Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #6346
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Taking the boat out on the lake shortly, then laming up to head to Veracruz, stopping at Salto Eyiplantla. Will stay at Hotel Emporio.

Meet at 7 at the hotel for a cerveza?

Heading for the highlands tomorrow early.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #6347
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Trice, I'll be working tonight at 7pm for sure. However, why not an early breakfast meet up at the Hotel tomorrow?
I will need to leave by 8:15am for work, but I usually get up at 5am and can meet you for breakfast at 7am or so if you like at the hotel.
What "highlands" are you aiming for? Naolinco via "Arte and Andres' Greenland" La Esperanza or Perote and the challenge of the summit ride?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #6348
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
However, why not an early breakfast meet up at the Hotel tomorrow?
I will need to leave by 8:15am for work, but I usually get up at 5am and can meet you for breakfast at 7am or so if you like at the hotel.
Hotel Emporio, 7 am
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #6349
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hecho Trice, nos vemos a las 7am en what I think is called the Condimento Restaurant. It'll be the only one open for breakfast unless one of the nearby Gran Cafe La Parroquia's is open at 7am, usually they open later.
A todos modos I'll be there manana at 7am looking for you. I am going to see if Frank can come along, he met Jimmex when we went for the ride last Sunday. Frank rides a GS1200 like you guys. See you for breakfast.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #6350
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Packed up the GSs to say goodby to Guatemala, exited at El Cebo, the newish northwest corner of Guatemala, nearest to Palenque.
Well, I'm looking forward to your report of this crossing!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #6351
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thumbs down no

answer to the original question... NO! If it was why would I want to go?

Love riding in Mexico!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #6352
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Is it correct that if you pay in US cash, US cash will be given back to you when you leave? But if you pay with a credit card, you receive a lesser amount when you leave?
When you pay in US cash for the security deposit they will pay back the value of the deposit in US cash ,exactly.
If you pay in credit card you must consider if the amount you paid is a TOTAL also including payment for the TVIP and tourist card PLUS your security deposit. Actual TVIP payment and Tourist Card Payments are non-refundable. In most cases this confusion is eliminated because they will make separate cc debits for each item , giving you individual receipts for each charge. Save all your cc receipts ,here at the border an d always.
The exact US dollar value of the security deposit will be returned to your credit card account when you cancel your TVIP and hand back the sticker and document. GET the receipts for the re- deposit...
Now remember that since these are cc transactions and the money is switched from US to Mex peso and then a number of days or weeks later they are converted back the other way there may be fluctuations in the exchange rate . these cannot be helped and are no fault of the Mexicans. You are not being ripped off. In fact as exchange rates go either way you may wind up getting back a few cents more than you paid.

As stated earlier if leaving the south Mexico border with the intent of returning to Mexico before the TVIP expires they now will permit you to retain the TVIP during your CA visit. You need to cancel it only when you leave Mexico for the USA for the final time. This means that your sercurity deposit remains in effect also and you are spared the trouble of cancellation and refunds and then having to get that stuff all over again for the return leg .
And remember YOU are responsible to see that it does get cancelled. Nobody at the Mex USA border is going to come running out at any office to ask you to hand in the paperwork

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 06:01 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #6353
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,875
TVIP refund

4 years ago a bunch of us went to Copper Canyon. I can't remember if I got my deposit back or not. i.e. I can't remember(old age) if I cancelled my TVIP and handed back the sticker and document. Will this be a problem if I try to go into Mexico again this spring??? Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
When you pay in US cash for the security deposit they will pay back the value of the deposit in US cash ,exactly.
If you pay in credit card you must consider if the amount you paid is a TOTAL also including payment for the TVIP and tourist card PLUS your security deposit. Actual TVIP payment and Tourist Card Payments are non-refundable. In most cases this confusion is eliminated because they will make separate cc debits for each item , giving you individual receipts for each charge. Save all your cc receipts ,here at the border an d always.
The US dollar value of the security deposit will be returned to your credit card account when you cancel your TVIP and hand back the sticker and document. GET the receipts for the re- deposit..

As stated earlier if leaving the south Mexico border with the intent of returning to Mexico before the TVIP expires they now will permit you to retain the TVIP during your CA visit. You need to cancel it only when you leave Mexico for the USA for the final time. This means that your sercurity deposit remains in effect also and you are spared the trouble of cancellation and refunds and then having to get that stuff all over again for the return leg .
And remember YOU are responsible to see that it does get cancelled. Nobody at the Mex USA border is going to come running out at any office to ask you to hand in the paperwork
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6354
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Leaving Mexico kept the TVIP but had to surrender the tourist card to get the exit stamp the Guatemalan side wanted to see.

Coming back at El Ceibo (on a Monday!) simply cancelled the Guatemala bike permit and got a new Mexico tourist card ****BUT***** no corresponding Banjercito receipt. Banjercito at El Ceibo is closed on Mondays.

I will expand upon the ramifications of this in my RR.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6355
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
got a new Mexico tourist card ****BUT***** no corresponding Banjercito receipt.
This has happened to me and I just stopped at a Bank a couple of days later and paid for it. Not sure what bank it was but it did take 2 banks before they would take the payment. Got a reciept and all was well, at least I think all was well!!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #6356
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

I had a hot dog for dinner last night y uno cerveza

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #6357
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Judging by the photo it looks like you've got a bad case of rusty nuts, too.
There is an old traditional cure for that in Mexico.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #6358
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Langosta the size of hogie buns at La Mera Madre, on the malecón, Veracruz.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #6359
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Next to the harbor at the Hotel Emporio
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #6360
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Next to the harbor at the Hotel Emporio

Looks like a great trip... wish I coulda went....

Make sure you do a ride report!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote