Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #6526
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Raul "Bato" expresses to all his friends on this thread and elsewhere on ADV and twtex.com his appreciation for the expression of love and support during this time of the loss of his wife Bernadette.

The memorial service this morning at 10 am at St. Luke's Parish in San Antonio was moving and heartfelt. Many friends of the family shared a time of remembrance afterward at a reception.
Ouch!

Met both Bato and Bernadette 2X. Great people. Heart felt condolances, sir!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #6527
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I hold my FMM and TVIP the full 180 days.
Tourist Card - Yes
TVIP - No

I used one TVIP for both the October Durango trip and last weeks Guatemala trip, but I don't brush up against 180 days.

I try to calculate it so I'm not anywhere near faulting and having to give up the deposit ($400) on the bike.

It is virtually impossible to hold a TVIP for the full 180 days unless one is ready and willing to be at the aduana on that last day to cancel.

And somebody I know has recently had to give up his $400 bucks due to work circumstances beyond his control, even though he fully intended to ride back to the border to hand back his TVIP just prior to its expiration at 180 days.

Wonder who that was .........
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #6528
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Yeah I heard 131 is a blast. Can't wait. Also, does anyone know of a highway 152 near xilitla? I think that's what I took but now I can't find it on any maps.

Went tire shopping today. In all of Xalapa there isn't a single 17 inch dual purpose tire (that isn't already mounted to a bike).
I went to the honda dealer, suzuki dealer, and 4 other moto places. Everyone was super helpful but nobody had anything my size. Actually, the suzuki guy said he could get me a pirelli.......but for 2500 pesos! No gracias.

Looks like either Kenny or Mike will have to hook it up!
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #6529
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
Does anyone know of a highway 152 near xilitla?
The Glory Road (Mx 120) meets Mx 85 (Camino of the Huasteca) near Xilitla
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #6530
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I'm starting to get the sense that you guys really wick it up.
And there is video to prove it.

Of the 4 of us that were on 175, I have the least interest in max performing my own (limited) capabilities, but somehow, as the camera-equipped bike, I was able to stay in the groove and capture some jaw dropping footage of GS Adventures and their riders putting the pedal to the metal.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #6531
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I'm starting to get the sense that you guys really wick it up.

It'll be a long wait at the turnoff if I ever ride with you and you guys decide to wait for me.

On a more serious note, does anybody keep their permit for the full 180 days before returning it for another?
I have done that before, about 2 years ago IIRC. In fact I was a couple days late. I turned it in 2 days late, and slipped the guy $10 so he could roll back the date on the stamp so it was returned on time. Since technically it was issued on time, I was able to get my new one that same day for an upcoming trip. Not sure if it is still the same way, but you used to have to wait a day to get a new one.

pilot815 screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 11:28 AM
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #6532
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I have done that before, about 2 years ago IIRC. In fact I was a couple days late. I turned it in 2 days late, and slipped the guy $10 so he could roll back the date on the stamp so it was returned on time. Since technically it was issued on time, I was able to get my new one that same day for an upcoming trip. Not sure if it is still the same way, but you used to have to wait a day to get a new one.
I cleared my expired TVIP and got back in line in Allende and got the new one. I will continue to hold TVIPs the full 180 days, or close to it, according to my travel plans at the time. Circumstances interfering with beating the expiration date are as rare as they are unpredictable. I think that's what Juan was asking.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #6533
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

To me, not worth losing that $400 for clearing an expired TVIP or (again, to me) the false value (my words) of getting the max time out of a still valid TVIP, or is it worth having to ride back to the border, even from San Antonio, to clear a soon-to-be-expired TVIP.

The last week I "cleared" my still valid TVIP, received my $400 deposit back on my credit card, and yes, still had until April on the window. To me, not worth keeping the TVIP until April (unless I had a third trip to use with it, which I don't), and I'd rather clear a TVIP on exit if I have any doubt, than to have to face taking a full day to ride to the nearest border and back. What a pain.

I used to clear TVIPs after one trip all the time. Two trips on one TVIP is an exception for me. Just not worth the hassle if plans are cancelled, or something comes up. The fee for the TVIP is low and the process is simple. One less thing to worry about.

And I've never forfeited my deposit.

Tourist cards are a much easier animal to manage.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #6534
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Good Evening...

from the beach of Sayulita!!! Cold beer in hand!!!

Heading south then east toward San Sebastian de Oeste and onto Tapalpa if i have enough daylight.

Open to route suggestions.
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6535
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #6536
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

I plan to return in April. So I kept mine. Otherwise I would have turned it in. For Juan, or anyone else living along the border, it makes sense to hold a valid permit since it can be closed quite easily. Just gotta watch that date.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #6537
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Got the word at 5PM that I am wanted back in the oil patch, so I am packed and planing to fire up the Wanderlodge at sunup. Just in case I am incommunicado for awhile that probably means that I am in an area without cell phone and/or Internet access.

Just FYI guys. And I am taking the silver GS with me, so if and when I get a break I plan to do some riding. This assignment is taking me back to roughly 10 miles from the border between el Indio and Laredo.

Oh, and you guys in Austin and nearby be scared. There is a band called the Red Elvises that I have wanted to see for years. Just saw on their schedule that they play Terlingua, Alpine, Austin, and San Antonio is early April. So if the opportunity presents be scared. Very scared.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #6538
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Got the word at 5PM that I am wanted back in the oil patch, so I am packed and planing to fire up the Wanderlodge at sunup. Just in case I am incommunicado for awhile that probably means that I am in an area without cell phone and/or Internet access.

Just FYI guys. And I am taking the silver GS with me, so if and when I get a break I plan to do some riding. This assignment is taking me back to roughly 10 miles from the border between el Indio and Laredo.

Oh, and you guys in Austin and nearby be scared. There is a band called the Red Elvises that I have wanted to see for years. Just saw on their schedule that they play Terlingua, Alpine, Austin, and San Antonio is early April. So if the opportunity presents be scared. Very scared.
You still got my cell, right. Gotta take you to Babalus for a cigar.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #6539
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
from the beach of Sayulita!!! Cold beer in hand!!!

Heading south then east toward San Sebastian de Oeste and onto Tapalpa if i have enough daylight.

Open to route suggestions.
We must have been looking at the same arco iris.
Spending four days with some friends in Ayala just up the cost.
Ayala for those of you who don't know is a small beach town,
with few gringos and friendly locals.

Leaving Tuesday for Comala to check out some local crafts and a hike on the volcano, then to the Monarch's and working East
to do some of mikemike's rides.

Twist it, Max
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #6540
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
I believe Arte needs to file a intellectual property theft lawsuit against the BMWMOA.

I got their magazine this month, and they had an article entitled "Is Mexico Safe?"

They also have an article on some of the intrepid folks that made the trip to the Mexican Rally this year.

You don't even need to borrow / steal / buy the magazine:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/files/news/fil...port_02-12.pdf
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote