Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #7006
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
We'll see how it all shakes out. There's a lot of excitement about it, that's for sure.

Agreed!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #7007
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
It really isn't safe here in Mexico you know. I had a burro fall off a cliff into the road in front of me the other day.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7008
Jerry Atrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Per thread instructions, I'm posting this on the last page looking for advice. My questions are less about safety (I think I understand the basics...border areas are more dangerous than the rest of the country but probably no worse than a lot of places in the U.S....be stupid or an asshole and you're more likely to have trouble than if you're a friendly, confident, situationally aware motorcyclist dressed in a bright yellow costume, etc.)...and more about route, road and weather conditions that time of year, reasonable daily mileage estimates, food, lodging and sightseeing suggestions, etc. So I hope this is the right place to post. In early May I'm hoping to ferry from Baja to Mazatlan, then head for Texas and ultimately North Carolina. I've got about four days to cross the Mexican mainland. On the map, 40 to Durango and Torreon, then 30 and 57 to Piedras Negras looks good...how 'bout in reality? I'll be by myself and prolly riding the Gold Wing, the better to deal with the long freeway slogs out and back. But that also means if the bike stops for some reason, I'm screwed! (On my KLR I might have at least a chance of fixing it myself or finding a local who could figure it out.) I'm having a bit of apprehension about taking the Wing and I learned a long time ago to trust my gut, even though the bike is in good repair, has only 60k miles and has never let me down. In terms of experience, I've done a couple Baja trips on the KLR but have never been to the mainland. Wide open for suggestions. Thanks in advance...
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #7009
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
For an interesting ride report about dirt exploration on the Mexico side of the border in the Big Bend region, see Milton's story here

Milton fears no challenge, and in this one, it was JT's guiding skills that got them close to, or maybe to, their goal of finding a path through the Sierra del Carmen. I won't spoil the story! This is a good read and there are plenty of nice Mexico desert photographs.

And for an interesting map (I love maps) showing roads connecting to Boquillas del Carmen from inside Mexico, see post #28 in the link above.

Good story, but a bit more adventure than I want. That is some rugged terrain. I'll look at the Sierra del Carmen from afar.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #7010
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Atrick View Post
I'm having a bit of apprehension about taking the Wing and I learned a long time ago to trust my gut
Here's Termite (Sterett) posing on his wing in Pachuca. This was on the Into the Blue tour. Sterett came along with me to go scuba diving at Mahahual in the Yucatán. He rode that bike from Indianapolis, through Mexico, and back home. No problems whatsoever.

Got good tires and a fresh battery on your Wing? Yes? Then stop wringing your hands raw over worrying about taking that bike. Just be aware that you'll probably scrape some over tall topes compared to high sprung bikes such as a GSA that won't at all, but hey, you have a rolling couch with you anytime you need it.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #7011
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Atrick View Post
Per thread instructions, I'm posting this on the last page looking for advice. My questions are less about safety (I think I understand the basics...border areas are more dangerous than the rest of the country but probably no worse than a lot of places in the U.S....be stupid or an asshole and you're more likely to have trouble than if you're a friendly, confident, situationally aware motorcyclist dressed in a bright yellow costume, etc.)...and more about route, road and weather conditions that time of year, reasonable daily mileage estimates, food, lodging and sightseeing suggestions, etc. So I hope this is the right place to post. In early May I'm hoping to ferry from Baja to Mazatlan, then head for Texas and ultimately North Carolina. I've got about four days to cross the Mexican mainland. On the map, 40 to Durango and Torreon, then 30 and 57 to Piedras Negras looks good...how 'bout in reality? I'll be by myself and prolly riding the Gold Wing, the better to deal with the long freeway slogs out and back. But that also means if the bike stops for some reason, I'm screwed! (On my KLR I might have at least a chance of fixing it myself or finding a local who could figure it out.) I'm having a bit of apprehension about taking the Wing and I learned a long time ago to trust my gut, even though the bike is in good repair, has only 60k miles and has never let me down. In terms of experience, I've done a couple Baja trips on the KLR but have never been to the mainland. Wide open for suggestions. Thanks in advance...

Jerry, I am hoping that someone who has done that route recently will chime in (Schizz, weren't you there recently?)

From what I have heard your plan is well doable in 4 days. From what I know from experience you should stay in Mazatlan for several days and party - it's a beautiful city.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #7012
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Jerry, I am hoping that someone who has done that route recently will chime in (Schizz, weren't you there recently?)

From what I have heard your plan is well doable in 4 days. From what I know from experience you should stay in Mazatlan for several days and party - it's a beautiful city.
Doable in three days but take four and enjoy it. Can go through Monclova to Piedras Negras or Saltillo to Colombia Bridge.

Only caution is the topes. Hit one hard enough and you might shed some Tupperware off a Wing. Even going EZ over every tope you could end up scratching a Wing belly. Others have. The ride is worth it IMO.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #7013
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Old-n-Slo in Mexico and Beyond

Left S. Cristobal de las Casas this morning and crossed into Guatemala at La Mesilla. Piece of cake. But a landslide had closed Hwy 1 about 15 miles into Gtla. People were out of the buses and sitting in the weeds, truckers were asleep under their rigs, hucksters were walking along the back-up selling food. Looked like this shit had been going on for hours!

Managed to weasel around everybody and with the encouragement of the locals got to the front of the line where they had bulldozed a two trtack tghrough the debris where the road used to be. They decided to hose it down to control dust but all it did was create this 50-yard long two-track mudhole. Glad I´m running knobbies on the KLR. I sure LOVE the Latin approach to managing traffic. Laws are "suggested practices" and creativity seems to be encouraged on the road. Drivers have been curteous and helpful and no one appeared offended that a motorcycle would go down the wroing side of the road to get around a traffic back-up. In fact, they seemed to delight in it.

So, long day on the bike but not many miles. In Huehuetenango tonight and down to Panajachel tomorrow. Would like to take the El Ceibo crossing back into Mexico from Tikal later in the month. Any information on the road from Flores to El Ceibo and what to expect at the frontier?

Thanks.

JohnD
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #7014
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post
Left S. Cristobal de las Casas this morning and crossed into Guatemala at La Mesilla. Piece of cake. But a landslide had closed Hwy 1 about 15 miles into Gtla. People were out of the buses and sitting in the weeds, truckers were asleep under their rigs, hucksters were walking along the back-up selling food. Looked like this shit had been going on for hours!

Managed to weasel around everybody and with the encouragement of the locals got to the front of the line where they had bulldozed a two trtack tghrough the debris where the road used to be. They decided to hose it down to control dust but all it did was create this 50-yard long two-track mudhole. Glad I´m running knobbies on the KLR. I sure LOVE the Latin approach to managing traffic. Laws are "suggested practices" and creativity seems to be encouraged on the road. Drivers have been curteous and helpful and no one appeared offended that a motorcycle would go down the wroing side of the road to get around a traffic back-up. In fact, they seemed to delight in it.

So, long day on the bike but not many miles. In Huehuetenango tonight and down to Panajachel tomorrow. Would like to take the El Ceibo crossing back into Mexico from Tikal later in the month. Any information on the road from Flores to El Ceibo and what to expect at the frontier?

Thanks.

JohnD
Hey John,

Sounds like the same area where we encountered a mud slide after clearing the border in La Mesilla.

From Flores take CA5 southwesterly through San Antonio to La Libertad where you turn right onto CA13 to go northwesterly to La Ceiba. It was easy enough after getting directions onto CA5 and then again to find CA13. No more than the usual effort to land nav. Roads were good and the border crossing new and modern. More efficient on the Mx side but we had no issues. Pretty country to ride through.

You gonna see Palenque, too?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #7015
chiwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
my homeland state Tamaulipas, is well protected by Chuck Norris.

Just be carefull, and ride safe!
chiwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #7016
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Granadazzoz

Just missead it ...As I was coming back from Monclova yesterday there in Allende took the detour to Acuna around 5pm
after we passed they blocked the highway with 18wheelers they even closed the bridge for a few

GRANADAZZOZ

Bato screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 12:49 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #7017
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Our Salma Serenade

Feeling totally done in with the crud, the temperature and the works today, so here's a musical moment from our Señora del Dia to at least make the afternoon enjoyable

Siente mi amor

Una historia sin tiempo
Que no tiene fin
un amor como el nuestro
no, ni nunca podra morir
Quiero ser en tu alma
un momento feliz
te amare por siempre
vivire dentro de ti

En los dias de dolor
siente mi amor
que vendra con el viento
que vendra con el sol
en los ojos de dios
lejos de ti
me veras en sue
sentiras mi besos
y oirias reir

si te sientes solo
y estas en silencio
piensa en mis caricias
y en nuestros secretos
quiero ser en tu alma
un momento feliz
te amare por siempre
vivire dentro de ti

En los dias de dolor
siente mi amor

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #7018
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305

ChangoGS screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 09:31 PM
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #7019
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-n-slo View Post

Thanks.

JohnD
Road is good. Lots of tumulos,, horses, donkeys, dogs, pigs, ducks, kids.... the usual stuff. El Ceibo is simple. Visit Migration in the upper trailer, turn in your vehicle stickerat the lower trailer, say goodbye GT , Go to the first building on the MX side and get your new tourist visa, pull up the Aduana. They asked me a few questions and I was on my way. Peaceful crossing . That was two days ago.

There was a police licence and registration check just before the crossing. A MX military check just after the crossing and two passport checks in Tenosique.

Remember to change your leftover Q,s for Pesos. The changers were giving the published bank rate. Don't no how they make any money.

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 09:53 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #7020
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
TodayI went through two of those gamma ray machines the Federales are operating. All brand shiny new. Are they dangerous?.

I noticed a tingling in my scrotum at the hotel. Maybe it was the young hot desk clerk