Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #5626
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I still ride Mexico and my biggest concern is that there is cerveza fria when I get where I'm going.
Life's good, ain't it?
Rhetorical question!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #5627
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I used to wake up with a head injury while traveling Mexico. Been doing better with this in recent years.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #5628
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
The upside of a concussion is that you may cause some damage to your amygdala ("limbic structure involved in many brain functions, including emotion, learning and memory. It is part of a system that processes "reflexive" emotions like fear and anxiety.")

Entonces, changes to the amygdala may reduce your level of fear and anxiety of travel in Mexico. Learned that from my new neighbor an anesthesiologist.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #5629
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
anesthesiologist
You had to look that word up and check the spelling, bet 5 bucks
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #5630
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
"Gas passer" is easier.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #5631
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You had to look that word up and check the spelling, bet 5 bucks
yep
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #5632
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

I am at a loss as to why so many riders here don't even have basic insurance on their bikes, let alone any thing extra in the way of health care.

I have had Medjet but haven't been buying accident insurance in Mexico. I also don't carry liability in the USA (not required on a motorcycle in Florida and, yes, I am still theoretically a Florida resident).

Then again, with the exception of some poor kid that rear ended my Chrysler on the Univ. of Kentucky campus the year that I got out of college, I have never had a motorcycle or auto accident {knocking on wood}

So just to play Devil's Advocate let's say that I can relate.

Now ... with that said ... I don't currently have US health insurance. Can a non-resident gringo buy health insurance in Mexico, particularly something that would take care of you if you have a motorcycle crash?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #5633
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I have had Medjet but haven't been buying accident insurance in Mexico. I also don't carry liability in the USA (not required on a motorcycle in Florida and, yes, I am still theoretically a Florida resident).

Then again, with the exception of some poor kid that rear ended my Chrysler on the Univ. of Kentucky campus the year that I got out of college, I have never had a motorcycle or auto accident {knocking on wood}

Now ... with that said ... I don't currently have US health insurance. Can a non-resident gringo buy health insurance in Mexico, particularly something that would take care of you if you have a motorcycle crash?
Yes. But it's reimbursement only.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #5634
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I don't currently have US health insurance. Can a non-resident gringo buy health insurance in Mexico, particularly something that would take care of you if you have a motorcycle crash?
This is a good question and on the surface the answer appears to be yes. A simple Google search for "travel medical insurance" will yield pages of results.

One of the ones that popped out at me was Frontier Medex.

[UPDATE] I called MedexAssist, they are not related to MedjetAssist

[UPDATE] Motorcycle riders are covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Yes. But it's reimbursement only.

[UPDATE] Outpatient costs are "pay and submit", in other words, you pay the provider and submit for reimbursment.

Inpatient services, to obviously include treatment for major injuries and hospitalization, these costs are paid directly from MedexAssist to the provider.

[UPDATE] This is a travel medical policy, coverage does not apply in the US

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 02:46 PM
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #5635
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Good job, TP!

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #5636
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:

www.insuremytrip.com they sell lots of this stuff
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #5637
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

One of the comments made by the phone rep for Medex was they do Medjet-type medevac extraction as well. I didn't press for details nor have I looked into it on their website, but someone reading this may want to explore it.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #5638
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
I have had Medjet but haven't been buying accident insurance in Mexico. I also don't carry liability in the USA (not required on a motorcycle in Florida....).... with that said ... I don't currently have US health insurance.
Not trying to be rude or cause a stink, but I don't get it. Why buy MedJet - maybe with motorcycle rescue - and not have health insurance? What happens if you are seriously injured, requiring extensive follow up care? MedJet sends you back to the US to the hospital of your choice. What hospital do you go to with no medical insurance? Who pays for you in the US? We don't have "socialized medicine" in this country.....it's pay as you go....

My health insurance is incredibly expensive, since I have to buy it as a self employed individual. On the repatriation side of insurance, Medjet is a more expensive repatriation policy. There are several similar policies out there with the same benefits but lower costs. For me, not being wealthy and still having the burden of regular health insurance, I've used the Geos product for repatriation services, which does not include motorcycle repatriation. I'll take my chances with my motorcycle, but I'd like to have my health maintained.

After spending 2 years in low level hospital work (general and ER orderly/aid), with the way I saw uninsured patients were treated, I'll never live in the US without some sort of health insurance coverage.

I guess that's the beauty of our free market system, in that there are choices. Enough; this became a rant - back to "how to not get shot in Mexico"
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #5639
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
back to "how to not get shot in Mexico"
That is the easy part, your health insurance card will take the impact of the bullet!
If you are being chased by narcos at 100mph just put the card in your rear pocket, if you are heading into a shootout then you swap its location to your front chest pocket. When you are able to do this at over 100mph and have it certified by at least two independent judges who have never been in Mexico before, then you will be ready to ride these roads of doom.
If you are kidnapped and held for ransom and Lassie is no where near by, you can also use the health card as a makeshift improvised knife to free your hands from the ropes and then you can also liberate the Salma Hayek lookalike from the train tracks and escape the dreaded narcos together!
A healthy book deal and a movie of the week await you on your return to the extremely safe roads of the USA...and Santa Claus exists, too.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5640
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I have seen the horrors’ of the Mexican Hospitals when a Mexican had no health insurance. His face was kicked off by a bull. He was hold it on with his hand. When he got to the Hospital, they turned his away and told him to go to the Red Cross. The Red Cross agreed to help him. The Hospital sawed his face back on and send him home! No follow-up, no medication! A year later, he still looked like walking died. The hospital was in Ciudad Victoria the capital city of the Mexicanstate of Tamaulipas.
If you do not have health insurance in Mexico and get injured, run, crawl, what every you need to do to get back to good old USA.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote