User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #6316
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Mexico to Belize border crossing

Today crossed fro Mexico at Subte . Lopez ( Chetumal) into Belize and found out this after I declared that I would restrict my travel to Belize and would be returning to Mexico at this same point within a week .

The tourist card had to be handed in and cancelled but the TVIP could be held onto without cancellation or any other paperwork. TVIP is valid for 6 months and is to be cancelled at the MEX- USA border when ending the Mexico trip .
This is the situation at THIS crossing 29 January 2012.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #6317
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Can't Seem to Get Out of Town

Spent the whole day trying to get out of Michigan. One dumb thing after another. Borrowed trailer with weird wiring, crummy tie downs, snow, then slush, then freezing mush. Then I couldn't remember where I had stashed the keys to the KLR. After my FOURTH return to the homestead, decided to spend the night and set sail Monday morning. I hope this is not an omen for what the next two months are going to be about.
Was hoping to meet Olegeezer in Prisidio on Tuesday afternoon, but it looks like it'll be Wednesday now.
Any recommendations for an economical casa de huespedes in Chihuahua?
JohnD
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #6318
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,006
Durango Guanajuato Routes

Hola Amigos,

Looks like this has become the default thread for routing info.
in Mexico.

Two up on a KTM 990 A Rolling out of Tucson Tuesday.

Navajoa, Mazatlan then the EDD to Durango.
In Durango Saturday or Sunday, for a few days.

I need some advice on an off the main road, route from Durango to Guanajuato.
We ride dirt and have a 600 k + fuel range.
Paved secondary roads with some graded dirt be fine.
Not camping so we need to have food and a bed nightly.

Using Bici Map Mexico GPS Atlas.

Twist It, Max
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #6319
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,469
Just made it to Queretaro after spending a great couple days in Veracruz. One of the most interesting and vibrant cities in Mexico IMO. MikeMike took good care of me, taking me on two awesome rides in the mountains and a walking and driving tour of the city. The place has a very distinctive feel and beautiful colonial architecture. The port is amazing; huge tankers and container ships loading and unloading as fast as they can get in. Thousands on the malecon and plaza.
The military has taken over policing the city and the locals are feeling more secure as a result.
My ride from Puerto Escondido to Oax., Oax. on hwy 131 was followed by one of the most enjoyable rides ever over the sierra on hwy 175 to Veracruz. After 20 years of riding down here, it just keeps getting better.

jimmex screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 08:43 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #6320
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 475
We left through Nogales last Sunday. Tonight we are in La Cruz, north of Mazatlan. We spent 3 nights in Kino Bay with friends, eating, drinking and watching beautiful sunsets. I actually was feeling a little nervous in Kino for the first couple of days, we didn't see any federales or their guns. The last day they were out and I felt better about being in Mexico again.
Then we went to El Fuerte and took the train to Creel and came back by train yesterday. Plus on the train, there are are military. That was fun but once is enough. We went to Batopilas 5 years ago and have now found out the road will be completely paved by next year. I'm glad we were able to ride the dirt once.
We haven't looked at a map tonight, so we don't know where tomorrow will land us.
I would put pictures up but all they only contain sunshine and blue skies, nothing like the snow we left in Colorado. Today, we had to switch from our heavier cold weather gear to our mesh. It is getting a little warmer.

Hopefully getting old is not an option but acting old is.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #6321
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post
Spent the whole day trying to get out of Michigan. One dumb thing after another. Borrowed trailer with weird wiring, crummy tie downs, snow, then slush, then freezing mush. Then I couldn't remember where I had stashed the keys to the KLR. After my FOURTH return to the homestead, decided to spend the night and set sail Monday morning. I hope this is not an omen for what the next two months are going to be about.
Was hoping to meet Olegeezer in Prisidio on Tuesday afternoon, but it looks like it'll be Wednesday now.
Any recommendations for an economical casa de huespedes in Chihuahua?
JohnD
Michigan doesn't want to release her grip on you!

Don't worry- you're just getting the garbage out of the way early. Mexico will be good to you.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #6322
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,191
Jimmex, glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the dinner, next time it's on me. Frank and Jorge had a great time and we all hope you can make it back down again soon. Good to hear you made it all the way to Queretaro, we had an interesting ride back, rain and that heavy fog all the way and about 3 degrees centigrade over the peak. You know you are having fun when your boots and gloves are still drying 15hrs later. Have a safe trip back home. I'll forward the pics.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #6323
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Hola Amigos,

Looks like this has become the default thread for routing info.
in Mexico.

Two up on a KTM 990 A Rolling out of Tucson Tuesday.

Navajoa, Mazatlan then the EDD to Durango.
In Durango Saturday or Sunday, for a few days.

Using Bici Map Mexico GPS Atlas.

Twist It, Max

The main road between Durango and Zacatecas is mostly flat and straight, but not too bad a ride. If you haven't been to Zacatecas, I highly recommend spending a night there. One of the most beautiful and clean cities in Mexico. Try the Hotel de la Reyna Soledad.

Just south/east of Zacatecas, exit the highway, I think around the town of Trancoso, and follow the road, (Rt. 45), toward Aguascalientes. Around the town of Ojocaliente, take rt. 144 south toward Villa Gonzalez Ortega/and points south.

Get onto rt. 51, (I think), toward San Felipe/dolores Hidalgo. When you're approaching Dolores just follow the signs to Guanajuato. The ride thus far is not that great, (flat/rolling hills which is pretty much the terrain between your start/destination), but it's scenic enough and you're not on a 4 lane, and don't have to go through any big towns. You don't have to go into Dolores Hidalgo unless you want to check out another colonial Mexican town that played a crucial role in the Mexican revolution. If you do stop by, check out the carnitas, gorditas, and burritos at Restaurante Vincentes, (there are 6 locations in town). If you make it to the main one, tell Vincinte, or Joel if he's your waiter, I sent you. Leaving Dolores Hidalgo, via this route will take you through the mountain town of Santa Rosa, and about 45 miles of fun sweepers, hairpin turns, and stunning scenery to Guanajuato. If you go into town, take care getting out, as the signs to Guanajuato can take you two different routes. They're both scenic and the other way has scenic sweeping turns, but not nearly so much fun or as scenic as the route through Santa Rosa. Edit: Stop for a refreshment in Santa Rosa at the Restaurante de las Sierras, The main one at the top of the climb up into town. Nice views and a local mescal you might enjoy. There's a dirt road between (just north of) San Felipe and Santa Rosa, but I don't think I could describe to you how to get on it, and if you took it you'd miss over half of those fun twisties between Dolores and Guanajuato.

miguelito screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 01:46 PM
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #6324
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
My ride from Puerto Escondido to Oax., Oax. on hwy 131 was followed by one of the most enjoyable rides ever over the sierra on hwy 175 to Veracruz. After 20 years of riding down here, it just keeps getting better.
That ride between Oaxaca and Tuxtepec is one of the best I've ridden in Mexico.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #6325
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Tikal to Palenque in a Day

Woke up at 3:30 by a knock on my door at the Jaguar Inn on the grounds of Tikal.....it was our guide.

At 4 am, walked into the empty park with flashlights and made our way to Temple IV in the dark.

We took our spots and let the day dawn, the temples surrounding coming out of the madrugada.....the morning mist breaking. Serenaded by a howler monkey.

Hiked to the main plaza, the Temple of the Jaguar and the Temple of the Masks. Excellent.

Packed up the GSs to say goodby to Guatemala, exited at El Cebo, the newish northwest corner of Guatemala, nearest to Palenque.

And here we are in Chiapas, rinising our thirst with some suds and getting ready to walk the grounds of Mexico´s version of Tikal again tomorrow....welcoming the morning mist once again.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #6326
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Hola Amigos,

Twist It, Max
Max, the road from DGO to ZAC is nice and scenic in terms of rolling agricultural hills and the famous red soil of Zacatecas, but there are some fun alternatives south of the highway from DGO to ZAC. These country roads should be on any map and you can bite off as much as you want to chew as far as getting south off the highway. The one I like is the route south from Durango to Mezquital then east from Mezquital to Suchil, Chalchihuites and Fresnillo. This route east of Mezquital is somewhat isolated but very scenic. In fact, the area east of Mezquital hosts one of only two populations of wild Mexican Grey Wolfs!

-There is a little hot spring resort in Mezquital but I am not positive if it is open in the winter? Could get chilly this time of year over 3000m depending on the whether.

-You can go by a small Mennonite colony located about 60 km west of Fresnillo (UTM 650563, 2570546).

-Fresnillo is the biggest silver mine in the world and you can see two big new white mine shafts that they are currently building. The mine tour in Fresnillo is worthwhile if you are into that kind of thing. You gotta try the birria (goat stew), it's a regional specialty.

I don't know of a good alternative route between ZAC and GTO, that area is kind of flat. That's not to say there aren't some nice country roads in that area, I just don't know any specific routes.

Feel free to give me a shout if you stop into DGO. I should be there this weekend.

Saludos

SR

SR screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 07:10 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #6327
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Today crossed fro Mexico at Subte . Lopez ( Chetumal) into Belize and found out this after I declared that I would restrict my travel to Belize and would be returning to Mexico at this same point within a week .

The tourist card had to be handed in and cancelled but the TVIP could be held onto without cancellation or any other paperwork. TVIP is valid for 6 months and is to be cancelled at the MEX- USA border when ending the Mexico trip .
This is the situation at THIS crossing 29 January 2012.

Is it correct that if you pay in US cash, US cash will be given back to you when you leave? But if you pay with a credit card, you receive a lesser amount when you leave?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #6328
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Early this morning photo (IPhone) of the Temple of the Jaguar, Tikal
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #6329
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Ooops, correction, that's the Temple of the Masks