré

Y me he dicho para mí
Y me he dicho para mí:
Con este tipo y sin dinero ¿quién me va a querer a mí?

Yo me río de mí
Que me tengo que reír

Aun recuerdo aquella noche
Que te invité a salir
Yo te dije “Tengo un coche que lo compré para ti”
Y cuando sin coche me vio,
Y cuando sin coche me vio,
Me dio un plantón tan enorme
Que aún me estoy riendo yo.

Yo me río de mí
Que me tengo que reír

Esta risa no es de enojo
Más no es por disimular
Y si hay lágrimas en mis ojos
Es de risa y nada más.
No preciso de tu amor
No preciso de tu amor
Pero si un día tu vuelves, que feliz sería yo.
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #5539
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
have not read this entire thread ... have read plenty of feedback from folks down south. I'm also comparing notes from Mexican folks that's been there. under no dis-illusions that all of Mexico is unsafe. just like anywhere else, there's places to visit and not.

the world is HUGE... why in the world should I visit UN-stable regions? South America has not always been this way. according to my Mexican friends, trouble escalated about 5-6 years ago after the crack down against cartels started. since then the violence has just grown.

this falls along with why should I visit Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, when there's so much world to see without additional dangers of being in an unstable region.

why not ship your bike to Australia? don't get me wrong, would dearly love to tour South America. just that the time is not right for me.

Did you know that Mexico is not in South America. You keep referring to Mexico being in South America.

Just rode the length of Mexico on my way to Panama last month. 3rd year in a row I have driven over the border. I have never experienced a problem or been threatened. I have been to Mexico 10 + times in the last 15 years and always have a great time.

I would say go and enjoy, but if you aren't comfortable, don't go. I feel safer there then in most major US cities.
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #5540
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
nothing to see in mexico, move along sir.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #5541
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #5542
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBike View Post
Did you know that Mexico is not in South America. You keep referring to Mexico being in South America.

Just rode the length of Mexico on my way to Panama last month. 3rd year in a row I have driven over the border. I have never experienced a problem or been threatened. I have been to Mexico 10 + times in the last 15 years and always have a great time.

I would say go and enjoy, but if you aren't comfortable, don't go. I feel safer there then in most major US cities.
thanks for the correction... Mexico is not South America.

trying to keep an open mind. for touring south of the border is a lot more accessible than shipping your bike overseas. original plans were to tour Alaska to Patagonia before shipping overseas.

what is the best route to take solo through Mexico and all the way down south?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #5543
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nothing to see in mexico, move along sir.
Love it!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #5544
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Like everything else "depends."

If you want to whip through Mexico as quickly as possible (and I am not dissing you here just trying to be informative) you can cross at Nogales and follow the toll road (Rt. 15) at least to Mazatlan. It's Interstate quality and your interaction with folks is pretty minimal except for going through some of the cities like Hermosillo.

I did this ride 10 years ago so things might have been improved for the better (like bypasses around some of the population spots) but you can get from Nogales to Mazatlan in an easy 3 days or a quick and efficient 2 days. Just follow our advice to not ride after dark.

After that you need to make a decision about continuing on Rt. 15 through the DF or following the coastline on Rt. 200. Two hundred will definitely be the more sporting of the two routes.

I am sure that others here have other routing options in mind and more recent experience than I have; I have never ridden south of Mazatlan although I have helped others plan trips down that-a-way.

Of course, if you want to ride through the Yucatan and into Belize and Guatemala then you need a completely different routing. A friend of mine that rode down to Tierra del Fuego and back a few years ago (you out there Tom? Hope that you are doing well! ) rode across to Mazatlan and then due south, and returned via the Yucatan and he told me that the Yucatan was his favorite part of the entire ride.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #5545
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:

trying to keep an open mind. for touring south of the border is a lot more accessible than shipping your bike overseas. original plans were to tour Alaska to Patagonia before shipping overseas.

If by "all the way down south" you mean Tierra del Fuego you'll want to go to the Ride Reports section and begin enjoying the many great reports posted there.

Check out banaman's Ride Report Link Thread. Great place to start.

A small sample of inmates who have posted TdF RR's I enjoyed:

Misery_Goat - great vids/tunes
Crashmaster - great humor
RoadHD - plain crazy
Dachary - lotsa detail/fastest Darian x-ing
RadioMan - ongoing RTW

"caroline" created a Nick Sanders double record thread you can look into for a really fast route, if that's what you're in to.

Enjoy!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 12:51 PM
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #5546
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:

Cy-

If you've never done Mexico on a bike, my standing offer, for any MexicoNoob is the free use of my Dr Benny's Riding Mexico DVD set. A recent timely disc with mostly interviews with seasoned Mexico riders, a good view for the uninitiated. A bit too beginner if one has rode down there a couple times.

A two DVD set, I think more than 3hrs of viewing.

The only thing I ask, is you return it to me..... so I can flip it to the next guy.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #5547
hackc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I just got back and spent 8 days in Mexico we had a great time and did 1100 miles off road so I would say yes but stay away from the border towns if you can...
hackc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #5548
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackc View Post
I just got back and spent 8 days in Mexico we had a great time and did 1100 miles off road so I would say yes but stay away from the border towns if you can...

I guess that I have a weird perspective on these things but I rather enjoy the border towns that I've been in. Gritty, industrial (I like mechanical things and commerce) ... geared for drinkin' gringos ... say what you want but I always have a good time.

Perhaps in this day and age Juarez would be the one place that I wouldn't hang out at (although I did take a leisurely tour of the very upscale seafood places and the not-so-upscale bars near the border a decade ago and comfortably lived to tell the tale) but honestly you'd have to work at getting into trouble in most border towns. And with a little research you'll find out that most have a tourist area where motorcyclists can go, hang out, and not have to worry at all.

With that said, for those who are still nervous, you can completely bypass Reynosa and Nuevo Laredo these days, and on most of the others you can ride down a main street or two and be out of town in 30 minutes.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #5549
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

I gotta agree with PJ here. The conventional wisdom says to avoid the border and cross with utmost haste, etc., etc. But that's not been my experience either in recent years. With good local knowledge and a bit of common sense you can spend a weekend just across the border and have a good time without ending up in the news.

Although doing so with PJ may significantly alter your risk profile.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #5550
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Cy,

The main reason PJ (and most of us) recommend you don't ride at night isn't because someone is going to jump out of a ditch and ambush you. It's because Mexico is open range country and all manner of livestock may be wandering on the roads, not to mention, dogs, Mexicans, cats, potholes, poorly marked road edges, etc. Just say no and ride during daylight hours and you'll have a great time.