Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #5596
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
If you have Adventure Mexican Insurance (Platinum plan) do you also need Medjet Assist? AMI indicates that they will provide air and land Ambulance coverage? I am a little confused and what is really needed.
From a purely technical perspective, you don't. I use Mexadventure and am aware of their coverage regarding extraction, but am more comfortable adding MedjetAssist due to their track record and proven performance. If and when I start hearing good, anecdotal stories about Mexico insurance writers "secondary services" and extraction out of Mexico, then I'll consider dropping Medjet. I think it'll be a stretch that I do, however. It boils down to this - if you really, really seriously biff, you don't want to have to wade through any red tape or unfamiliar processes. I'm more comfortable given the stakes involved turning my broken body over to Medjet and letting them take me where I need to go. I also think their coordination service (between medical facilities abroad, at home, and your family) is second to none. In other words, I want the "A" team and a company that does this for a living, not a side benefit.

But you bring up a good point, not enough Mexico insurance purchasers realize the coverage they do have with the policies they do buy. Not enough people read the fine print.

I'll also add that if you do go with MedjetAssist, you're covered worldwide, not just in Mexico. That includes the US of A, also, if you're more than 150 miles from home. Best bang for the buck. Good piece of mind for your family.

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 09:05 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #5597
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

This Date in Mexican History - 18 December 1865

On this date in Mexican history, President Benito Juárez established his government in Paso del Norte (known today as El Paso) in the state of Chihuahua.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #5598
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

Beats my Spanish all to heck!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #5599
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,193
Tricepilot has some good advice in his post, here is why.
Yesterday, I was riding with a friend and a friend of his whom I had never met before. We are all over the age of 50, responsible for the most part. Unfortunately, the friend of my friend dropped his Kawasaki sport bike on an interesting section of newly paved curves coming out of Manuel Gonzalez towards Mataluca. A simple low side that turned into a spin and a toss, and could happen to anyone, he is a good rider. I was already way down the road and checked from time to time in my mirrors for my friend who was in the middle of our little group of 3, the guy on the Kawi was third. About 15kms down the road I stopped and let my buddy catch up and inquired as to the whereabouts of the Kawi pilot. No idea says my buddy. As we are pondering this, a VW Jetta pulls up and the guy asks if we are waiting for another motorcyclist, yes, we are as a matter of fact. He tells us the guy is down. One of life's little "Oh shit" moments begins.
We head back not knowing exactly where he went down and we are combing the road looking for him. We finally locate him standing by the road near a house where a couple of good kids and a taxi driver who had stopped had pushed it.
He says his collarbone is broken. Indeed it is but not too bad, no external fracture and it looks cracked and in one piece.
So on goes a quick figure of 8 bandage made up of his nylon jacket liner and we put him on the back of my bike and off we go for a long ride to the ISSTE in Veracruz. Sure there are a couple of little local clinics but it is Sunday afternoon, getting later, and nobody will likely be working and if they are they are just going to send him to a main hospital anyways.
Imagine being a passenger with a broken collar bone and crossing about 125 topes, pot holes, etc... as the road changes from new pavement to old pavement for the ride in which took almost 2 hours. We got into the Emergency ward and they shot him up and he felt better in about 5 minutes. When we reached the main hospital my friend had gone home to get his car and return so he could take him to another hospital as the main hospital had no x-ray equipment or ortho expert that was functioning.
Long story short, they found the fracture, changed out the improvised figure 8 for a real good set up, and sent him home.
Now, this happened amongst three riders who live here, speak the language, and know the health system.

If he had been a traveler, how many days would the bike be sitting in the yard of the friendly people who offered storage for it? We were lucky with that part. It will be picked up later today.

If we didn't know the area or speak the language, how long would it have taken to get him some help?
We were lucky with that part, too, as it presented no issues for us.

If he didn't have Mexican Seguro Social we would have been off looking for a private hospital that had a decent set up and would take his insurance if he had private insurance or his Visa card. Things would have gotten more complicated much quicker.

If the local police had gotten involved, how much longer would that have taken?

What I am saying is that it can happen to anyone at anytime. When we had set off for breakfast and the ride, this was the last thing we expected. He's a good rider, and an accident is an accident, things happen. He'll be a month out of the saddle.

This was a pretty good ending, about the best you can hope for here, but it could have been a much longer and more painful experience. I think Trice is correct in what he says. The hardest part was trying not to hit any topes that were unmarked and to change up and down without too much excess movement of the bike as every little thing provoked a shot of pain for the guy. The good thing is that we are not sitting around in some little clinic doing an impression of "Waiting for Godot".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #5600
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,983
Good outcome and valuable lesson. I still can't comprehend why people don't buy insurance.
Of course, there are many people here in the great U.S. of A. who don't have basic insurance because they know someone else (the public) will take care of them.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #5601
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I hope this guy continues to heal. Your story is timely to the discussion as a real-world example of a crash situation to be faced in Mexico. Yes, if he had been a transient adventurer, a painful collarbone break with the attendant spectacle of trying to get home, and get the bike home, would present quite the challenge.

No doubt if he had been a moto traveler with MedjetAssist, Medevac, or similar, he would at least have been flown home from Veracruz either by commercial jet, or if the pain was too severe when moved, on a stretcher via a medevac flight. And with bike insurance on top of his coverage ($25 bucks per year at Medjet), they would be dropping that off at his door. No having to heal up and go back with a truck to fetch your motorcycle.

Specific to the collarbone, that's a fairly common break when falling off a motorcycle or bicycle. When my wife fell off her bicycle training for the Ironman, she broke her collarbone nasty style. A complete break with nasty edges. The slightest movement meant wrenching pain To fix it, it had to be plated during surgery, but before the operation, the pain had to be managed with dilauded. Her surgery was a walk in the park. Her waiting until surgery was a nightmare. Not every collarbone break is the same and they can be all over the pain scale. Some people only need a sling if the break is slight, and others can hardly move at all.

Pass our best to your riding friend.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #5602
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I am also going to add an ace bandage for basic slings to my tank bag, the nylon jacket liner wasn't most ideal set up as it gets a little uncomfortable when warm and can slide.
The good thing is that all is well for the holidays!

On a brighter note, there is some preliminary planning and discussion of a plan for a Mexico Rat Ride from Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz in under 24hrs for 2012. We need to get organized here and see if we can apply for the process and make it a "go". If it happens I will post the date here with plenty of aviso and see if anyone wants to do a version of the Iron Butt with narcos chasing you and shooting at you and bombs going off and zombies attacking etc...
Just kidding.
I've always wanted to do a Rat ride and missed last year's due to not paying attention.
It is going to be discussed soon here in Veracruz more seriously and then see if we can begin the contacts for the application and such. There was a coast to coast friendship ride last year that initiated the idea. Hopefully we can make it a reality here.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #5603
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Mexico taxi project

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #5604
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Las Barrancas

Bearded Bob A. last month in the Copper Canyon. Veterans will know exactly where I took this photograph because of the unique monolith in the background.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #5605
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Roadblock

We blocked traffic on the bridge at the lowest point in the canyon system in protest of a general cause (because we couldn't agree on a specific cause in advance. )

The only problem was there was no traffic to block and collect a "toll" from

Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #5606
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

On a brighter note, there is some preliminary planning and discussion of a plan for a Mexico Rat Ride from Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz in under 24hrs for 2012. We need to get organized here and see if we can apply for the process and make it a "go". If it happens I will post the date here with plenty of aviso and see if anyone wants to do a version of the Iron Butt with narcos chasing you and shooting at you and bombs going off and zombies attacking etc...
Just kidding.
I've always wanted to do a Rat ride and missed last year's due to not paying attention.
It is going to be discussed soon here in Veracruz more seriously and then see if we can begin the contacts for the application and such. There was a coast to coast friendship ride last year that initiated the idea. Hopefully we can make it a reality here.
The Asphalt Rats are doing the Rat Ride-Saddle Sore Rally -"End of the world edition" in the state of Chihuahua in July of 2012. Would the Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz ride be in addition to the Chihuahua ride?

I plan on doing the Chihuahua ride. I would be interested in the Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz ride if you can guarantee the part about "with narcos chasing you and shooting at you and bombs going off and zombies attacking etc...". Needs something to make it interesting, other wise it would be just another ride.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #5607
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dust View Post
The Asphalt Rats are doing the Rat Ride-Saddle Sore Rally -"End of the world edition" in the state of Chihuahua in July of 2012. Would the Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz ride be in addition to the Chihuahua ride?

I plan on doing the Chihuahua ride. I would be interested in the Veracruz to Acapulco to Veracruz ride if you can guarantee the part about "with narcos chasing you and shooting at you and bombs going off and zombies attacking etc...". Needs something to make it interesting, other wise it would be just another ride.
We are still in the very early discussion stages of this at the local level here in Veracruz and I have made contact with the Rats to see what can be done and perhaps something can develop. I am also guaging interest of participants at the same time. The Chihuahua one looks like a real good one, the Veracruz-Acapulco-Veracruz would be something additional only if it can be developed. The idea popped up in the annual general meeting of the local BMW club here and a few of us want to see if it can be developed. We have people in the club who are Rat members so that will help.
So it is only at the idea stage at the present.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #5608
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Depending on when it is, I am interested.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #5609
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I can't say enough about the service I've received from MedJet. There is no way I would travel without it.

Both times I've used them the phone probably didn't ring more than 3 times before it was answered by a real, live person. When I was at the public hospital in Guatemala they spoke with the doctor personally and later when I was at a private hospital they again spoke with the doctor there.

I'm pretty sure they could have denied coverage if they wanted to get really technical. I think you are supposed to be non-ambulatory to get flown home and by the time I left the private hospital I was on crutches which I would consider ambulatory. However, I got nothing but first class service from them and they never questioned my status. They just made all the arrangements to get me home.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

Allan, I've got so many frequent flyer miles I'll never be able to use them.

And, you're right. Bike extraction is only covered in North America, not Central America. And, let me tell you, it's quite expensive when you fly back down to Guatemala after recovering and try and get your bike out of the country with expired paperwork.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but given the fact that I'm thinking GT in the near future I'm wondering if Medjet would have moved your bike back to the USA if it had been taken into Mexico from GT by someone else? Big ifs huh? If the "ifs" don't work with them, does any other company cover the cost of moving the bike from below Mexico? Thanks in advance!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #5610
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but given the fact that I'm thinking GT in the near future I'm wondering if Medjet would have moved your bike back to the USA if it had been taken into Mexico from GT by someone else?
Not trying to replace Carnac the Magnificent (old Johnny Carson skit) here, but I would offer this: that defeats the rules. Not that hard to imagine that the Medjet folks would smirk at a request for a rider to be flown out of Guatemala and his bike to be hauled out of Mexico.

There is a super easy way to be sure: call Medjet.