Bob C. just pulled into Casa Tricepilot from his detour to the Yucatán
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #6452
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Dang, I guess I missed you guys completely. Life sometimes throws us curveballs though. After all the delays and surprises, I am finally leaving NC in the morning. It's all good though as I have still have 3 plus weeks to spend in Mexico.
Will you be passing through the Austin or San Antonio area on your way down?

If so let's try to meet over some beers and BBQ.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #6453
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

And for those on bikes who rationalize that a bike can't do much damage, consider being taken into custody after a vehicle swerves to miss you and ends up rolling in a ditch. Or worse.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #6454
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Or.. like one of our fellow inmates, you get into a wreck, and your insurance gets you back home to the US, and deals with the complexities of a wrecked bike in Mexico, and the TVIP paperwork.

That's certainly worth something- especially the dealing with the Mexican bureaucracy part.

Hope everything's OK, SR.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #6455
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Bob C. babee!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #6456
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #6457
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I was my fault and I would very likely be in jail right now if I didn't have insurance.
And your cell mate would be Vato "tres dedos" Ximenez, an unemployed transvestite from Morelia.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #6458
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Bob C's GPS sent him on a far-flung detour through no man's land as he was coming back from the Yucatán, a road so rough, he promptly experienced his rear GS fender break and and then disappear off the back of the bike
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #6459
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Will you be passing through the Austin or San Antonio area on your way down?

If so let's try to meet over some beers and BBQ.
I am in Monroe, LA tonight and I will be in Belton tomorrow afternoon. Gonna leave my truck with some friends and head for the border on Thursday morning. Most likely be passing back thru sometime around the end of the month. Maybe we can get together then?? Most likely be back thru SA on the 28th or so as I need to be back in NC by 3/2.

You buy the BBQ and I'll buy the beer......no, hey, wait a minute, do you guys even drink beer??? Have to make sure to hang onto some Pesos.....
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #6460
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
he promptly experienced his rear GS fender break and and then disappear off the back of the bike
Someone could start a collection down here with those GS rear fender breaks. LOL!
I keep thinking I am going to come across those in the local tianguis/flea market.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #6461
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Someone could start a collection down here with those GS rear fender breaks. LOL!
I keep thinking I am going to come across those in the local tianguis/flea market.
Bob C. is a hoot. I would ride anywhere anytime again and again with a guy like him. He puts the GSA through its paces, that's for sure.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #6462
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,192
Trice, if he is coming down here, please forward him my details. He might like those roads that Jim was on, I could point him in the right direction and then catch up with him a half hour later. LOL!
Good to hear you made it home safe, I think you have really sold some people on Bernal. Your enthusiasm for Mexico, along with that of Jim and Schizz, makes this thread a good one. But enough of that applause, when are you guys coming back?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #6463
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I think you have really sold some people on Bernal.
The magic of Bernal is Bernal, as well as where it is located. Just a stone's throw from what I've been calling The Grand Funk Railroad (Mx 57) as well as a short link to what I consider one of, if not the, best road in the Sierra Gorda, Mx 120.

Really, if you enter/exit Mexico via the Reynosa area and ride the Huasteca, or through Piedras Negras or Nuevo Laredo farther to the west, Bernal is easily accesable and is an excellent stop. Bonus: just below as you can see on the map is DF and Arco Norte. San Miguel de Allende is just 1.5 hours or less away.

Anyone stopping in Bernal should find the road to the other side of the monolith - the Peña as it's called - to get a 360 perspective.

Like the hikable volcanos in Guatemala, one can climb a good way up the Peña unassisted or hire a guide for technical climbing to the top.

Quote:

When are you guys coming back?
Well, why don't we just return to La Mera Madre and discuss this in person?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #6464
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Trice, if he is coming down here, please forward him my details. He might like those roads that Jim was on, I could point him in the right direction and then catch up with him a half hour later. LOL!
Good to hear you made it home safe, I think you have really sold some people on Bernal. Your enthusiasm for Mexico, along with that of Jim and Schizz, makes this thread a good one. But enough of that applause, when are you guys coming back?
Thanks Mike.

Just want to recommend Hotel Arantxa on Ezequiel Montes street in Villa Bernal. Areceli runs a nice affordable place with gated courtyard parking and is m/c friendly. Great views of the Peña as well.

There's a Catholic festival every spring that goes on for a week and offers a great taste of the Old Mexico we know and love. Fireworks tower, indigenous dancers, municipal band - the works.

EDIT:
Since you're just 2 days ride from here we should be able to get down for a week of riding later in the year. I'm really wanting to cover all your favorite roads.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 09:06 AM
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #6465
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Thanks Mike.

Just want to recommend Hotel Arantxa on Ezequiel Montes street in Villa Bernal. Areceli runs a nice affordable place with gated courtyard parking and is m/c friendly. Great views of the Peña as well.

There's a Catholic festival every spring that goes on for a week and offers a great taste of the Old Mexico we know and love. Fireworks tower, indigenous dancers, municipal band - the works.
When might this festival be this year ?