Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #5701
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
I would recommend carrying about $200 in cash just in case something like this would happen. Better to part with $200 than have a nice bike ripped off by zetas and start walking home. JMHO.

Interesting. I would be worried that the bad guys would take both the bike AND the cash, although that's kind of a moot point since I stash my cash on my bike.

If in Monterrey keep your money in your motel room and offer to trade the money for the bike down at the Centro in the middle of the day?

This, of course, is one of those reasons why I usually rode the older of my two GS's in Mexico. I would have hated to lose it, but it really wasn't worth losing my life over.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #5702
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
There is a huge difference between an isolated attack on a bus and fear of attacks on moto travelers.

The analogy would be "a mall shooting in St. Paul" and an aversion to riding a motorcycle in Minnesota.

I hadn't heard of this tale, but if the lady and her children were all killed and no (or few) other passengers were killed then there is more to the story here. Someone smarted off to the bandits, perhaps? Or they were targeted.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #5703
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I would be worried that the bad guys would take both the bike AND the cash,
If the bad guy started out wanting your bike, and you thought you could buy him off for "$200", that is exactly what would happen.

A thief would have to be a pretty dim thug to pass up that combo
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #5704
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
There is more to the story here...... Or they were targeted.
There is definitely something more to the story than as printed,
Old 12-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #5705
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

There was some poor kid that was a student at the university in McAllen who was pulled off of a bus and shot. I have always thought that he was personally targeted for some reason, or that he smarted off to the bandits.

Anyway, not to 100% excuse this nonsense. Many of us were shocked to find that 2 or 3 entire busloads of folks were killed in San Fernando. But that has been almost a year ago, and an isolated incident.

And as has been pointed out, not only does this not apply to motorcycle tourists, but the odds of a tourist being in the wrong place at the wrong time is pretty durned low.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #5706
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
The bad guys shot up two buses they had already stopped, this resulted in the civilian deaths, when the third bus pulled up, the driver step down off the bus to see why the others had stopped and he was shot.

The military responded when they had heard about a grenade attack in a town, they intercepted the bad guys and killed them all. The next day, 10 decapitated bodies appeared near Tampico Alto right up near the Veracruz and Tamaulipas state line. Those are the events.

As far as Zetas stealing motorcycles, I have not heard of one case of this. I don't doubt a bike was stolen but how did someone know it was a Zeta?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #5707
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The next day, 10 decapitated bodies appeared near Tampico Alto right up near the Veracruz and Tamaulipas state line.
Bodies of the bad guys or something else?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #5708
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

El Higo is over by San Luis Potosi, right on the state line in the Huasteca Alta region.
The headless bodies were found on the Tamaulipas - Veracruz state line area near Tampico Alto.
The local buzz is that the events were related somehow but who knows, the distance is fairly far away from the original event. It is a fair trot from El Higo over to the upper end of Tamiahua where Tampico Alto is. Though "far" is a relative term, of course.

It isn't going to stop me from paying a visit to Andres later this week! Just hope the weather cooperates because it is blowing pretty good right now with some rain and it is cool out.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #5709
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
7 people were killed in total. Including the driver of the bus.
Borderlandbeat has the story right now.

I know people that have had trucks stolen in Nuevo Laredo. Some people have been able to buy off the zeta with $500 and been let go with the truck. Word is if they catch you on the road to Monterrey, you need to cough up $300 or they are going to take something from you. Vehicle stolen, women raped, people kidnapped, etc.
I know nobody wants to hear bad news but I am just sharing what I am getting from locals I know who HAVE to travel in Mexico.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #5710
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Word is if they catch you on the road to Monterrey, you need to cough up $300 or they are going to take something from you. Vehicle stolen, women raped, people kidnapped, etc.
Was on that stretch recently. Not much going on.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #5711
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
There was some poor kid that was a student at the university in McAllen who was pulled off of a bus and shot. I have always thought that he was personally targeted for some reason, or that he smarted off to the bandits.

Anyway, not to 100% excuse this nonsense. Many of us were shocked to find that 2 or 3 entire busloads of folks were killed in San Fernando. But that has been almost a year ago, and an isolated incident.

And as has been pointed out, not only does this not apply to motorcycle tourists, but the odds of a tourist being in the wrong place at the wrong time is pretty durned low.
There is no university in McAllen although UTPA does run the McAllen Teaching Site there.

Link to the story; it was a UT-Brownsville student who was murdered. Link to a second article.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #5712
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The bad guys shot up two buses they had already stopped, this resulted in the civilian deaths, when the third bus pulled up, the driver step down off the bus to see why the others had stopped and he was shot.

The military responded when they had heard about a grenade attack in a town, they intercepted the bad guys and killed them all. The next day, 10 decapitated bodies appeared near Tampico Alto right up near the Veracruz and Tamaulipas state line. Those are the events.

As far as Zetas stealing motorcycles, I have not heard of one case of this. I don't doubt a bike was stolen but how did someone know it was a Zeta?

It was a tio of my brother in law in Monterrey. The criminal stuck a big ass gun in his face and took the bike. In some way the criminal identified himself as a zeta.
It was probably a zeta, but could have been a zeta copy cat which are actually being killed by zetas for stealing the name without "rights."
Old 12-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #5713
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Was on that stretch recently. Not much going on.
That is great news. I hope things are going to settle down more in 2012.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #5714
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Borderland Beat is usually much slower in reporting than the Mexican news agencies and independent web sites.
They are faster with stuff much closer to the US border as stories there will move simultaneously with the Mexican counterparts.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #5715
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Some of the Borderland Beat news is accurate but keep in mind the following:

"Most of the information and content is derived from open source media, unconfirmed individual sources and personal view point of author. Most content is for information purposes only and is not from direct official sources and in most cases not confirmed." .....

The above information is posted on the Borderland Beat:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2009/04/about.html
at the bottom of the page under How

It is no secret that various narco gangs have submitted news stories to Borderland Beat and other narco blogs in an attempt to outdo each other and intimidate.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote