Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #5941
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
For those riders who blasted my opinion on Mexico, I would like for them to know I just returned from a Chile & Argentina ride and was not at the zoo. Where and what were you doing 2 weeks ago. Probably on this site and dreaming of an adventure, while I was out actually doing one.

And just so you know those countries are in South America and crime is not a factor. Mexico is another story. But you already know that.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #5942
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,473
Oooh! A e-penis contest!!! These are always so much fun! And solve so much. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #5943
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Well FotoTex the Is Mex Safe trolls are slow this morning, you have thrown a curve ball, heheh. I suspect the slow response is due to the team is furiously checking your background on ADV, the crime stats in the two countries you mentioned, and then they will discredit you somehow, call you a liar, demand some type of proof that you've ridden where you said you have, and in the end, if you meet all their requirements, you will still be labeled an anti-Mexico liar, a pussy and so on. And then of course after every time someone mentions Mex is dangerous, then the obligatory pics of half naked Mexican girls will be posted as a diversion. I wouldn't waste anymore of your time with this, it's useless.

I just watch this thread for the train wreck that it is, it doesn't serve as ADV info like the other threads on this site. Oh, and did you know that Mex is safer than Detroit?? Like m/c riders actually plan and do adventure rides to Detroit, hahaha!

Good Luck.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
For those riders who blasted my opinion on Mexico, I would like for them to know I just returned from a Chile & Argentina ride and was not at the zoo. Where and what were you doing 2 weeks ago. Probably on this site and dreaming of an adventure, while I was out actually doing one.

And just so you know those countries are in South America and crime is not a factor. Mexico is another story. But you already know that.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #5944
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Quote:

I did not see any posts "blasting" your opinion.

Two weeks ago I was in San Diego visiting my son and his family for Christmas. Spent a day in Tecate just to check out the border situatuion. Had a good time.

I'm sorry to hear you had such bad experiences in Mexico.

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #5945
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Oooh! A e-penis contest!!! These are always so much fun! And solve so much. ;)

Ya know, SOG, the harder you stretch it the skinnier it gets.

I'm still stuck on what riding Chile and Argentina have to do with riding Mexico.

Now where's that damn ruler?!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #5946
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Now where's that damn ruler?!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #5947
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:

No one even blasted your opinion. Guys like you come on this thread and blast Mexico about once a month or so. No one even pays attention anymore. We just keep riding in Mexico!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #5948
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
There are some neighborhoods on Chicago's West Side that would probably make the list. I won't get out of my car in broad daylight in those neighborhoods but I have never felt unsafe in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
World's Most Dangerous Places

LINK

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #5949
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

SchizzMan meets Sjoerd Bakker and his lovely sister, Aaltje, on their way to Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #5950
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Sjoerd Bakker @ Casa Tricepilot

After Sjoerd left Austin, he and his sister Aaltje stopped by here for the afternoon, and what a pleasure is was to meet these intrepid travelers. They're on their way to Mexico in Sjoerd's Ford Focus for six weeks of serendipitous travel. In other words, wherever their whims take them.

If there is a guru of Mexico travel, this is the man. I don't think there is anyone out there who has combed the country like he has. Both in a vehicle and on a motorcycle. The stories he told kept me raptured and I knew I was sitting with The Man. Funny, insightful, resourceful, and spirited.

The map below is just a section of a Mexico map that Sjoerd has highlited in green to represent roads that he has explored. The whole map of Mexico looks like this section! Hhe has been on nearly every byway and offway and everyway in between. And the cool thing is he has produced a Mexico Hotel Guidebook with almost every big and small town enroute represented, with commentary on hotels he has either stayed at or researched in person by walking in the door.

I was so impressed I bought 2 copies.

What a delightful afternoon with Aaltje and Sjoerd. This won't be the last time I seek him out and compare notes on Mexico.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #5951
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
After Sjoerd left Austin, he and his sister Aaltje stopped by here for the afternoon, and what a pleasure is was to meet these intrepid travelers. They're on their way to Mexico in Sjoerd's Ford Focus for six weeks of serendipitous travel. In other words, wherever their whims take them.

If there is a guru of Mexico travel, this is the man. I don't think there is anyone out there who has combed the country like he has. Both in a vehicle and on a motorcycle. The stories he told kept me raptured and I knew I was sitting with The Man. Funny, insightful, resourceful, and spirited.

The map below is just a section of a Mexico map that Sjoerd has highlited in green to represent roads that he has explored. The whole map of Mexico looks like this section! Hhe has been on nearly every byway and offway and everyway in between. And the cool thing is he has produced a Mexico Hotel Guidebook with almost every big and small town enroute represented, with commentary on hotels he has either stayed at or researched in person by walking in the door.

I was so impressed I bought 2 copies.

What a delightful afternoon with Aaltje and Sjoerd. This won't be the last time I seek him out and compare notes on Mexico.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #5952
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
SchizzMan meets Sjoerd Bakker and his lovely sister, Aaltje, on their way to Mexico.
I am going to do my best to resist asking which one is the sister. Let's just say that you left yourself wide open on this one ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #5953
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I am going to do my best to resist asking which one is the sister. Let's just say that you left yourself wide open on this one ;)
You're a bad person.

Very bad.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #5954
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

If you're fortunate enough to run into Sjoerd Bakker someday, ask him to tell you his tale of riding his '00 KLR home from southern Mexico with the bike stuck in 2nd gear
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #5955
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

When Sjoerd returns from this car trip to Mexico with Aaltje, he goes back to Ontario to take care of business and then returns through here in mid March on the KLR to visit another friend in Bandera (Texas Hill Country) on his way back to Mexico again.

I say we break out the KLRs and take him for a ride in the Texas Hill Country and then to a BBQ.

And bring your notepads and your maps.