Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #5926
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidereStudios View Post
LaOutbackTrail,

That 80 series LandCruiser in the last picture is almost exactly what I am shooting for...minus the extra cargo on the roof rack and the Hi-lift jack on the front. And a little more worn.

Obviously, like you said, none of these rigs are subtle. However, I think the advantages and disadvantages in relation to a motorcycle win out for me. I love camping for extended times and exploring muddy and remote tracks over long distances, which is a dilemma that currently can't be solved adequately in my mind with a motorcycle.
Well, in the instance of that 80.... they have 3 or 4 young kids. Some of the gear fits in the cargo area, but with a family of that size, things go on the roof. They did a shake down run before their Central America adventure into Colorado. They used the largest Eezi-Awn tent and wasn't quite big enough for them, so they resorted to a ground tent (also on the roof).

Like I said earlier, I think families with children have an advantage when faced with scary scenarios. Unless the bad guys are doped up on drugs (again, not good for business, but possible) it would take the nastiest of ruthless people to do much of anything to the family... If not then you are just as unlucky as the family who careens off of a cliff in Colorado. One of the things that goes through my mind quite frequently is the question of what would I do in that scenario... as Trice mentioned earlier, it seems a key (bad) situation is trying to flee... I'm wondering if I were faced with the situation is if it would be beneficial to slow down, roll the windows down, and possibly even just play the stupid gringo roll... Obviously if they have the road barricaded, it wouldn't be wise to try and drive through them. If nothing else I'd hopefully see them in time to slow down and maybe even turn around.

Traveling south of the border cant be much more inherently dangerous than motorcycle riding itself... why fret what *could* happen when anything could happen to you any time of the day, anywhere in the world?
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #5927
Tlaloc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Different denominators

Regarding the comparison of Mexico's and the US's 2010 homicide stats: one has to look at the rate rather than the actual number. 14K murders in a country of 110M is a higher rate than 14K in a country of 300M.

But I'm still going on my trip.
Tlaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #5928
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Previous poster is right; however, I suspect most of the murders in either country are often drug related.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5929
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidereStudios View Post
Yeah, I watched those two stories with intense interest. I think obviously it pays not to run when people have automatic weapons pointed at you. My life is worth way more than a motorcycle or truck.

Also, driving newer GMC, Chevy, Ford, or Dodge trucks and large SUV's doesn't seem to make good sense. I think a dusty (but not muddy) and beat-up rig is the way to go if driving. However, I do agree that an SUV or truck is a step up on the risk ladder.
The Davis' were driving after dark in San Fernando and almost definitely the victims of truck thieves.

The other gentleman was a passenger in an suv that tried to run a road block. He was described as being a Canadian that had been living in Jamaica designing mountain bike paths. I don't mean to be unkind, but other than plentiful ganja I have trouble seeing the similarity between Jamaica and Mexico.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #5930
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I don't mean to be unkind, but other than plentiful ganja I have trouble seeing the similarity between Jamaica and Mexico.
Permit me to assist:

Miss Mexico 2011, Karin Ontiveros

Miss Jamaica 2011, Danielle Crosskill

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #5931
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Previous poster is right; however, I suspect most of the murders in either country are often drug related.
Like a lot of countries in Latin America, Mexico has a relatively weak Criminal Justice System. Because there is not much Official Justice, there is significantly more eye for eye tooth for tooth justice (violence and murder). For anyone who avoids the drug trade, drunken late night cantinas, decades-long small town family feuds, sleeping with married women or any combination of the above, the odds of being murdered are not that bad.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5932
Tlaloc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I've read that a significant number of homicides are committed by someone the victim knows, often a family member. Yet another reason not to stay home.
Tlaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5933
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In a nutshell, and this is my opinion, motorcycles win out over trucks and SUVs, especially in the state of Tamaulipas. Cartels and their facimiles have in the past targeted pickups and SUVs to incorporate into their activities. No way to be absolutely sure if the motive is robbery, vehicle theft, or both. There are various anecdotal stories on this topic. Here are two:

The tale of Sam and Nancy Davis. This missionary woman was shot when allegedly her husband tried to flee what appeared to be an attempted truck jacking south of Reynosa. Link.

The tale of Canadian mountain biker Ken Klowak. He was shot when his suburban didn't yield to pursuers near the town of Allende. Link.

Refusal to stop is a link in both these incidents.

Overall, statistically the risk may be low. But it appears to exist.

Arte has commented on the relative risk on this issue in the past. In fact, to this day, he drives, as I remember, a black SUV in and around Reynosa, with no ill effect.
Bob,
allowme to correct you
I replace the black one for a White one. Just came back from Zacatecas, the night got me at from Monterrey to Reynosa, no one payed atention to the suburban.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #5934
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Bob,
allowme to correct you
I replace the black one for a White one. Just came back from Zacatecas, the night got me at from Monterrey to Reynosa, no one payed atention to the suburban.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #5935
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
I've read that a significant number of homicides are committed by someone the victim knows, often a family member. Yet another reason to ride Mexico.
Fixt

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #5936
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Like I said before on here, a Lincoln Navigator loaded with people and Gucci luggage is a far greater target than a few day smelly ADV rider on a dirty bike.
Families travel every day on the roads in Tamaulipas and other states and go about their normal business.
The foreign plates are the first giveaway to an easy target, ditto for a driver with more on his or her mind than just the road. Why bother with some parts of Tamaulipas when there are other routes north and south?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #5937
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,586
Can one of you guys living in Mexico help a kid with his school project?

Link
Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #5938
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Permit me to assist:

Miss Mexico 2011, Karin Ontiveros

Miss Jamaica 2011, Danielle Crosskill

While you have a point, somehow I don't suspect that the young Canadian was shagging at quite that level ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #5939
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

This Just In

World's Most Dangerous Places

LINK
Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #5940
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
I guess they cropped out all the GS1200's from the pictures.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote