Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #6601
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Forfeited our Mexico visas but held our TVIPs when entering Guat. Got new FMM's re-entering Mexico at La Ceiba.
El Ceibo a.k.a. Puerto Fronterizo El Ceibo

Beware this crossing on Mondays. Banjercito is closed on Mondays here. Sjoerd has posted on this also, as have others.

Schizz, Bob C., and I got our tourist cards reestablished at El Ceibo, but could not pay for them since the bank was closed. We rode all the way back through Mexico with stamped-but-not-paid-for tourist cards. Schizz and I simply solved this by paying for them at exit at the Colombia Bridge, thus establishing them with fresh 180 validity periods each. Bob C. exited separately so I don 't know what he did with his.

The potential Catch-22 here is what was expected of us heading south at La Mesilla. There, we had to turn in our tourist cards to get the Mexico exit stamp that the Guatemala immigration officials expected to see before issuing an entry stamp for Guatemala. The catch is, on the Mexican side, no tourist card payment receipt along with the tourist card, no exit stamp. Bob C. proved this by appearing before the Mexican official with his tourist card, but his payment receipt was detached and sitting in his bags. The official would not issue the exit stamp without the corresponding payment receipt. He had to go back to his bike and get it. Then back in line. Good thing he had it with him, or he would have had to pay again for the tourist card (thus getting the payment receipt) and then immediately surrender it to get the exit stamp. There are probably very few circumstances where US travelers are headed south without valid (paid for) tourist cards. Just be sure to keep the tourist card and its receipt pages stapled together. No biggie.

Not sure about Belize, but for Guatemala, be sure to have both parts of the tourist card (actual short form and long form receipt) when seeking a Mexico exit stamp that the Guatemalans expect to see. This is not an issue when exiting into the US. Both Schizzman and I simply wanted to have fresh, valid tourist cards as we exited north.

Plus, it didn't hurt that the woman working Immigration at the Colombia Bridge was smokin' hot. And I mean hot

tricepilot screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 07:16 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #6602
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Was going for vagueness over accuracy.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #6603
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
With each passing day the women got a little hotter.

Hmmm, wonder what that's all about.

I've heard rumors of a Banjercito Babes In Bikinis calendar.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #6604
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
No complaints on my two days in Sayulita but my next pass through that area will be something less known for sure!!

Gotta go to know!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
We must have been looking at the same arco iris.
Spending four days with some friends in Ayala just up the cost.
Ayala for those of you who don't know is a small beach town,
with few gringos and friendly locals.

Leaving Tuesday for Comala to check out some local crafts and a hike on the volcano, then to the Monarch's and working East
to do some of mikemike's rides.

Twist it, Max
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #6605
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
El Ceibo a.k.a. Puerto Fronterizo El Ceibo

Beware this crossing on Mondays. Banjercito is closed on Mondays here. Sjoerd has posted on this also, as have others.

Schizz, Bob C., and I got our tourist cards reestablished at El Ceibo, but could not pay for them since the bank was closed. We rode all the way back through Mexico with stamped-but-not-paid-for tourist cards. Schizz and I simply solved this by paying for them at exit at the Colombia Bridge, thus establishing them with fresh 180 validity periods each. Bob C. exited separately so I don 't know what he did with his.

The potential Catch-22 here is what was expected of us heading south at La Mesilla. There, we had to turn in our tourist cards to get the Mexico exit stamp that the Guatemala immigration officials expected to see before issuing an entry stamp for Guatemala. The catch is, on the Mexican side, no tourist card payment receipt along with the tourist card, no exit stamp. Bob C. proved this by appearing before the Mexican official with his tourist card, but his payment receipt was detached and sitting in his bags. The official would not issue the exit stamp without the corresponding payment receipt. He had to go back to his bike and get it. Then back in line. Good thing he had it with him, or he would have had to pay again for the tourist card (thus getting the payment receipt) and then immediately surrender it to get the exit stamp. There are probably very few circumstances where US travelers are headed south without valid (paid for) tourist cards. Just be sure to keep the tourist card and its receipt pages stapled together. No biggie.

Not sure about Belize, but for Guatemala, be sure to have both parts of the tourist card (actual short form and long form receipt) when seeking a Mexico exit stamp that the Guatemalans expect to see. This is not an issue when exiting into the US. Both Schizzman and I simply wanted to have fresh, valid tourist cards as we exited north.

Plus, it didn't hurt that the woman working Immigration at the Colombia Bridge was smokin' hot. And I mean hot
Excellent info. Clutching out of Tucson Friday March 24 for a month in Mexico and GT

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 11:49 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #6606
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRider View Post

FWIW, I haven't ridden down in Mexico for about 10 years...but my buddy was killed and robbed 4 years ago in an intentional traffic accident outside of Veracruz. He was towing a boat to start a fly-fishing venture down in Xcalak and someone liked his boat and his packed to the gills Suburban with gringo plates. They drove him off the road, sent him to the hospital, he got out a week later to find everything had disappeared from the impound yard. He died of a blood clot breaking lose from his leg shortly after. Neither of us were ever considered very "risk averse".

Thanks!
Hmmmm, interesting. Where exactly was that?
FWIW he wasn't exactly killed in the intentional traffic accident if he died from a blood clot a week afterwards.
If you haven't ridden here in 10 years, it has only gotten easier and it is as safe today as it ever was.
I am also curious as to why he would have a boat to start a fly fishing operation? Hip waders normally work well, but then again I ride a bike and don't fish all that much. Sorry to hear about the misfortune, it is the exception and not the rule.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #6607
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

This post is worthless w/o pics. Although, Bob, I do trust your judgement.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #6608
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
This post is worthless w/o pics. Although, Bob, I do trust your judgement.
I'll back him on this, Mark. She was a hottie.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6609
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
ChangoGS screwed with this post Today at 10:02 AM
Hah! In your dreams, Jaime!!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6610
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Can anyone else make any sense out of this article?

Its the typical "US travel advisory to Mexico" stuff, and I know my Mexican states, but it still makes my head spin...

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...est=latestnews

Trying to read this article makes you realize why some folks think all of Mexico is dangerous.

Granted, its Fox, so I'll probably just ignore it. Or read the US warning directly. And then ignore it.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #6611
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
John-

You're making quite the expedition. I'm sure Michigan had the same balmy conditions as us this weekend - teens maybe up to the 30s.

Make sure you enjoy the good weather all you can!

If you see SR, make sure you ask if he's got any leftover mole in the fridge. If he does, make sure you don't eat it, but bring samples back to me. I will make sure its safe for human consumption.
Too late. He just left us. We were all going to go to his favorite restaurant with him and his family for Valentines Day. But his little girl wasn't feeling well so the family went to Appleby's. Joe and I politely declined and are heading for the original venue and a sample of thier margaritas.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #6612
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post
Too late. He just left us. We were all going to go to his favorite restaurant with him and his family for Valentines Day. But his little girl wasn't feeling well so the family went to Appleby's. Joe and I politely declined and are heading for the original venue and a sample of thier margaritas.
Chiles en Nogada.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #6613
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Chiles en Nogada.
Si, senor.

But...can anyone tell me why they built a giant soundstage outside my hotel window here in Durango and have started blasting live music across the Plaza Mayor-- which has been fenced off for some sort of fiesta? Is Valentines Day such a big deal in Mexico? The hotel lady assures me the music won't run past midnight. Okay. Una Tecate mas, por favor.

Had a great day with SR here in DGO and taking his "special route" to the Pacific tomorrow. Worried about gas as my KLR with its funky carb seems to eat up fuel. One of the towns we pass through is Jesus Maria. I am hoping prayer will be of some help.

Adios!

JohnD
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #6614
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post
Si, senor.

But...can anyone tell me why they built a giant soundstage outside my hotel window here in Durango and have started blasting live music across the Plaza Mayor-- which has been fenced off for some sort of fiesta? Is Valentines Day such a big deal in Mexico? The hotel lady assures me the music won't run past midnight. Okay. Una Tecate mas, por favor.

Had a great day with SR here in DGO and taking his "special route" to the Pacific tomorrow. Worried about gas as my KLR with its funky carb seems to eat up fuel. One of the towns we pass through is Jesus Maria. I am hoping prayer will be of some help.

Adios!

JohnD
Do you mean this Band???

it kept me awake for a while too the day I did pass by Durango

they were as well right in front on my room window!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 09:40 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #6615
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Hotel Catedral in Durango is a great place for the budget-minded rider. Park your bike in the lobby and set out on foot to enjoy El Centro. But you might not get to sleep very early if your room faces the Catedral.