User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #6406
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Mi prima's inner courtyard.

The Pena through the leaves of her pimiento tree.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #6407
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,713
Never been to Mexico and I am trying to avoid letting rumor and news flashes influence my opinion. My wife and I are considering spending a couple of months there next winter. Option one is to enter through AZ and head towards the Baja; option 2 is to enter thru the Big Bend region of TX. We know very little about the country and speak no Spanish. We are retirees and are looking for a relatively inexpensive trip. I'll probably wade through the 6000+ posts here at some point but I'd appreciate some recommendations and pointers from the experienced Mexico riders. Where to go, what to see, how to find good accommodations in non-touristy locals, things and places to avoid.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #6408
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370

We're staying with Schizzman's prima for a couple of days in Bernal.

This is her kitchen

I drool over Mexican style tiles and colors!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6409
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
Never been to Mexico and I am trying to avoid letting rumor and news flashes influence my opinion. My wife and I are considering spending a couple of months there next winter. Option one is to enter through AZ and head towards the Baja; option 2 is to enter thru the Big Bend region of TX. We know very little about the country and speak no Spanish. We are retirees and are looking for a relatively inexpensive trip. I'll probably wade through the 6000+ posts here at some point but I'd appreciate some recommendations and pointers from the experienced Mexico riders. Where to go, what to see, how to find good accommodations in non-touristy locals, things and places to avoid.
Do it as soon as you can.
Enter from the West or the East, but enter with both feet, don't do anything half way.
Avoid other gringos unless they are traveling on motorcycles or riding with you.
Stay off the cuotas if it is your first time in Mexico and just drink deep from what it has to offer for foods, people, cultures, events, etc...
Get to know as many Mexican people as you can.
Let as many Mexican people as you can, get to know you.

The single most important thing to remember is actually so beautifully simple yet so incredibly complex for most people to fully grasp...Don't ever "plan" Mexico, let it "plan" you. Once you start to do this and begin to live by this, you will experience the full beauty of a country and a people that actually want you to come and visit them. If more news media types understood this concept, this thread would never have started. Mexico is everything you could ever want it to be, and it can be a few things you could never have imagined. Don't try to see it all, just come back often.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #6410
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Have not had the chance to catch up with this thread for the last couple of dozen pages but did want to report that Mexico continues to be dangerous. I have been forced to eat unusal foods, drink large quantities of beer and been smothered with kindness. Biggest problem so far is being attacked by dozens of drug riddled no-seeums one afternoon.

I did leave a note on this thread a while back that I was heading this way and if I got a Ride Report under way, I'd post a link here. This is a first for me so, here ya go Mexico by Geezer
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #6411
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Have not had the chance to catch up with this thread for the last couple of dozen pages but did want to report that Mexico continues to be dangerous. I have been forced to eat unusal foods, drink large quantities of beer and been smothered with kindness. Biggest problem so far is being attacked by dozens of drug riddled no-seeums one afternoon.

I did leave a note on this thread a while back that I was heading this way and if I got a Ride Report under way, I'd post a link here. This is a first for me so, here ya go Mexico by Geezer
Unsafe is right! Saw this on the way to a friend's house today. Yikes!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #6412
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Taken from the perspective of today's lunch spot
Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #6413
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The single most important thing to remember is actually so beautifully simple yet so incredibly complex for most people to fully grasp...Don't ever "plan" Mexico, let it "plan" you. Once you start to do this and begin to live by this, you will experience the full beauty of a country and a people that actually want you to come and visit them. If more news media types understood this concept, this thread would never have started. Mexico is everything you could ever want it to be, and it can be a few things you could never have imagined. Don't try to see it all, just come back often.
Gracias! Es verdad. (Thank you, it's true)
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #6414
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Part of our restaurant roof bending under the pounding of a vicious storm over Bernal
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #6415
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
Two old guys ride the CU Canyon

Looks like John and Joe are back on track to Creel after some sightseeing (or running from bandits)

I hope John got his carb issue sorted.

Here is Joe's spot addy...interesting: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...N2OHJL9WCQEEIr
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6416
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Schizzman and I arrived Saltillo from Bernal, now awaiting the Super Bowl at the Camino Real
Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #6417
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Not to mention the temp dropped from 63 to 40 F in 2 miles coming down the hill into Saltillo. 3rd gear fog and bitter cold. Good to have a beer in my hand and a flat screen in front of me.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #6418
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Part of our restaurant roof bending under the pounding of a vicious storm over Bernal
Heavy hail with the rain. A remnant remained on my bike cover the next morning.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #6419
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Durango Beers

We Just rolled into Durango from Mazatlan.

Nice twisties with some good combat semi passing.

Any thoughts on where to quench our thirst ?

Staying at the Posada San Augustin.

Twist it, Max
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #6420
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Not to mention the temp dropped from 63 to 40 F in 2 miles coming down the hill into Saltillo. 3rd gear fog and bitter cold. Good to have a beer in my hand and a flat screen in front of me.
Good to hear you guys are safely in for the evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Wow, that spot tracking service is very nice! I just showed it to my wife and she told me to get one! I'm on it!
SR we must test the SPOT this spring, extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Schizzman and I arrived Saltillo from Bernal, now awaiting the Super Bowl at the Camino Real
Enjoy the game; should be a good one.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote