Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #5731
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Forget Mick and Greg. I'm a Rush man these days. I'm almost through Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

The man ate pollo en mole negro in Oaxaca at Asador Vasco!! The man didn't get tableside overlooking the zocalo, but I lucked out. Check it out if you have the book, page 210, bottom paragraph. What a book!! His book Roadshow is next.

Neil Peart is a Mexico rider. That makes him king of rock.

My serving of same last October at Asador Vasco in Oaxaca:
I remember reading a few pages of Ghost Rider but putting off getting into it 'cause I knew it was going to be excellent and would not want it to end. Finally read it and it was, of course, fantastic. Worth re-reading which I'll do.

I've got Roadshow waiting in the wings but am working on Kevin Cameron's TDC volume I which is also excellent.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #5732
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,784
2012?
We've got a choice between a woman with solid political experience and no record of corruption (who will be the likely candidate) OR an opportunistic tantrum throwing left winger who was a right winger and said he had a Nissan but was in a luxury vehicle and was a Priista but then changed to Prdista and who had originally crawled out of a swamp in Tabasco along with Madrazo OR a photogenic yuppie who can't remember how his first wife died and then immediately remarried a soap opera star and, when asked recently, can't remember the titles and authors of 3 books he has read and then his daughter went on a Tweet rant and condemned the working class people of Mexico as an uneducated proletariat who are beneath her status and class and her father was then labelled as "hueco" (hollow) and that came, not from the Mexican media but from the French media, who usually go soft on politicians. LOL!

And you think there is going to be a debate about this? Chale! The debate you speak of might be as to how filthy dirty and dangerous the campaign is going to be. Sera una buena.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #5733
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Well, I pretty much got the responses that I expected.

I think many here are so quick to defend and minimize the things that are happening that they fail to see the primary point that I am trying to make. Many of us that love riding in Mexico are concerned about the gangs that operate above the law. Does anyone think that the Feds will be anymore successful at stopping activity against motorcyclist than they have with any of the other criminal activity? As far as them not wanting to harm the tourism industry, it has not been harmed, it has just about been killed! For the time being, I will continue to travel in Mexico. But I will not travel with the illusion that nothing is going to happen to me because I am on a motorcycle. Or the old stand by, even if it does, the same thing happens in the US.

BTW, I will be heading out late February or early March. I will be headed in the direction of Panama, I may or may not make it that far. Plan on traveling six to eight weeks. Will use Libre roads, stay in small towns as much as possible. I like to stay around the common folks. If you like traveling that way, drop me a line. I will probably be on the KLR again, but will be staying on pavement as much as possible. I expect to ride 8,000 to 12,000 miles. My total travel plans is in the few sentences in this paragraph.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #5734
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
My total travel plans is in the few sentences in this paragraph.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #5735
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Come and try the mole in Naolinco, Peart would be pounding a 4/4 beat on the table with his bare hands for more after one taste.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #5736
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I've got Roadshow waiting in the wings but am working on Kevin Cameron's TDC volume I which is also excellent.
Top Dead Center - now I have another book to line up
Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #5737
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Does anyone think that the Feds will be anymore successful at stopping activity against motorcyclist than they have with any of the other criminal activity? As far as them not wanting to harm the tourism industry, it has not been harmed, it has just about been killed! For the time being, I will continue to travel in Mexico. But I will not travel with the illusion that nothing is going to happen to me because I am on a motorcycle. Or the old stand by, even if it does, the same thing happens in the US.
I have only heard of one case of a motorcyclist being targeted in Mexico that was bonafide and it was on the west coast and the details were somewhat interesting as it involved a member of a group of riders with a chase vehicle accompanying them.

The point you are trying to make is, frankly, quite moot.

Tourism in Mexico was actually up last year, due in large part to deals in Cancun and other destinations that have seen near zero narco violence. Tourism here in Veracruz is down anywhere from 10% to 50% depending on which hotel owner you are talking to. In one case, I have literally seen the numbers and it was around 12% down. It is far from "just about been killed".

Traveling anywhere comes with no illusion, Mexico especially. However, in just the last 2 years I have covered close to 35,000kms absolutely problem and threat free throughout what the US State Department considers to be one of the most dangerous places for US tourists. There have been 3 narco shootouts in my neighborhood and one massive body dump a kilometer away as the crow flies. I still ride as often as I can and do not consider motorcycling an activity subject to any extra scrutiny on the part of any members of organized crime. You should ask Greg Powell about Veracruz for an objective opinion. He was warned he would face severe problems in Mexico while he was in Texas and he crossed at Matamoros and was staying less than 100meters from the massive body dump and never felt unsafe during that time and during his entire stay in Mexico. In fact, he was surprised at how different the reality was from what he had been warned about. The only problem Greg had prior to his problems in Guatemala (and not Mexico) was the theft of a gas can in Alaska of all places.

I am not apologizing or defending anything that has happened here, it is just that there seems to be a massive psychosis about motorcycle travel in Mexico being somehow more dangerous or different than before the narco violence heated up. This psychosis is stoked by the alarmist reports from the US State Department, the US media, and countless people who honestly don't have a clue what they are talking about. Now, you are not in any of those groups, you have experience in Mexico and you have enjoyed it. All I am saying is that everyone should take a good long look at the reality of the situation and how the numbers show something totally different from what many have been led to believe.

Every weekend throughout Mexico, literally thousands of motorcyclists who live here go for a ride and enjoy themselves as much or even more so than before. Motorcycling in Mexico has never been easier for visiting riders who have such luxuries nowadays as GPS, access to more clean accommodations, plenty of safe water, instant banking, etc... It is a far cry from the old days. Those of us that live here deal with things differently, for starters we don't give much thought to what the US State Department emits as bulletins for travelers and what they consider to be safe and not safe.

Yes, I would like to see more in the way of security in Mexico but that is because I live and do business here. Travelers are passing through and don't even make a blip on the radar save for sensationalist stories that have some interesting circumstances.

Ride Mexico and enjoy it, just like you have always done and always will. Excess weight of worry slows you down.
Enjoy 2012 riding in Mexico Donny! It isn't as if it is the end of the world...or maybe it is, you know, there has been a lot of press about those pesky Mayan shaman guys.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #5738
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Hey Mike!

You left out 1/2 price cuotas for MC's.

WooHoo!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #5739
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Hey Mike!

I love it when you hit the mezcal and get on a roll

Just kidding. Well put.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #5740
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, but they just put the price up 10% the other day without notice.
I am going to check this out on the weekend, if I get up to see Andres before then, I am going to take the little "detour" under the bridge at the south side of the La Antigua toll and follow the river and go through the impromptu toll for free along the river road and come out just above Cardel and save myself $42 pesos or so on the way up and the same amount on the way back, which will be just about my gas money. Time difference will be about 20 minutes tops.

Like the old MasterCard commerical....local rider knowledge, priceless. LOL!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #5741
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hey Mike!

I love it when you hit the mezcal and get on a roll

Just kidding. Well put.
Speaking of mezcal, La Picota distillery lies along the Panamerican Hwy just north of Cd. Vic.

Prolly NOT SAFE!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #5742
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Speaking of mezcal, La Picota distillery lies along the Panamerican Hwy just north of Cd. Vic.

Prolly NOT SAFE!
Let's go find out
Old 12-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #5743
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I have only heard of one case of a motorcyclist being targeted in Mexico that was bonafide and it was on the west coast and the details were somewhat interesting as it involved a member of a group of riders with a chase vehicle accompanying them.

The point you are trying to make is, frankly, quite moot.

I do not distinguish the difference of transportation in non-drug related victims. If it continues to spread, no one will be left out.

Tourism in Mexico was actually up last year, due in large part to deals in Cancun and other destinations that have seen near zero narco violence. Tourism here in Veracruz is down anywhere from 10% to 50% depending on which hotel owner you are talking to. In one case, I have literally seen the numbers and it was around 12% down. It is far from "just about been killed".

And how was it compared to five years ago? The main place I wanted Sheryl to experience on our last trip to Mexico was Creel. Yes, tourism was absolutely dead there! The street scene I wanted her to experience no longer existed! It did not seem to be going too strong in Baja where I just come from either. But I had a great time!

Traveling anywhere comes with no illusion, Mexico especially. However, in just the last 2 years I have covered close to 35,000kms absolutely problem and threat free throughout what the US State Department considers to be one of the most dangerous places for US tourists. There have been 3 narco shootouts in my neighborhood and one massive body dump a kilometer away as the crow flies. I still ride as often as I can and do not consider motorcycling an activity subject to any extra scrutiny on the part of any members of organized crime. You should ask Greg Powell about Veracruz for an objective opinion. He was warned he would face severe problems in Mexico while he was in Texas and he crossed at Matamoros and was staying less than 100meters from the massive body dump and never felt unsafe during that time and during his entire stay in Mexico. In fact, he was surprised at how different the reality was from what he had been warned about. The only problem Greg had prior to his problems in Guatemala (and not Mexico) was the theft of a gas can in Alaska of all places.

When bodies are being stacked up in your neighborhood, you are in danger regardless of what method of transportation you chose!

I am not apologizing or defending anything that has happened here, it is just that there seems to be a massive psychosis about motorcycle travel in Mexico being somehow more dangerous or different than before the narco violence heated up. This psychosis is stoked by the alarmist reports from the US State Department, the US media, and countless people who honestly don't have a clue what they are talking about. Now, you are not in any of those groups, you have experience in Mexico and you have enjoyed it. All I am saying is that everyone should take a good long look at the reality of the situation and how the numbers show something totally different from what many have been led to believe.

The reality is what is beginning to concern me. BTW, I have never read a report from the State Department. Most of what I know about the problems in Veracruz came from you.

Every weekend throughout Mexico, literally thousands of motorcyclists who live here go for a ride and enjoy themselves as much or even more so than before. Motorcycling in Mexico has never been easier for visiting riders who have such luxuries nowadays as GPS, access to more clean accommodations, plenty of safe water, instant banking, etc... It is a far cry from the old days. Those of us that live here deal with things differently, for starters we don't give much thought to what the US State Department emits as bulletins for travelers and what they consider to be safe and not safe.

Yes, I would like to see more in the way of security in Mexico but that is because I live and do business here. Travelers are passing through and don't even make a blip on the radar save for sensationalist stories that have some interesting circumstances.

Ride Mexico and enjoy it, just like you have always done and always will. Excess weight of worry slows you down.
Enjoy 2012 riding in Mexico Donny! It isn't as if it is the end of the world...or maybe it is, you know, there has been a lot of press about those pesky Mayan shaman guys.
For the time being, I will continue to ride Mexico and will be through there in a couple of months. But, I won't wait to get concerned till they start hurting retired, over weight, hair thinning, gringo moto riders. The more regular folks get hurt, the more concerned I will be! And we both know more regular folks are being hurt!

And what is this about the Mayan Shaman Guys???
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #5744
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
If this way in Jalisco, feel free to stop by and say hi, kiko
Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #5745
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post