Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #5551
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Although doing so with PJ may significantly alter your risk profile.

Too funny!

You are just nervous because of that T-shirt that I like to wear that says "Do not resuscitate unless loose women or hard liquor are available" in English and Spanish.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 05:58 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #5552
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Cy,

The main reason PJ (and most of us) recommend you don't ride at night isn't because someone is going to jump out of a ditch and ambush you. It's because Mexico is open range country and all manner of livestock may be wandering on the roads, not to mention, dogs, Mexicans, cats, potholes, poorly marked road edges, etc. Just say no and ride during daylight hours and you'll have a great time.
In fairness, I remember some discussions that if you were going to get 'jacked in Sonora (which used to, and I think still does, lead the country in kidnappings) that it was going to happen after dark.

With that said, who in the hell is stupid enough to try a 200-300 mile ride in a foreign country after dark when you can hit a local bar and possibly get lucky with a local senorita?

Seriously, I'll say it again. You need to be really an idiot or really working at it to get in trouble in most of these places. In this case, in Sonora and on the major road.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #5553
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Fruteria

[QUOTE=tricepilot;17517468]Please excuse the interruption in this fruitful discourse on border protocol....

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #5554
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
With that said, who in the hell is stupid enough to try a 200-300 mile ride in a foreign country after dark when you can hit a local bar and possibly get lucky with a local senorita?
I'll jack a line from a kinda-recent movie:

"What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. Well, except the herpes."

Y'all be careful down there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #5555
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post

trying to keep an open mind.
Amazing how 24 hours without reputable sources of news will change one's outlook on the world.LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #5556
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
I'll jack a line from a kinda-recent movie:

"What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. Well, except the herpes."

Y'all be careful down there.

Really. Wear your rubbers. And I don't mean those funny looking things that Totes sells that you put over your motorcycle boots.

Actually, I read somewhere that Mexican working girls that had gringo clients were more likely to have STDs than working girls that didn't have gringo clients. We can all draw our own conclusions there.

For anyone that's curious most of the working girls are required to get a physical once a week and someone does indeed enforce that law. I was at the nasty little bar in Progreso's version of Boys Town once when the MD showed up to draw blood.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #5557
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
when the MD showed up to draw blood.
Nah, that was the guy from the Hacienda SHCP. As in most countries, they advise you first by mail that you will be called in to bend over.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #5558
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
Looking at purchasing insurance for my bike while in Mexico. I have always used Sanborn's in the passed, but saw where Adventure Mexican Insurance (Platinum Travel Assistance Program) was recommended. The cost was in line with Sanborn's, but with much greater advertised coverage.
Advice, thought???
If you do enough research you will come to learn that there are a few actual insurers that provide the coverage in Mexico & many that sell those lines of coverage. You dont call the place that sold the policy in event of the need to make a claim, need service-you call the 800# on the policy to the main place. For me , the trick is to sift through those various sellers and come up with the best policy for my situation,pocket book and then the best price for that policy. If you shop travel/medical coverage there is the same situation , what with many companies selling various lines of coverage and even more choices of policy details to ponder.
Bottom line: separate the "agents" from the "insurers". Disclaimer: I don't know crap about insurance, but I do know how to shop for insurance!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #5559
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
Been going in and out of Mexico for 31 yrs. Last trip was Oct 2011. One of the Guys I meet in Oct was an Ex-Cartel who help dig the tunnels under the Rio Grand.
The best safety advice I have received thru out the years was “don’t drink the water”.
About 20 yrs ago I did have a drunk local Cop stick a shotgun in my face, but, it was because his beer money had ran out. I was glad to provide some funding.
Please, I you are dealing drugs, buying drugs or owe the Cartel money, let me know where you will be, so I can take another route. Other than that forget it and have fun. Get away from the big cities and enjoy the real Mexicans in the little villages. They will kill they last Chicken for you.
While I'm generally OK with what youv'e said I do take some issue with the fact that the "real Mexicans " are only in the villages, come on, there are some great friends to be made in the cities!!! I know!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #5560
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
peace to all .. apologies if I've offended anyone in this thread

just enjoyed this lovely breakfast ... hope to share breakfast with some of you down south when I do make it that way.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #5561
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:

just enjoyed this lovely breakfast ... hope to share breakfast with some of you down south when I do make it that way.

Keep in touch!

Which bike would you take down there?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #5562
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
If you look closely, you can make out the image of Emiliano Zapata on one of the sausages
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #5563
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bogeyman and the bad guys called, they say they still want you to apply for a teaching position in Guerrero.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #5564
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

And now back to our program already in progress...

`Millions of Mexicans ready to cheat on spouses'
Brazil Sun
Thursday 15th December, 2011
(IANS)

Some 12 million married Mexicans of both sexes are dissatisfied with their sex lives and open to the idea of cheating, according to estimates by the operators of a web site that facilitates 'discreet' extramarital flings.

The ohhtel.com site 'has had strong growth' since expanding its services to Mexico Nov 9 and now has 72,000 users in the country, the spokesman for the Mexican operation, Eneas Mares, told EFE.

The estimate of how many wedded Mexicans are prepared to venture outside their marriages is based on telephone surveys carried out in each of the eight countries where ohhtel.com operates.

The US survey found as many as 80 million people who are unhappy enough in their marriages to contemplate having an affair.

Founded in 2009 and available in Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Peru, Paraguay and all three countries in North America, ohhtel.com has 2 million subscribers in all.

Women make up 40 percent of the site's 72,000 Mexican clients, while only 30 percent of Brazilian users are female, Mares said.

'We have observed that this tendency (of women signing up) is growing, and we expect it to be 50-50 men and women in the first quarter of next year,' he said, noting that the median age of Mexican subscribers is 30, compared with 33 in Brazil and 36 in the US.

Subscriptions to ohhtel.com in Mexico run 320 pesos ($23) a month for men, but women can use the site free of charge.

--IANS/EFE

Mexico is obviously officially safe for "El Sancho"! LOL!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #5565
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Keep in touch!

Which bike would you take down there?
thanks for asking...

been restoring a 74 R90S reliable enough to tour anywhere. here's my thread documenting the process. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730033

but due to 9.5 to 1 compression concerns on R90S. been looking hard for a R80G/S or GSPD or R100GSPD that's better suited for rough conditions.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote