Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #676
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
[quote=Pedro Navaja]You could get it at the public library for free. That's what I did.quote]

There's this thing I like to do with books.When I encounter a "worthy reader"
I like to pass the book along, person to person. I've had some great books
come to me that way as well. Nothing wrong with the library, of course.
Great place to access Rosetta Stone for free!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #677
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
SchizzMan just became my hero
I'm honored, sir.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #678
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
The Governor of NM has just ordered a large contingent of NM national guard to the border to keep the violence from spilling over.

Not going to happen. For a variety of reasons that TFMs won't understand.

Actually, I heard an interesting rumor tonight that made sense. Blackwater mercenaries - excuse, me, "contractors" - are being airlifted into Mexico down here via helicopter to avoid the US Border Patrol.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #679
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
...Actually, I heard an interesting rumor tonight that made sense. Blackwater mercenaries - excuse, me, "contractors" - are being airlifted into Mexico down here via helicopter to avoid the US Border Patrol.
Probably myth. The company hasn't been called Blackwater for a few years now. They changed their name.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #680
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,740
What is noteworthy, is that NM's governor is hispanic, his mother is from Mexico and he grew up and went to school there. So for those that say that they know Mexico, good on ya. Keep posting pics of Latin women.
I agree it is eveyone's personal willingness to accept the risk. That is cool.

I still want it to "simmer down" a little before I plan another trip to Mex. I really can't wait, it is a great place!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #681
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What is noteworthy, is that NM's governor is hispanic, his mother is from Mexico and he grew up and went to school there...
What does the NM governor being Latino have to do with anything? I don't see how his cultural/ethnic background has anything to do with the issue. 'Splain please.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #682
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
What does the NM governor being Latino have to do with anything? I don't see how his cultural/ethnic background has anything to do with the issue. 'Splain please.

I just think that his up-bringing in the country (more than his genetics) might give him a better insight into the mind set of what is going on. He has bargained many agreements with Mex during his term as Gov, has spent a lot of time down there and should have a better handle on it than most.
So.....when he thinks it deserves to send the Nat Guard (on top of the massive homeland security already there) it gets my attention.

That being said, I think he is a terrible governor of our state.
(mostly for fiscal reasons)
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #683
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just think that his up-bringing in the country (more than his genetics) might give him a better insight into the mind set of what is going on. He has bargained many agreements with Mex during his term as Gov, has spent a lot of time down there and should have a better handle on it than most.
So.....when he thinks it deserves to send the Nat Guard (on top of the massive homeland security already there) it gets my attention.

That being said, I think he is a terrible governor of our state.
(mostly for fiscal reasons)
I don't like him as a politician. He oozes sleaze IMO. His dad was actually more Mexican than Gringo too, not just his mom. However, him being Latino may or may not have an influence, and sometimes inferences from this influence may go either way, good or bad depending on the perspective fo the observer.

As you pointed out, it is relevant that he has experience as a resident in Mexico, and for cross border trade this should indeed be a benefit. I see the relevance of your opinion now based on his experience The cultural background, however, is a wild card.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 07:25 AM
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #684
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
Pirate John,
Your comment that "you just don't want to be in the middle" is exactly the problem that prompted me to cancel my trip down to Guanajuato this month. I hate this situation because I love most everything about going to Mexico. (i've been going there since I was about 5 and now I'm 62). If you're just blissfully riding along and the shit develops all around you, there isn't a lot of recourse. I'm not the least bit concerned about being targeted; I'm concerned about being in the "middle". Am I being too cautious ? I just don't know. I do know my wife is happier with my decision not to go.

I just came back from a bar where I was chatting with some folks who have been traveling around the border. At the risk of being accused of PWI I'll try to keep it short.

The word is that there are currently roadblocks by the cartel members on all the roads in and out of Reynosa. I take "all" with a grain of salt, but one shouldn't be too shocked to be stopped.

We all agreed that the cartel is looking for rival members and that an old gringo on a motorcycle that cannot speak Spanish isn't likely to be targeted. Generally speaking they aren't holding folks up or anything, just looking for the opposition, although there have been a few instances of car jacking (I have heard several folks say to be wary of driving a nice SUV into Mexico right now).

Still ... I have been "encouraged" to wait a few weeks before I go riding much past the border areas. The universal feeling around here is that this won't last and that Mexico will be back to what passes for normal in a relatively short period of time.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #685
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...The word is that there are currently roadblocks by the cartel members on all the roads in and out of Reynosa...
This hit the newspapers today. It started on Tuesday. My advice is simply to cross further west. I really like the Eagle Pass and Del Rio crossings.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #686
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Probably myth. The company hasn't been called Blackwater for a few years now. They changed their name.

From Wiki: "Xe Services LLC (pronounced /ˈziː/), still usually referred to as "Blackwater"

Actually, IMHO from the standpoint of having worked for a military contractor and hearing a ton of "spook" stories myself, this one makes painful sense. This would explain why we've had those public border crossings with a Mexican helicopter; they are picking up armed folks that cannot drive across the border in a normal manner.

And when someone says "Blackwater" I just assume that's generic for "hired gun." Sorta like people used to say that they were going to Xerox a document instead of copy it.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #687
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
This hit the newspapers today. It started on Tuesday. My advice is simply to cross further west. I really like the Eagle Pass and Del Rio crossings.

That would probably be my advice too.

Heard anything about the road between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey? The libre has had some trouble in the towns, but the toll road seems to be wide open. It's boring, but it's a big ol' safe ride.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #688
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Maybe he gets sucked. Que no?

Dunno about that, but the poor gal was barely keeping her bra in her dress and barely keeping her breasts in her bra.

I'm sure that a gentleman like Crash would gladly take her back to his room and help her "rearrange" things.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #689
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From Wiki: "Xe Services LLC (pronounced /ˈziː/), still usually referred to as "Blackwater"

Actually, IMHO from the standpoint of having worked for a military contractor and hearing a ton of "spook" stories myself, this one makes painful sense. This would explain why we've had those public border crossings with a Mexican helicopter; they are picking up armed folks that cannot drive across the border in a normal manner.

And when someone says "Blackwater" I just assume that's generic for "hired gun." Sorta like people used to say that they were going to Xerox a document instead of copy it.
I see your point. But I still think it's a stretch. That would have been all over the press if Xe would have gotten into border narco-policing. Plus they are too easy a target to be rooted out by the narcos. But one never knows, there are a lot of US Latino veterans out there who wouldn't mind adventure type work

Quote:
That would probably be my advice too.

Heard anything about the road between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey? The libre has had some trouble in the towns, but the toll road seems to be wide open. It's boring, but it's a big ol' safe ride.
My last ride on that road was in Nov '09. It was fine then, but as you know things change quickly. On the ride in, or maybe it was on my return, there was a shooting near the La Posada hotel on the Laredo side. But it appeared to be a personal vendetta over a gambling debt of $10. Talk about being like The Wild West. Old man dead, shot by a younger man. They caught the perp.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #690
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...I'm sure that a gentleman like Crash would gladly take her back to his room and help her "rearrange" things.
The question is whether or not his little black book is for sale