Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #706
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn

With all that said, we are talking about a fairly small ring of trouble around the border. I heard they were having a little trouble in Tampico (reading this JD? ) but personally I wouldn't hesitate to ride across the border and head down towards Tampico or over to Victoria or Saltillo or Monterrey.
Got it, thanks. And thanks, Mike, for the links - interesting reading.

I disagree with Crashmaster's assessment of the value of his own opinions. All of
us who are experienced travelers of Mexico and students of the language,
history, culture and cuisine (OK, and women) have something to contribute
and I continue to read posts here that have greater value to me than any
published news account.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be totally full of it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 10:34 AM Reason: make it a little less "preachy"
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #707
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
The Governor of NM has just ordered a large contingent of NM national guard to the border to keep the violence from spilling over.
from which side ??

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #708
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to ride across the border and head down towards Tampico or over to Victoria or Saltillo or Monterrey.
I'm just waiting a few weeks to see if things calm down. Whoever coined the term "risk management" was spot on.
Looks like the weekend of May 7-9 will be my next chance to come check
out the border area. That's after I return from Puebla so I'll have some new
lies to tell.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 10:32 AM
Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #709
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
There is also some thought around here that the military and the police are somewhat content to let the Zetas and the Gulf Cartel shoot each other to pieces.
If true it's the same position authorities took when the Bloods and Crips first
took it to the streets in South Central LA years ago. Maybe Mike is right
about things being pretty much the same either side of the border.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #710
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
...., although there have been a few instances of car jacking (I have heard several folks say to be wary of driving a nice SUV into Mexico right now).
Holy shit !
now I will need to hide my toys!!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #711
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
If true it's the same position authorities took when the Bloods and Crips first
took it to the streets in South Central LA years ago. Maybe Mike is right
about things being pretty much the same either side of the border.
My old neighborhood. Bloods & Crips used to really be one gang, it was called Slauson. I remember the split. Somehow the internet has the origin all messed up. I'll save the stories of life in the hood for a beer sometime.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #712
Mezcalito
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Very interesting thread--I just read the entire thing. It was a good way to jump in to the Asylum, head first. I made a couple of long trips through Northern Mexico, entering at Nuevo Laredo, Tx., as far south as Queretaro in '77 and '78. I remember there was a U.S. State Dept. official warning to travelers advising against unnecessary travel in Northern Mex. at that time. Specifically, a couple of U.S. moto tourists had experienced problems of the violent sort, but I can't remember the specifics of that incident now. I do remember quite a few people saying I was nuts to ride my '74 R75/6 BMW alone, down in to Mexico. On the way, at a photo stop I met two cool guys from Portland, Oregon in Pecos, Tx, riding on a 750cc Honda. I invited them to make a side trip down to San Luis Potosi to visit a good friend with me. They had the extra time and desire, but the story of the dry-gulched Gringo bikers the previous month kept them from accompanying me. I still visit those guys and they still regret not having gone with me 33 years ago! I try not to rub it in too much. And I long ago stopped recounting the tale of meeting the beautiful senorita and almost getting married. I still have the photos though.

Well, I had the greatest adventure on that first Spring 1977 ride in to Mexico. The only problems I had could have been easily avoided by simply not riding at night. The first night riding dreamly along on a new, smooth as glass pavement, I launched off of a 2&1/2' sudden drop off where new asphalt paving ended and the lower unpaved gravel roadbed started. Of course it was unmarked and caught me by surprise as I was looking at the surreal moonlit cactus. I sailed in to the thin fragrant air about 45mph after a split second of braking. It was like hitting a horizontal runaway truck ramp, rear wheel first touchdown. I managed to keep it upright, barely, and immediately after that lucky escape, decided to camp out in the milpa corn field up a little hill bench from the road construction zone. I remember enjoying a beautiful high desert magical full moon in the afterglow of the slowly diminishing adrenalin coursing through my young gringo veins.

In the early morning the farmer who farmed the cornfield shared with me the most delicious beans, most suave corn tortillas, salsa and huevos bien sabrosos, and venado (venison) breakfast I've ever had. The entire trip was like that. I was treated like royalty and cared for as an honored guest. It was so great that I went back the next year for another moto adventure.

I'm planning a reunion trip this fall through the same area to visit some of the same friends I met on those trips. Most of the little kids I met on that trip (and gave some frisbees to and taught how to flip soda pop bottle caps by snapping your fingers) will have kids of their own now. I plan to bring some disc golf gear and help them set up a course complete with woven baskets on poles.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. This time I'm hoping to make the trip on a 2007 R1200 Adventure BMW. I'll ask a couple of buddies if they want to go to Northern Mexico with me; I plan to enter through Baja in early Oct. Hopefully they won't read the latest State Dept. Travel Advisory against unnecessary travel to some states and frontera areas of Northern Mexico. But this trip for me is a very necessary one, so I can't really avoid it.
Mezcalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #713
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
from which side ??

Funny.

Have you noticed that the border fence also does an effective job of keeping us gringos from fleeing?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #714
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
Holy shit !
now I will need to hide my toys!!!

So I take it that you think the warnings are overblown, Amigo?

On sort of a related subject I thought that I read somewhere that Suburbans were no longer being sold in Mexico. They sure are popular over here, and my friends that grew up around Saltillo have at least two in the family.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #715
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Funny.

Have you noticed that the border fence also does an effective job of keeping us gringos from fleeing?
Now there's one for "The WTF - picture thread" - a gringo being helped to
return through the border fence by a Mexican "coyote"!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #716
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalito

I'm planning a reunion trip this fall through the same area to visit some of the same friends I met on those trips. ...

But this trip for me is a very necessary one, so I can't really avoid it.

I wish you the best of luck Sir. Sounds like you've got the right attitude.

As always, if you find yourself meandering through our little bit of paradise feel free to drop me a line and I'll see if we can't get a person or two together to celebrate your travels.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #717
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Now there's one for "The WTF - picture thread" - a gringo being helped to
return through the border fence by a Mexican "coyote"!

Good visual.

It's kinda like truckin' ... the overall rates drop when there is efficient two way traffic.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #718
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
And Now a Word from our Sponsor

Kate del Castillo

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #719
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Danna Garcia

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #720
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Some lady down in JoMomma called me a Brown Caucasian. Is Kate del Castillo one of those too? Danna Garcia?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote