What is 'not even good business'?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #5613
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Medjet

[QUOTE=tricepilot;
No doubt if he had been a moto traveler with MedjetAssist, Medevac, or similar, he would at least have been flown home from Veracruz either by commercial jet, or if the pain was too severe when moved, on a stretcher via a medevac flight. And with bike insurance on top of his coverage ($250 bucks per year at Medjet), they would be dropping that off at his door. No having to heal up and go back with a truck to fetch your motorcycle.

[/QUOTE]

OK..I am sold .. Medjet it is .. $250 is a small price for the peace of mind it provides.. and after speaking to tricepilot.. +$25 to get the bike out of Mexico

Flagixxer screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 07:23 PM
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #5614
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
No doubt if he had been a moto traveler with MedjetAssist, Medevac, or similar, he would at least have been flown home from Veracruz either by commercial jet, or if the pain was too severe when moved, on a stretcher via a medevac flight. And with bike insurance on top of his coverage ($25 bucks per year at Medjet), they would be dropping that off at his door. No having to heal up and go back with a truck to fetch your motorcycle.
I fixed the quote so as not to confuse.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #5615
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Another Ins question

So I am about to buy my Mex ins. I had planned on getting just liability but now I am considering full coverage from HDI or ACE. They say they will cover total theft and that if you have damage you could get your repairs done n the US. Does anyone have any experience with full coverage. I already have MedJet with bike extraction, is this redundant to have full coverage?
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #5616
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
The one medical condition that scares me in Mexico is a significant head injury (yes, you can bet I always wear my helmet). If you a near Guadalajara, Mexico City, or maybe Monterrey, you might have a chance. Out in the boonies, I'm not so sure. I doubt there are a lot of neurosurgeons. I go to Mexico once or twice a year and I am pretty aware of the health care challenges. I am confident the doctors are well trained. I just think the sub-specialties are not well represented and there is a distribution problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #5617
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
So I am about to buy my Mex ins. I had planned on getting just liability but now I am considering full coverage from HDI or ACE. They say they will cover total theft and that if you have damage you could get your repairs done n the US. Does anyone have any experience with full coverage. I already have MedJet with bike extraction, is this redundant to have full coverage?
HDI and ACE are underwriters. You really should call the company from whom you plan to purchase insurance and discuss and become clear on their specific obligation to you should you need to move a non-operative motorcycle located in Mexico, and know the difference between moving the bike to a repair shop in Mexico versus who (you or them) has the burden of paying to get your bike to the US to get fixed.

If you're seriously hurt and flown out with Medjet, they can extract your bike (from Mexico, if you purchased the bike extraction coverage), Remember they are not insuring your bike for repairs, just moving it. There are other implications involved if you want to get your bike fixed, such as having the appropriate Mexico insurance on the bike and reporting the accident while still in Mexico, where the company's adjuster needs to see the bike. You would have to work with Medjet to let this process unfold before the bike was extracted.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #5618
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
The one medical condition that scares me in Mexico is a significant head injury (yes, you can bet I always wear my helmet). If you a near Guadalajara, Mexico City, or maybe Monterrey, you might have a chance. Out in the boonies, I'm not so sure. I doubt there are a lot of neurosurgeons. I go to Mexico once or twice a year and I am pretty aware of the health care challenges. I am confident the doctors are well trained. I just think the sub-specialties are not well represented and there is a distribution problem.
I used to worry while parachuting that my chute wouldn't open, and with my luck, the ambulance would probably be late also.

There are things you can control, and things you can't.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #5619
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

On the subject of medical evacuation, here's a capture from Adventure Mexico Insurance's website:

LINK

Clearly, when purchasing motorcycle insurance through them, you receive additional benefits as shown.

As I've mentioned before, I still purchase MedjetAssist for two very big (to me) reasons: (1) Medjet is worldwide and (2) Medjet does this as their primary task. If I really need to be flown out of Mexico (or anywhere else), I want the "A" team.

For some, just knowing that similar coverage is available as a side benefit of simply purchasing Mexico insurance on their bike may be more than enough.

Everyone's mileage varies.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #5620
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Morning Coffee with Ximena Navarrete

Because the eyes have it

Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #5621
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Clearly, when purchasing motorcycle insurance through them, you receive additional benefits as shown.

As I've mentioned before, I still purchase MedjetAssist for two very big (to me) reasons: (1) Medjet is worldwide and (2) Medjet does this as their primary task. If I really need to be flown out of Mexico (or anywhere else), I want the "A" team.

For some, just knowing that similar coverage is available as a side benefit of simply purchasing Mexico insurance on their bike may be more than enough.

Everyone's mileage varies.
Muchas gracias .. usted es el hombre
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #5622
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
one medical condition that scares me in Mexico is a significant head injury (yes, you can bet I always wear my helmet). If you a near Guadalajara, Mexico City, or maybe Monterrey, you might have a chance. Out in the boonies, I'm not so sure. I doubt there are a lot of neurosurgeons.
Actually, you would be surprised at the number of competent neurosurgeons available in most urban areas throughout Mexico. Of course, you are correct about the boonies part, but you will likely find some sort of ambulance to take you what could be up to a 300km trip.

If the guy had been hurt any worse, we would have flagged down a taxi and gotten to the nearest clinic with maybe a CB radio alert in advance to someone nearby a rural clinic. It wouldn't have been easy and would have added an entire other dimension to contend with.

The single biggest problem here is that the widely available public health care varies from the sublime to the completely and criminally inept. Though the doctors might be competent the resources might never have arrived due to graft and corruption. Private hospitals are fine but they are going to perform a very delicate and highly risky to you procedure first. They will biopsy your wallet before proceeding. If the results prove positive you will be fine, if they are negative you will not.

I am at a loss as to why so many riders here don't even have basic insurance on their bikes, let alone any thing extra in the way of health care. I've seen a few total loss bikes here and the owner carried no insurance other than one of those little laminated plastic cards with a drawing of the Virgin of Guadalupe on it. I recommend you carry something more substantial than that because she might be busy at the time you require her services. Though infrequent, this has been known to happen. Crisis moments are measured in Mexico by how many per minute per sq kilometer multiplied by the square root of the local cacique's or caudillo's mood at any given moment rather than a simple tabulation equation. Results will also vary due to local geography, phase of moon, cheap alcohol available, and if el selecion nacional de futbol is winning or not.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #5623
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I used to worry while parachuting that my chute wouldn't open, and with my luck, the ambulance would probably be late also.

There are things you can control, and things you can't.
I used to wake up with a head injury while traveling Mexico. Been doing better with this in recent years.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #5624
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I used to wake up with a head injury while traveling Mexico. Been doing better with this in recent years.
For that type of medical emergency you call "Midget" instead of "Medjet".
Your request will be promptly attended to by turning on the TV when lucha libre is on.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #5625
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I made the comments about head injuries only because I was in the medical industry for 32 years and have spent a lot of time in ER's and OR's seeing the aftermath of mishaps. I also witnessed my wife have a concussion injury as the result of a bicycle accident that didn't seem very serious. Yes, she was wearing a helmet. After she crashed and we cleaned up the wounds,she saddled up and we rode the remaining mile home. she later didn't remember riding home. Classic symptom of a concussion.
Even though head injuries concern me, I still ride Mexico and my biggest concern is that there is cerveza fria when I get where I'm going.