Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #6706
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
I have just returned from a 2 month trip down south.

I'm no hero but I do keep my awareness level up at all times, in any city or country I visit.
I have never felt more at ease in the company of the Mexican people I met on my travels. The same goes for the other central American countries I have visited.
I grew up in Ireland in the 70's, when the bombs were going off in northern Ireland every day. The press here were all over it and all but killed our tourist industry by sending negative messages to potential tourists in the USA.
They are doing the same thing with the drug war going on in Mexico. Killing innocent motorcyclists is not on anybody's daily agenda in any country.

I'll repeat what I have read here on this thread. Stay away from bad areas, suspicious looking people and you will be fine. That advice goes for any country on the planet.
My next trip is through Iraq. Should I be worried?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #6707
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I am going to reply to you one last time to set the record straight.
I wanted the details on what happened in order to educate myself about it. I asked you for them twice, politely...
Polite? Settin the record straight means tellin it like it happened...not pretending you were a decent sort the whole time in front of your pals, mikemike.

As for everyone else, I sent an apology to Kenny for being out of line. I did it because I was wrong and not because of any shit I got flipped on here.

Meanwhile, I will just keep spending as much time as I can with the riding community in CR and providing a workspace, tools, routes and support to guys riding thru from up north and youll be glad to know I won't bother your little club on here anymore.

Now the record is set straight.
Safe riding to all of you.

ArcticRider screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 03:02 AM
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #6708
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Wink

Was in ACA Feb 2 & 3. Had absolutely no problems. Went to all the places gentlemen shouldn't go and still couldn't find trouble. Hung out at Playa Caleta (?sp) very Mex beach, had lots of fun there too. You could tell there was a slightly higher level of tension on the streets around 4am, but never felt imminent danger. If your a midget, there's lots of employment opportunities in ACA. Let's see who bites on that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Just wrapping up a couple of days in Puerto Escondido and the beach just south. Nice chill area. I prefer the surf spot just south of PE central. More chill and there's surf!

I am heading north tomorrow and will probably cut inland around Acapulco. Not hearing the greatest accounts of that area. We will see I am sure I will get lost as I seem to everyday and make adjustments when I figure out where I am!!

I still keep a greater sense of awareness but I still think the greatest risk to all riding adventure riding, around town or anywhere is riding the motorcycle itself! I accepted risk many years ago. Before people start lighting into me, read text in bold again!!

My trip has been a great experience so far and I have 11 or 12 riding days left. I hope the remaining days are right on par with what I have experienced.

Hope to update RR tomorrow. How come other peoples spots don't have a bunch of circles and overlapping lines on them like mine?!?! Hmmmmmmm
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #6709
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
I'll Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
If your a midget, there's lots of employment opportunities in ACA. Let's see who bites on that one?
I was working undercover for the Mexican government at an undisclosed location near Mexico City a few weeks ago, and was able to take this photo of a notorious American biker gang and its leader, code named "The Midget Tamer"

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #6710
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Seems like I don't understand the rules for me being able to post on this thread according to a newly self appointed monitor.

Can someone please explain to me the new rules for what I can and cannot post? I do not want to make the self appointed monitor get his panties in a wad again.

Thanks again for the feed back from all of you guys who ride and live in Mexico. It gave me the encouragement that I needed to make my first trip to Mexico last year. I will be spending around 8 weeks total over 3 trips traveling in Mexico this year. (Oops, did I just break the new posting rules again? My bad.)
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #6711
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
My next trip is through Iraq. Should I be worried?
I'm waiting for events in Syria to come to a head then blow over so I can ride Syria, Lebanon, Israel & Jordan. Might take 1-2 years to stabilize but if Jordan ends up controlling the region I'll probably go.

Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery took a group to Iran last year. Have you corresponded with him about riding that region?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #6712
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Just wrapping up a couple of days in Puerto Escondido and the beach just south. Nice chill area. I prefer the surf spot just south of PE central. More chill and there's surf!
You should be able to recognize this spot on the main drag then.

Sunrise at Puerto Escondido, right outside Cafecito, getting the daily cup of joe (more like 5)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #6713
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery took a group to Iran last year.
That was in 2006
Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #6714
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That was in 2006
When I spoke with Skip in Batopilas last spring he said he was taking a group through Turkey to Iran later in the year. At least that's what I thought he said.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #6715
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I was working undercover for the Mexican government at an undisclosed location near Mexico City a few weeks ago, and was able to take this photo of a notorious American biker gang and its leader, code named "The Midget Tamer"

Must be why he mounted the bottle opener so low on his bike. For all the Little People, I mean.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #6716
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
When I spoke with Skip in Batopilas last spring he said he was taking a group through Turkey to Iran later in the year. At least that's what I thought he said.
Skip is huge into fitness these days. He said he had a turkey sandwich and then he ran.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #6717
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Morning Cup of Joe with Ximena Navarrete

Because she likes her coffee just the way you do

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #6718
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Skip is huge into fitness these days. He said he had a turkey sandwich and then he ran.
Jajajajajaja!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #6719
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
This is entirely possible, so I called him (got his voicemail). I'll post up what he says later today.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #6720
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Zicatella in the Morning

Early morning on the beach at Puerto Escondido. The Pacific tide rolling in.

The main part of town surrounds the bay in the distance.

Very peaceful