Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #5581
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post

So, my "safety questions:"
1. Where's the easiest, safest, or most pleasant place to cross the border if I'm heading for the CC?
Probably Presidio. I think that I'd avoid Juarez to be honest.

Quote:
2. Any insurance carrier the hands down preferred carrier?
Pass on this question.

Quote:
3. Should I buy a mesh jacket or is my Aerostitch Darien approriate attire for the party I'm expcting?
Aerostich Darien. At the end of January it's going to be surprisingly cold at higher elevations. When I was there years ago at one of the train stations there was a light dusting of snow in mid January. A few years ago a group of ADVRiders got snowed in by a freak snowstorm that hit Creel and the Mexican guv'mint had to call out road graders to clear the roads.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #5582
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,226
"Ace Seguros" sounds like an insurance agent by day and a superhero by night.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #5583
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Aerostich Darien. At the end of January it's going to be surprisingly cold at higher elevations. When I was there years ago at one of the train stations there was a light dusting of snow in mid January. A few years ago a group of ADVRiders got snowed in by a freak snowstorm that hit Creel and the Mexican guv'mint had to call out road graders to clear the roads.
In January in those mountains youre going to be a bit chilly to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
"Ace Seguros" sounds like an insurance agent by day and a superhero by night.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #5584
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb May I barrow your inflatable doll

www.tomzap.com

I'm headed south for the winter and need an inflatable doll to ride with me for bandits and check points. Do I have to purchase a new one, are they cheeper in Mexico? If people are cracking up laughing, being mean would be difficult. She does not need to be naked except on Zipoleta and I promis to take her out for coffee, dinner and drinking. She can save my life when I get cought in the riptide at Zicitella. Why is everybody always lookin at me? Let's give them something to talk about and a laugh. Captain Tom

If I ducktape her feet to the pegs maybe they will not get cought in the spokes.
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #5585
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman View Post
www.tomzap.com

I'm headed south for the winter and need an inflatable doll to ride with me for bandits and check points. Do I have to purchase a new one, are they cheeper in Mexico?

Dunno if I'd want sloppy seconds ... particularly with a latex inflatable doll.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #5586
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
There's a Harley guy in Xalapa that has the important parts of an inflatable doll attached to the back of his leather vest.
First time I saw it I laughed my butt off outside the Covadonga restaurant in Perote early one morning. Good guy, good sense of humor.
I've got to dig out the photo, next time I see him I'll ask him the how, and more importantly, the por que!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #5587
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
This would be a good time for Arte and Andres to jump in ... they both live in what those of us from Kentucky would call The Big City.
Andres and myself migrated from a "little village" to a big city

seriously, 90% of big cities residents have their first roots on little villages, and most of them returns for a visit from time to time. So there is not much difference on real mex. Only those whom feel themselves too sophisticated to acept their roots.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #5588
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Andres and myself migrated from a "little village" to a big city

seriously, 90% of big cities residents have their first roots on little villages, and most of them returns for a visit from time to time. So there is not much difference on real mex. Only those whom feel themselves too sophisticated to acept their roots.

I think that it was kinda that way for those of us from my generation here in the States. We grow up in a small town, move to a bigger city for education and careers, and then at some point in our lives at least consider moving back to smaller towns for the peace and better riding opportunities.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #5589
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Our Cultural Moment

"El Vendedor de Alcatraces" by Diego Rivera

Alcatraces = Calla lillies (or variously, pelicans). Derivative of their shape by origin of the arabic influenced linguistic "al-catras", or bucket of a water wheel. Alcatraz prison island in San Francisco bay so named for "Island of the Pelicans".

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 10:22 AM Reason: And c'mon, you know who Diego was married to, right? And who played her in the movie?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #5590
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,234
^^^ That is so cool. The shapes, colors, and dynamic of the vendedor(es) lifting the flowers.

jimmex screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 07:28 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #5591
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
I think that it was kinda that way for those of us from my generation here in the States. We grow up in a small town, move to a bigger city for education and careers, and then at some point in our lives at least consider moving back to smaller towns for the peace and better riding opportunities.

So right,
Raised in a small fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico. Still live within 15 miles of the town. Surrounded by trails, back roads and short distance to some great motorcross tracks.
Stood in a housing project with Metro Ministries some where (?) in NYC. Where are the bike trails? (yes.. we have some very nice easy riding bicycle paths) Man get me back to red neck country. I guess this was the day I realized I was addicted to small towns!!
Even in Mexico..
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #5592
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=7

If you need further convincing, read this single post by Nata Harli, if not the entire thread that it is embedded in
I can't say enough about the service I've received from MedJet. There is no way I would travel without it.

Both times I've used them the phone probably didn't ring more than 3 times before it was answered by a real, live person. When I was at the public hospital in Guatemala they spoke with the doctor personally and later when I was at a private hospital they again spoke with the doctor there.

I'm pretty sure they could have denied coverage if they wanted to get really technical. I think you are supposed to be non-ambulatory to get flown home and by the time I left the private hospital I was on crutches which I would consider ambulatory. However, I got nothing but first class service from them and they never questioned my status. They just made all the arrangements to get me home.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Nata Harli thought Medjet gave frequent flyer points Just joking , Ken

IIRC the m/cycle extraction is good in MX but not further south as Nata Harli discovered when he biffed in Guatemala
Allan, I've got so many frequent flyer miles I'll never be able to use them.

And, you're right. Bike extraction is only covered in North America, not Central America. And, let me tell you, it's quite expensive when you fly back down to Guatemala after recovering and try and get your bike out of the country with expired paperwork.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #5593
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I'm pretty sure they could have denied coverage if they wanted to get really technical. I think you are supposed to be non-ambulatory to get flown home and by the time I left the private hospital I was on crutches which I would consider ambulatory. However, I got nothing but first class service from them and they never questioned my status. They just made all the arrangements to get me home.
Actually, Ken, you were well within MedjetAssist's rules and your situation in Guatemala is a textbook example of how the service works. You didn't need transport via lear jet with a doctor and a nurse, as most people typically envision extraction services. But that doesn't mean Medjet leaves you out in the cold. Since you were on crutches you technically in their eyes were unable to get home "under your own power", and Medjet was able to determine that you could fly commercially. Placing you in First Class wasn't a gift, it was a necessity, given your injury (max legroom). Medjet will alway assess whether you need to be flown out "on a stretcher" or flown out commercially, as comfortable as possible.

Since Ken's biff was in Guatemala, Medjet's motorcycle extraction didn't apply since it was in Central America. And without motorcycle extraction benefits anywhere, one has to consider what to do with the bike after the crash. But it does bring up an interesting point for the motorcyclist who biffs in Mexico, Guatemala, or anywhere else.....what is your (speaking to everyone) family going to do if you can't travel on your own and you need to be extracted back home to the United States? Without medical evacuation insurance, it's going to get rather tedious, stressful, logistically painful and of course expensive to finally get your busted body back to Sheboygan. And do you really want to wait in a foreign hospital while your wife, mother, father, brother etc. figures all this out? And let's say you're sitting down there with a bunch of busted ribs, will you be happy that your only realistic option is to take the bus home? And with certain injuries, a medical facility (in Mexico or anywhere else) could be well within their capacity not to release you unless you are going to be flown home. Do you want to wait down there?

The bottom line is this: As part of Risk Management, not enough adventurers in Mexico (or anywhere else) really fully analyze "what will I do if I crash and I'm very seriously hurt". Too many limit their thinking to what they'll do if their bike doesn't start. Fewer push their thinking to include, "what will my family have to do if they have to come get me because I don't have air evac insurance". When riders think of risk, all too often they think of their own risk. We need to include the risk we expose our families to as well. When we crash, they are forced to respond. Make it easier for them by purchasing a medical extraction plan. The cost can be well managed.

Medjet isn't the only provider out there, and there are companies that provide charge per-day plans. I've seen these around 4 to 5 bucks per day. Always read the fine print and know what you're buying. I go with MedjetAssist since I know what I'm buying and don't have to worry about it.

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 07:15 AM
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #5594
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Thank you but no thank you

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #5595
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I can't say enough about the service I've received from MedJet. There is no way I would travel without it.

Both times I've used them the phone probably didn't ring more than 3 times before it was answered by a real, live person. When I was at the public hospital in Guatemala they spoke with the doctor personally and later when I was at a private hospital they again spoke with the doctor there.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Allan, I've got so many frequent flyer miles I'll never be able to use them.

And, you're right. Bike extraction is only covered in North America, not Central America. And, let me tell you, it's quite expensive when you fly back down to Guatemala after recovering and try and get your bike out of the country with expired paperwork.
If you have Adventure Mexican Insurance (Platinum plan) do you also need Medjet Assist? AMI indicates that they will provide air and land Ambulance coverage? I am a little confused and what is really needed.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote