tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #5642
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, there goes my appetite for lasagna

tricepilot..Go ahead and eat..my last horror story ..
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #5643
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, there goes my appetite for cheese pizza
Fixt.

I stopped to render aid at a car crash some years ago. Ended up holding a guy's face on with my hands.

Definitely cheese pizza.

Guess it's a good thing I'm eating a Chicken Caesar Salad right now.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #5644
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I stopped to render aid at a car crash some years ago. Ended up holding a guy's face on with my hands.
You did what most people wouldn't do in this day and age. Hats off
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #5645
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Districto Federal, Tenochtitlan & San Juan De Los Lagos

Fotos de un viaje de fin de semana a la Ciudad de México, pirámides y San Juan de los Lagos, con mis vecinos y amigos.

Kiko screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 07:50 PM
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #5646
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
^
Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #5647
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Fotos de un viaje de fin de semana a la Ciudad de México, pirámides y San Juan de los Lagos, con mis vecinos y amigos.

Bellas imágenes de la Ciudad de México
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #5648
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,614
Very nice, Kiko!

Thanks for sharing.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #5649
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
No trip is complete to Mexico City without a cab ride into El Centro. So yes from this photo we can see that Mexico is dangerous as the passenger my friend Luis does not have a seat belt.

Luis told me that if we were carjacked that I should take out my keys and shove them up my nose. Once bleeding I should say, "soy pinche gringo punale" and then the sequestradores would let us go. He read that on the internet somewhere.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #5650
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Having played hockey, I would also hate to lose a good "face off".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #5651
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Not trying to be rude or cause a stink, but I don't get it. Why buy MedJet - maybe with motorcycle rescue - and not have health insurance? What happens if you are seriously injured, requiring extensive follow up care? MedJet sends you back to the US to the hospital of your choice. What hospital do you go to with no medical insurance? Who pays for you in the US? We don't have "socialized medicine" in this country.....it's pay as you go....
Not a problem Amigo. You asked politely.

Let me clarify - when I had MedJet I was a corporate wage slave and had their group insurance so I was ready to get flown back to the States.

Now that I am a member of The New Economy I have been working as a "contractor" without benefits for awhile I don't have any health insurance. Hence the reason why I was asking about medical insurance in Mexico for non-legal residents (where I live I can basically get to a Mexican hospital as easily as I can get to a big US hospital).

[/QUOTE]
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #5652
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I got to use some insurance last summer and while it wasn't in Mexico, it relates to the insurance discussion.

Had a getoff on a gravel road in Montana (my fuckup). My buddy picked my bike up for me and after a few minutes to catch my breath, we decided to carry on. Knew things weren't quite right when I could feel rattling in my shoulder with every bump I hit. Then decided to aim the GPS to the nearest hospital - took about an hour of gravel and hour of pavement to reach Kalispel Hospital. Turns out I had completely broken my collarbone with an extra piece or two floating around and ruptured my lung.

Have travel insurance as part of my work benefits and had purchased MedjetAssist. Phoned both. Turns out my travel insurance also provides transportation home. Both of them indicated they wanted to Medivac me home because of the lung. I thought it was a bit unnecessary but they insisted. The travel insurance people wound up looking after the MediVac. Both the travel insurance and MedjetAssist told me they contract out air evacuation and I suspect most, if not all, insurance companies contract the actual airplanes and crew.

The only glitch is that they will only transfer by MediVac from a hospital where you have been admitted to a hospital with a bed available. Our local hospital is filled to overcapacity and it took them 2 1/2 extra days before a bed came available (par for the course with our wonderful gummit run health care). Travel insurance didn't blink on paying for the extra days in Kalispel.

MedJet Assist brought my bike home for me. I had the bike picked up at the hospital by a local towing company who held it until the motorcycle movers picked it up. I had to pay for the storage with the towing company. It took about a month to get it back but MedJet phoned me every week or so and gave me an update.

Was happy I had both insurances. However, am considering not renewing my MedJet Assist for my upcoming trip to Mexico since the evacuation coverage seems redundant with that provided by my travel insurance. So, it looks to me that I would be paying $275 just for bike extraction insurance. Seems a bit steep and I just may have to take my chances.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #5653
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Xalapa, Veracruz last night

I had to make a quick trip to Xalapa, Veracruz this weekend, which is something I do every 2 months or so.

Anyway, my friend and I were on our way back to his house in Xalapa last night after an evening of billiards and tacos, and as we were making our way through the centro, we turned left onto a fairly big thoroughfare, 2 lanes in each direction, divided only by a double yellow line.

As we made our turn, a car coming in the opposite direction crosses the double yellow onto our lane. Then, another car tears out around them into the far right lane, so we now have 2 cars heading at us in our 2 lanes. We stop, and one of the cars cuts sharply in front of the other, still on our side of the street, and the driver jumps out with a pistol in his hand and approached the car he cut off.

We didn't stick around to see what happened. Didn't see anything on the web or in today's paper about it, but still pretty freaky.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #5654
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Xalapa?
See menu and choose one or a combination:

1) ROAD RAGE - Because Xalapa, if not under some form of half finished road work, is under a consistent siege in the center core by anyone from peregrinos to naked protesters, celebrating anything from the Virgin to criminally high electrical bills.

2) UNPAID BILLS - Because the state government is headquartered in Xalapa and has stiffed so many local business people it is likely in the Guiness book of records. Or it should be.

3) DAUGHTER PREGNANT - This usually involves a shotgun and a wedding, though it could be limited to a handgun and a quick civil ceremony.

4) PARKING PLACE OCCUPIED - Someone moved someone's battleship anchor chains, paint buckets filled with cement, old wheel with metal post in it, etc... and occupied a prime parking spot.

5) OSTRICH TAKEN OFF THE MENU - If it happened near or on the avenue of Maestros Veracruzanos, it could be related to the grilled ostrich having been removed from the menu or maybe they skimped on the portion. I will have to investigate this first hand, however, with my trusty but often cold friend El Indio, and get back to you on this.

6) MISUNDERSTANDING BETWEEN YOUNG MALES - This usually involves a variation of point number 3 which is a subsection marked "Girlfriend pregnant" and involves older/younger brother and friends, cousins, uncles, and maybe the check out girl from Chedraui at Plaza Cristal. It is often characterized by backwards baseball caps, Mini Coopers, Versace clothing, and copious amounts of hair gel and perfect teeth from the father's aguinaldo from the previous year.

7) DELAYED REACTION FROM AUTO TIANGUIS SUNDAYS - Self-explanatory and could have involved failure to pay tenencias past and present, payment with funny looking $500 pesos notes printed in Tepito, etc...

8) INSULT RELATED TO THE PARENTAL LINEAGE OF ONE OR BOTH PARTIES MAKING REFERENCE TO ANIMAL DNA BEING PRESENT ON THE MATERNAL SIDE OF THE FAMILY - This is unlikely as it is usually limited to the Cardel area and involves machetes.

What Xappens in Xalapa stays in Xalapa!

Was this one of the vehicles?

http://www.notiver.com.mx/index.php/...d=3&posicion=2
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #5655
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

This just in!
Take a look at the spelling mistake that AP made in the title.
Andale!
Orale!
Though disbanding the entire police force a few days before Christmas is likely going to spike the percentage of loose cannon cops andan por todos lados.
It sounded like the fall of Saigon with the helicopters earlier today.

Mexico disbands entire police force in tope port

VERACRUZ, Mexico (AP) — A Mexican state plagued by drug violence has disbanded the entire police force in the major port city of Veracruz, and officials say the Navy will take over.
The Veracruz state government says it's part of an effort to root out corruption from law enforcement and start from zero in the city of Veracruz.
State spokeswoman Gina Dominguez said Wednesday 800 police officers and 300 administrative employees were laid off. At a press conference, she said they can still apply for state police jobs but must meet stricter standards.
Armed marines have barricaded police headquarters and Navy helicopters were flying above the city where 35 bodies 35 bodies were dumped in September. It was one of the worst gang attacks of Mexico's drug war.