User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #6496
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Lost in The Copper Canyon

Just a quick update...Joe (Olegeezer) and I made a try for the back way to Batopillas fro Urique. The river crossing was a not that big a deal, but the "road" on the other side wore us out. Despite 5 out of 6 locals agreeing "anybody" could get o Batopillas in 3 hours, by mid-afternoon, we were only about 3 miles past the river ford. We turned back and spend a couple of enjoyable days resting at Keith's and eating from his luscious organic garden. Both my KLR and Joe's once-pristine Versys show the battle scars. Joe will tell you, NEVER try to ride the Copper Canyon with a set of Tourances for tires.

Tonight, freezing our asses off in Creel. I will be trying for Batopillas again tomorrow. Joe wants to do laundry. Hope to be in Durango in a couple of days and then head toward the Pacific.

Adios!

JohnD
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #6497
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Thank you

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #6498
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
There will be a half worn Mefo Explorer (130/70-17) in Oaxaca on Sunday evening if you are interested. According to the owner of said tire, there is most likely 2000-3000 miles remaining.

Hell, if you want another one of those, I have one sitting in my garage. The two of them will likely get you to Panama.
If you are not picky about who mounts them, you can use up one, throw a few pesos at the low man on the totem pole at the friendly neighborhood vulcanizadora and your tire woes are solved.

Haven't heard from Tengai, must be having fun on the road to Teziutlan.
The Cofre de Perote is closed for summit attempts as snow is expected and they don't want to have to drag anyone's sorry butt down off the mountain if they get in a jam. It'll be open again likely next week. Yes, you can get around the closure, but nobody is going to know you are up there.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #6499
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hell, if you want another one of those, I have one sitting in my garage. The two of them will likely get you to Panama.
If you are not picky about who mounts them, you can use up one, throw a few pesos at the low man on the totem pole at the friendly neighborhood vulcanizadora and your tire woes are solved.
Along these lines, I was trying to decide where to have new tires mounted on my new VSTROM, either in Colorado where it currently is, or wait until I get to Durango to have it done, so I got some prices. $120 USD to get two tires mounted and balanced at Colorado Motorsports, or 100 pesos to get two tires mounted and balanced at the Honda Dealership in Durango, Mexico? Let me think about that for a while? Okay decision made!

SR screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 05:11 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #6500
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
$120 US !!!!
Who is mounting who? LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #6501
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
$120 US !!!!
Who is mounting who? LOL!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #6502
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
^
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6503
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Muy Feliz

NEW YORK, Feb 10 (Reuters) - Despite economic woes, wars, conflicts and natural disasters the world is a happier place today than it was four years ago and Indonesians, Indians and Mexicans seem to be the most contented people on the planet.

More than three-quarters of people around the globe who were questioned in an international poll said they were happy with their lives and nearly a quarter described themselves as very happy.

"The world is a happier place today and we can actually measure it because we have been tracking it," said John Wright, senior vice president of Ipsos Global, which has surveyed the happiness of more than 18,000 people in 24 countries since 2007.

But he added that expectations of why people are happy should be carefully weighed.

"It is not just about the economy and their well being. It is about a whole series of other factors that make them who they are today."

Brazil and Turkey rounded out the top five happiest nations, while Hungary, South Korea, Russia, Spain and Italy had the fewest number of happy people.

Perhaps proving that money can't buy happiness, residents of some of the world biggest economic powers, including the United States, Canada and Britain, fell in the middle of the happiness scale.

"There is a pattern that suggests that there are many other factors beyond the economy that make people happy, so it does provide one element but it is not the whole story," said Wright.

"Sometimes the greatest happiness is a cooked meal or a roof over your head," he explained. "Relationships remain the No. 1 reason around the world where people say they have invested happiness and maybe in those cultures family has a much greater degree of impact."

Regionally Latin America had the highest number of happy people, followed by North America, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East and Africa. Only 15 percent of Europeans said they were very happy.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #6504
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Freezing in Creel

Joe did laundry. I rode to the hot springs and explored many miles of 2-track up on the mesa above Creel.
Leaving for Batopilas in the morning at hora latina. Hope to catch up with SR in Durango.

Happiness scale? I felt noticeably more happy after crossing into Latin America. At first I thought it was just the joy of escaping Prisidio, TX, but now that Trice has provided the research, I know the real reason.

Con mucho gusto!

JohnD
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #6505
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Yeay really, do you at least get a kiss when they're done?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #6506
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
There will be a half worn Mefo Explorer (130/70-17) in Oaxaca on Sunday evening if you are interested. According to the owner of said tire, there is most likely 2000-3000 miles remaining.

Where are you now? I am in McAllen, crossing in the morning and headed for Xilitla if I make it that far. Depends on how much 'splorin I do and how many tocos I stop for... I will be in Oaxaca by Sunday evening as well. Maybe we can hook up somewhere for a beer.

Kenny
If I can't find one tomorrow then that might be extremely useful! This tire will get me to Oaxaca. Does it have to be on sunday night? or can I come through there and grab it on monday?

I'm keepin it real (half passed out with sore butt cheeks) in Xalapa after 8 full days of riding, no breaks. I should be in Oaxaca by Monday, if you want to meet up then, or somewhere else along the way that would be cool.

I'm riding sunday with mikemike. Apparently we're doing Xalapa-Coatepec-Xico-Teocelo. Apparently that's a good thing.

And mike, I didn't mention it in my email to you, but if I don't have any luck tomorrow and if kenny's tire deal falls through, I'll definitely want that tire that's in your garage! Is it also a mefo? I'd prefer his only because I won't have to lug it around as it's already in Oaxaca, which would be perfect timing for a tire change.
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #6507
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
If I can't find one tomorrow then that might be extremely useful! This tire will get me to Oaxaca. Does it have to be on sunday night? or can I come through there and grab it on monday?
Monday should be fine. As it stands right now, I will be staying at the Hotel Paris 6 blocks straight west from the Zocalo at 521 Trujano. I think my phone will work in Oaxaca. 828-273-9081.

I am in Xilitla tonight and heading further south tomorrow. Not sure where I will end up. I am heading in the general direction of Oaxaca but will most likely just ride until around 4pm and find a hotel. I had considered heading to Coatepec and may still go that way. Where you gonna be tomorrow night?
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #6508
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

hey Kenny, I'll still be in Xalapa tomorrow night. Heading south toward tehuacan or oaxaca sunday after the morning ride with mikemike.

As for monday, that's perfect, unless you think we'll cross paths sooner than that. I'll toss you some pesos for the tire too.

Adrian
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #6509
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, kenny, im 416-797-2671 call or text if anything comes up.

Nobody on here better call me to try to sell me a long distance plan
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #6510
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
I'm riding sunday with mikemike. Apparently we're doing Xalapa-Coatepec-Xico-Teocelo. Apparently that's a good thing.
Jimmy did that with him, but they didn't stop at the falls.

Be sure to see the falls.