ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #6361
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post


Next to the harbor at the Hotel Emporio

Looks like a great trip... wish I coulda went....

Make sure you do a ride report!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #6362
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Looks like a great trip... wish I coulda went....

Make sure you do a ride report!
I'll do a RR, because I have to document the sublime beauty of the stunning Esther of Palenque
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #6363
BMW Kurt
Player of the Blues
 
BMW Kurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Have guitar, will travel
Oddometer: 9,273
Well, reading these ride reports has made me rethink my trip. I am now considering just doing Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. The thing is I have about six weeks to ride in Latin America. At first I thought I would blast through to Yaviza and that way I could ride all the countries but I'm beginning to think I would not see much more than the Pan Am in Central America. That's a lot of border crossings just for bragging rights. I don't think I can really get to know a country by just spending one or two nights in it and just riding the roads. I am thinking that I could take two weeks going down Mexico to Belize, spend a week in Belize, another week in Guatemala and then take two more weeks going up Mexico over to Baja. That would be a lot more relaxing and I would spend a lot more time getting to know places. I will be entering Mexico around April 1 (after visiting my Dad in Longview and a cross state ride to Big Bend) and have six weeks from that time to either meet my wife in San Diego OR attend the Overland Expo in AZ.

You guys are MUCH more familiar with the size and scale of these countries than I am. Thoughts?
__________________
"We blew it." -- Wyatt in Easy Rider
Kurt Nugent Photography
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #6364
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: On the coast
Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post


Next to the harbor at the Hotel Emporio
Where is the Hotel Emporio in relation to the Holiday Inn and the Zocalo ?
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #6365
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Where is the Hotel Emporio in relation to the Holiday Inn and the Zocalo ?
Just a few blocks away, but the Emporio is on the malecón
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #6366
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,789


Our man on the scene in Veracruz, MikeMike
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #6367
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: On the coast
Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just a few blocks away, but the Emporio is on the malecón

Thanks Trice,
I figured it out shortly after I posted. Great location !
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #6368
AK Smitty
AK Smitty
 
AK Smitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Oddometer: 300
Kurt

My thoughts exactly! I have a total of 6 weeks for my ride and was dead set on getting to Panama! I haven't made my final decision yet but probably gonna ride Mex and maybe Belize and Guatamala. My bike is in Cabo now and I return to it in 6 days for a month. I am going to head south and see where I am at a week into my ride. I am learning there is so much to see in Mex!! I am done riding March 5 and will let you know how I feel about my choice then!! Looking at taking two months to do CA in the fall and then I wont feel guilty about blowing through Mex.

The difficult decisions that we have to make!! haha I am sure we both have great rides no matter what the choice



Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Well, reading these ride reports has made me rethink my trip. I am now considering just doing Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. The thing is I have about six weeks to ride in Latin America. At first I thought I would blast through to Yaviza and that way I could ride all the countries but I'm beginning to think I would not see much more than the Pan Am in Central America. That's a lot of border crossings just for bragging rights. I don't think I can really get to know a country by just spending one or two nights in it and just riding the roads. I am thinking that I could take two weeks going down Mexico to Belize, spend a week in Belize, another week in Guatemala and then take two more weeks going up Mexico over to Baja. That would be a lot more relaxing and I would spend a lot more time getting to know places. I will be entering Mexico around April 1 (after visiting my Dad in Longview and a cross state ride to Big Bend) and have six weeks from that time to either meet my wife in San Diego OR attend the Overland Expo in AZ.

You guys are MUCH more familiar with the size and scale of these countries than I am. Thoughts?
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #6369
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post


Langosta the size of hogie buns at La Mera Madre, on the malecón, Veracruz.
The ones from the Pacific taste better
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #6370
jimmex
Wanderer
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post


Our man on the scene in Veracruz, MikeMike
Muy amable!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #6371
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,786
LOL! You guys are too kind. You got my "bad" side in the photo LOL!
Wish I had more time to spend with you, you guys have a good day for riding up the coast and then inland on the twisty route to Teziutlan, Puebla, some nasty weather moving in this weekend, but you'll be well ahead of it.
Have a safe trip back.
You didn't tell me you were dining at the Mera Madre last night, it's about 3 blocks from my house! You went to the one on what we call "the new" boulevard and the restaurant has a design like the front of a ship, right? Jimmex had asked about seafood but I think I was guilty of convincing him to have a steak...my bad...but the steak was good (Thanks Jim!), you guys are going to like it next time through.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #6372
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

I had a hot dog for dinner last night y uno cerveza



What's under that skirt? Pic of the entire bike please. Looks interesting.
__________________
08 GS02 KLR 12 WR250R04 KDX20000 VFR
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #6373
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
4 years ago a bunch of us went to Copper Canyon. I can't remember if I got my deposit back or not. i.e. I can't remember(old age) if I cancelled my TVIP and handed back the sticker and document. Will this be a problem if I try to go into Mexico again this spring??? Thanks in advance
Call the nearest Mexican consulate, and explain the situation to them. A friend of mine did that a few years back and he was subsequently turned away at the border when he tried to re-enter Mexico. He had to show documentation that he had not sold the vehicle in Mexico before they'd let him drive a vehicle into the country, which translated to showing a bill of sale/title transfer within the US or showing that you still own the vehicle. My buddy got his situation resolved, but it ruined the trip he had planned after he reached the border, and was turned back.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #6374
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
What's under that skirt? Pic of the entire bike please. Looks interesting.

This only has something to do with skirts....

Every now and then, you see something from Mexico, that as a gringo, makes you say "Whhhaaaaaaaaaa?" And, it makes you appreciate the beauty of the way Mexicans look at the situation.

Check this out:

protest walk.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #6375
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You didn't tell me you were dining at the Mera Madre last night, it's about 3 blocks from my house! You went to the one on what we call "the new" boulevard and the restaurant has a design like the front of a ship, right?
La Mera Madre: Best place in Veracruz for lobster the size of a football
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014