Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #5716
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
[/B]

It was a tio of my brother in law in Monterrey. The criminal stuck a big ass gun in his face and took the bike. In some way the criminal identified himself as a zeta.
It was probably a zeta, but could have been a zeta copy cat which are actually being killed by zetas for stealing the name without "rights."
In Oct, many small business owners were closing because of local gangs claiming to be drug cartel demanding money. As one lady said, Regardless if they are cartel or not they still had guns!!
From Matamoros to the Mts south of Xititla all we saw was Military. One half tow pickup had what looked like a 50 cal machine gun mounted on a rack? I would not want to be in the cab if they fired that sucker, the concussion would blow you ear drums out.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #5717
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
From Matamoros to the Mts south of Xititla all we saw was Military. One half tow pickup had what looked like a 50 cal machine gun mounted on a rack? I would not want to be in the cab if they fired that sucker, the concussion would blow you ear drums out.
Yes, I see that everyday. You get so used to it that when people who haven't seen that before start reacting you wonder what all the fuss is about.

If you want to hear what that sounds like, go to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSOyCXyhzi0

Listen for the loudest of the shots fired and the difference. That one was about a block from my mother in law's house.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #5718
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
There is a huge difference between an isolated attack on a bus and fear of attacks on moto travelers.

The analogy would be "a mall shooting in St. Paul" and an aversion to riding a motorcycle in Minnesota.
The only difference I see is that a motorcycle would be a much easier target than a bus! Plus being from the US, they know we are all "rich". I just returned from a 6,700 ride down to Baja, 3,000 of those miles in Baja and I had no problems other than being given a 100 peso coin as chaqnge. Plus, I plan on traveling through Mexico on the way south in late February or early March. I am certainly more concerned than I use to be, It is not a matter of if, but when it begins involving motorcyclist! Of course there are those that will blame such incidences on the motorcyclist instead of the simple fact that the "gangs" are operating seemingly above the law and of course, it all happens in the US anyway. Right?

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 06:38 AM
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #5719
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
As far as news reporting in Mexico,
Remember the old saying>
If it bleeds, it leads.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #5720
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Donnie, you know the area, if you are traveling from El Higo to say, Tampico, and you are on a contracted bus at Christmas time and have money and gifts for relatives and for your holidays, you might think twice about doing the run at night. Especially late at night and after there had been an attack in the town.
Here in Veracruz, which is considered an epicenter of violence in Mexico and now with the military in charge of the police force that were all fired the other week, not one traveling motorcyclist has had a problem.
If you are looking for targets, a nice fat Lincoln Navigator loaded down with old people wearing lots of expensive jewelery and Gucci luggage might be considered a little more special than an old gringo on a somewhat new and fairly high mileage motorcycle.
You'll still have fun and you don't need to worry!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #5721
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I am certainly more concerned than I use to be, It is not a matter of if, but when it begins involving motorcyclist!
Anything can happen anywhere. Police are reporting frequent, random, daytime, drive-by shootings (with an AK 47) on the east side of San Antonio, a stone's throw from where I live. Hasn't stopped daily life here.

Evolving bad guy news in Mexico or here should help shape your travel decisions and protocols.

Come to a conclusion and ride (or not) with it. As has been before here, everyone's experiences and risk managment profile is different. There are no absolutes or perfectly right or totally wrong conclusions.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #5722
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

dwj-Donnie>
Take Bato with you, he is always looking for an excuse to ride to Mexico,
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #5723
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
The only difference I see is that a motorcycle would be a much easier target than a bus! Plus being from the US, they know we are all "rich". I just returned from a 6,700 ride down to Baja, 3,000 of those miles in Baja and I had no problems other than being given a 100 peso coin as chaqnge. Plus, I plan on traveling through Mexico on the way south in late February or early March. I am certainly more concerned than I use to be, It is not a matter of if, but when it begins involving motorcyclist! Of course there are those that will blame such incidences on the motorcyclist instead of the simple fact that the "gangs" are operating seemingly above the law and of course, it all happens in the US anyway. Right?
I don't see it as a matter of ease but of interest. And so far I've seen no clear pattern of crime targeting motorcyclists traveling Mexico. Few isolated events, really. But this is what we are all watching and listening for. And if such a pattern develops in Mexico it won't matter if it's also happening in the US, I won't ride that area until the criminal activity is resolved.

Who can explain why Mexican criminals have shown no real interest in gringo motorcyclists? But they haven't and I see no point in confusing buses with bikes.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #5724
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Chief of Security for El Chapo Guzman was caught yesterday. Suppose Mexico is safer today,
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #5725
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
Almost nightly reports here latley on that east side. Dude, your like one tuff hombre over in your barrio !!!!

Dont feel too bad reports of skeletal remains found over here on Southwest side yesterday.

Just kick back and crank up some rolling stones
Allman Bros. soothes the soul.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #5726
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
Almost nightly reports here latley on that east side. Dude, your like one tuff hombre over in your barrio !!!!

Dont feel too bad reports of skeletal remains found over here on Southwest side yesterday.

Just kick back and crank up some rolling stones
Forget Mick and Greg. I'm a Rush man these days. I'm almost through Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

The man ate pollo en mole negro in Oaxaca at Asador Vasco!! The man didn't get tableside overlooking the zocalo, but I lucked out. Check it out if you have the book, page 210, bottom paragraph. What a book!! His book Roadshow is next.

Neil Peart is a Mexico rider. That makes him king of rock.

My serving of same last October at Asador Vasco in Oaxaca:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #5727
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I noticed that today's big Mexican cartel news, other than the capture of What's His Face's former head of security, are those bodies that turned up in a truck in San Fernando. Probably cartel on cartel violence, but sadly the military haven't gotten San Fernando completely under control yet.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #5728
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Come and try the mole in Naolinco, Peart would be pounding a 4/4 beat on the table with his bare hands for more after one taste.
I have an excellent mole with longaniza story to tell you that involves a Harley rider who is terrified of heights. LOL!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #5729
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
In Oct, many small business owners were closing because of local gangs claiming to be drug cartel demanding money. As one lady said, Regardless if they are cartel or not they still had guns!!
Just walked in the house; was in Progreso with a friend from Beaumont. Not many shoppers and quite a number of businesses closed due to dearth business and extortion. The larger businesses are probably paying a pretty penny. I did notice that the military machine gun emplacement is gone. I did not see a single solder (or policeman).

I used to do a ride across the Harlingen bridge to my birthplace of Valle Hermoso and back across at Reynosa because the loop does not require a permit but have not done it in quite a long time. Riding through is safer than that narco loop.

It'll be interesting to see whether Calderon's replacement will stay the course, fold or go some other way. Seems to me there aren't too many choices.

At some point I suppose the 2012 presidential election chatter will increase here on the IMS thread. July will be here before too long.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #5730
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Forget Mick and Greg. I'm a Rush man these days. I'm almost through Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

The man ate pollo en mole negro in Oaxaca at Asador Vasco!! The man didn't get tableside overlooking the zocalo, but I lucked out. Check it out if you have the book, page 210, bottom paragraph. What a book!! His book Roadshow is next.

Neil Peart is a Mexico rider. That makes him king of rock.

My serving of same last October at Asador Vasco in Oaxaca:
I remember reading a few pages of Ghost Rider but putting off getting into it 'cause I knew it was going to be excellent and would not want it to end. Finally read it and it was, of course, fantastic. Worth re-reading which I'll do.

I've got Roadshow waiting in the wings but am working on Kevin Cameron's TDC volume I which is also excellent.