Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #6286
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
We checked in at the Rockaway Bar for Mike, but a little late. Will try again tomorrow night at 5.

Saw several bunches of groups of GS and KLRs so far. McFoil at a PEMEX and other 3 pair along our direction of travel, going in the opposite direction.

At the end of this week we should be knocking on the door of Guatemala.
Happy hour at the Rockaway... I think that was the night Dianna and I went out to eat, and returned a bit later. Sorry we missed each other Bob. I passed a posse of 4 GS riders who were heading south on the cuota between Puebla and Oaxaca yesterday, and assumed it was you guys and you'd been delayed. Didn't bother to stop as I caught the mother of all cold/viruses in PE and decided to head home pronto, without infecting any intrepid travelers. If I'm taking a cuota, you know there's a good reason, as I almost never do dat. Back in SMA hacking my brains out as I type. Let me know if you guys come back through this way, and I'll shout the posse a round.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #6287
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Several turns were so rough I scraped both left and right pegs at the same time.
We rode down 175 and I kept thinking I had somehow got on to 131, as it sucked so bad. We rode back up 131, so I now know definitively what the differences are betwixt and between the two. There were stretches on 175 where it was OK, but mostly you could never lay it out the way you would like as the corners where the arroyos washed over the road, were almost guaranteed to be awful, and the rest of the road was just bad. Toward the bottom, I ended up pacing a guy on his little 250 and he set as good a pace as I was comfortable riding that road.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #6288
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
It ten of one and a dicena of the other .Both highways have their own character , both have a nice selection of curves and scenery and both rise from the warm coast through a n interesting succession of plant covers . The only solution is ,of course, ride both of them ... at a modest speed. If you find some reallly delectable curves that are clean turn around a few times to zip through them once you have scouted the hazards.
That's pretty much my take on them also having ridden both this past week. I would characterize 175 in its current state of repair, as a very twisty road, poorly maintained throughout, but particularly bad in the corners where the arroyos spill over the road surface. You can find yourself in first gear as often as not in those corners. The upshot is that the heads up riding continues unabated for almost the whole ride to the coast, (after you enter the montanas). There is one stretch in the middle, and the end where it improves a lot. I rode back 131 two days ago, and I would characterize it differently. Riding out of PE the road absolutely sucked for the first hour and a half at the rate I was comfortable riding it, (20-30 mph). This first stretch is often no different, and sometimes worsse than any dirt road I've ridden. It's largely bumpy pavement, (the kind that bounces your bike to the outside of the curves if you ride it very hard at all), punctuated by stretches of no pavement, or very little pavement. The stretches sans pavement seemed to be more than those with pavement, but it may just be my imagination. After leaving PE, and approaching the top of the first pass, the pavement improves dramatically. The rest of the ride seemed to be quite good to me, although I admit I had been predisposed after the first hour and a half of the ride, to think that a ride on corrugated washboard, sand, and marbles was a walk in the park.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #6289
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,518
I arrived back in Oaxaca after trying the 131 hwy from Puerto Escondido. Spectacular road and scenery. Plus, McFoil and crew have illegally parked on the front of the zocalo and the Policia Estatal is threatening to tow them. I asked the Policia to give them some time as I'm sure they wouldn't have left their bikes there for long. Looked for them for a bit but no idea where to look. Anyway, all is well is Oaxaca.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #6290
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Arrived in San Cristobal, will catch up later this evening after photos & eats
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #6291
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

For the second time, staying here
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6292
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Wow that Hotel looks great! Is it really $100.00 a night? I stayed at San Martin up the pedestrian mall for $15.00 with parking up the stairs in the lobby. Solo travel did not allow any higher class hotels.
Cal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6293
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Mike-

Maybe you want to put your VC/Puebla ride tips in another thread of their own. That way they don't get lost in our little asylum here. Maybe throw in a thread link here when updated or someone asks for more VC info.
I'll second that!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6294
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,079
Got so dangerous in Puerto Escondido that we had to leave this morning for San Cristobal de las Casas. Tomorrow Guatemala.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #6295
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Definitive answer

I didn't want to start a new thread. I've read a bunch of threads all stating different documents and fees necessary to cross the mexico border. I'm headed to baja in April. What all do I need. will be likely staying in the north but may dip into southern baja. The trip will be 7 days.
1. Vehicle import?
2.tourist card?
3. Original title of the bike?
4. Insurance ?
5. U.S. registration ?
6.passport
7. Anything missing ?

Thanks

jnorton1 screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 10:15 PM
jnorton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6296
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
My two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread. I've read a bunch of threads all stating different documents and fees necessary to cross the mexico border. I'm headed to baja in April. What all do I need. will be likely staying in the north but may dip into southern baja. The trip will be 7 days.
1. Vehicle import?
2.tourist card?
3. Original title of the bike?
4. Insurance ?
5. U.S. registration ?
6. Anything missing ?
Thanks
Just parked my bike in Cabo from coming down from the states. You DO NOT need a Vehicle Import for Baja. I actually didnt need any paperwork as they didnt look at anything my entire way thru Baja but all the other stuff is a good idea. I went with a notarized copy of my title b/c I hate having the og on me. I think you got it all and insurance is a must and tourist card at the border. Baja was great!!! Enjoy it!
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #6297
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Dinero

ATM card. A new law in Mexico aimed at reducing money laundering prohibits us from paying for hotels in US dollars. Have to pay with credit card or pesos. The peso exchange rate is better at ATM’s even with the fee charged. In 11/10 the official rate was 12 pesos to the dollar. Merchants would give you around 11 if you wanted to pay for goods with USD as would hotel front desks. Official money exchange windows paid about 11.2 pesos/dollar. We will have some fees at the border and I can’t remember if they will take USD.

This was last year. Is this still true boys and girls?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #6298
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Wow that Hotel looks great! Is it really $100.00 a night? I stayed at San Martin up the pedestrian mall for $15.00 with parking up the stairs in the lobby. Solo travel did not allow any higher class hotels.
Yes but I saved up for it by sleeping in Balloonman's hammock in Pto. Escondido
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #6299
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Go here for Mex requirements for vehicles:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/country/mexico/entry

If you want a PDF of a walk through step by step on how it is done, PM me.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #6300
StinkyBoy13
Stinky Pig

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I arrived back in Oaxaca after trying the 131 hwy from Puerto Escondido. Spectacular road and scenery. Plus, McFoil and crew have illegally parked on the front of the zocalo and the Policia Estatal is threatening to tow them. I asked the Policia to give them some time as I'm sure they wouldn't have left their bikes there for long. Looked for them for a bit but no idea where to look. Anyway, all is well is Oaxaca.
Thanks for fending off the Policia. We went into the market to find some bugs to eat. Si all is well in Oaxaca.....
StinkyBoy13 is offline   Reply With Quote