Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #7546
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post
I have loads of stories, but no thread. Should I tell the Jesus Maria, Nayarit! (exclamation point since it's clearly a blasphemy) story here? Or does it belong in another thread? I don't want to highjack this one...
I can assure you that after 500 odd pages, this thread has NEVER been hijacked.

Go ahead, make our day. We're all here for the stories. Then, after dark, and we start the campfire, PirateJohn will lead us all in a round of Kumbaya.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #7547
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post
I have loads of stories, but no thread. Should I tell the Jesus Maria, Nayarit! (exclamation point since it's clearly a blasphemy) story here? Or does it belong in another thread? I don't want to highjack this one...
http://journals.worldnomads.com/alpiner84
Albuquerque to Panama on an XT225 (and other adventures)

Alpiner84, it's good to see a link to your Ride Report again. While not in official ADV format, between the photos and narrative I think it's one of the best Mexico RRs around.

Saludos
SR
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #7548
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
And in other news, the transmission and rear wheel have been re-attached to my 1100GS, and pending a few more tests (more than 4 miles), its itchin' for another ride to Mexico. Because all good motorcycles want to go to Mexico.

Wow! she's looking real nice! A little too nice. Bring'er down and we'll see if we can't get'er a little scuffed up!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #7549
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Muzquiz Coah Mexico Saturday pimp out

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #7550
Bato
Studly Adventurer

President Calderon is selling his place in SMA

16ac tract Last I heard of him is that he is moving to Rome, Italy
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #7551
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,108
Putative offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Just wondering if my fellow inmates are as outraged and appalled as I am (not at all) by the reports of the Secret Service advance squad cavorting with prostitutes in Cartagena. I mean, what are they supposed to do? All probably just a big misunderstanding. Perhaps the putative putas were just a welcoming committee of sorts.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 10:41 AM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #7552
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
http://journals.worldnomads.com/alpiner84
Albuquerque to Panama on an XT225 (and other adventures)

Alpiner84, it's good to see a link to your Ride Report again. While not in official ADV format, between the photos and narrative I think it's one of the best Mexico RRs around.

Saludos
SR
Thanks SR!

I came across Sarah's RR last year then promptly lost the URL.

That's some good reading/pix right there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #7553
bolbos
n00b

Oddometer: 2
For Alpiner84

Alpine84, just want to ask you to check your in box, I sent you a note about a week ago. Just want to make sure you got it, sorry for disrupting thread, as such.
bolbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #7554
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
I can assure you that after 500 odd pages, this thread has NEVER been hijacked.

Go ahead, make our day. We're all here for the stories. Then, after dark, and we start the campfire, PirateJohn will lead us all in a round of Kumbaya.
Okay then, here it goes!

I'd been riding with an Australian guy, Charlie, for a few weeks. We'd made it to Durango, and managed to hook up with SR, who described to us an interesting route through the Sierra Madre to the coast. He assured us it was doable in a day, so we decided to tackle it. The main advice we received from SR and locals about this area was this: DO NOT be on the road after dark. Seriously. Don't do it. Narcotraficantes in the Sierra Madre and all that. Just don't. Now Charlie, who's fast on the bike and makes me eat his dust, is very slow to get on the road in the mornings, and we didn't end up leaving for this little adventure until ~10-11am, waaay too late.

The majority of the ride went really well, with amazing vistas, decent road conditions, and awesome little quirky towns and locals along the way.

Then, in the late afternoon, about 25 miles from Jesus Maria, with Charlie a ways ahead of me, I crashed Was cruising comfortably on a dirt road at ~30 mph, front tire went into an unexpected sand pothole, got into a front-end wobble, highsided, and landed full force on my left shoulder. Only my left shoulder. Things tore and crunched. It was bad. I jumped to my feet, tried to lift the bike, and damn near blacked out. Every time I tried to stand up or move so much as my left pinky, I got tunnel vision. So I stopped trying, lay down in the road, and waited for Charlie to figure out I wasn't behind him anymore. It was actually really peaceful lying there...

That took awhile. But by the time he came back, I was feeling like I could sit up, eventually stand, etc. The sun was seriously horizon-bound at that point, and busted shoulder or no busted shoulder, I was going to have to ride my bike to somewhere, because staying on the road after dark simply was not an option.

I rode very slowly. More things tore. It...wasn't good. But we made it back to pavement as the sun went down, and as dusk settled in we pulled into the town of Jesus Maria, Nayarit! It wasn't the road, so it had to be safer, right?

Super-dodgy little town. It took ages to get directions to the only hotel in the place, a nasty little joint with a door that didn't lock, so when we went to bed that night we wrapped a bike lock through the door and the window

Plenty of locals were out an about, so even though it was pitch-dark on the streets, we made our way to the town square for food. We ate amazing street-stall tacos, and split a 6-pack while sitting on a sidewalk watching life in the town. It was weird in that the town had such a raw, dangerous feel to it, but there were little kids and laughing women everywhere, and people were wonderfully friendly. But it also had more than its fair share of flashy black trucks with tinted windows, impeccably dressed men wearing sunglasses at night. And everyone just looked...wary.

On the way back to the hotel we passed a large group of very alert military guys watching over the whole plaza. They gave us the most slack-jawed looks of stunned surprise I think I'd ever seen. Clearly they were thinking, "What the hell are you guys doing here?!?" A little discomforting, but the looks on their faces was priceless. Charlie and I were laughing for ages after that. Then someone started following us from a parked bus. He was about 100 ft behind us all the way back to the hotel, then followed us into the courtyard. So we turned around and confronted him, and it was just the bus driver who needed to use the bathroom at the hotel (the owner was a friend). We ended up talking for at least an hour in the courtyard about all things Sierra Madre, the good, bad and ugly. Really interesting well-spoken man. He told us that the military was in town that day because just the day before a whole mess of narcos had been in town, armed and causing problems (like kidnappings), so someone called the military, which made the narcos flee. The bus driver told us we had definitely made the right decision to get to town because the section of road where I crashed was probably where they were hanging out that night.

The next morning we got the heck out of there at sunup and finished the ride to the coast.

The end :)
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #7555
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

Saludos
SR
Thanks I hadn't realized the link wasn't in my signature anymore until yesterday.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #7556
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbos View Post
Alpine84, just want to ask you to check your in box, I sent you a note about a week ago. Just want to make sure you got it, sorry for disrupting thread, as such.
Yes, sorry about the delayed response, I'll get to it today :)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #7557
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
^^^ Jesus Maria Nayarit!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #7558
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Great story / experience (now that you're safely back home, right?)

All hail Alpiner84! You can share your stories (or your photos ) here anytime.

I'm going to read more of your blog...... what a trip!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #7559
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Stories? We need stories. Especially from female adventurers. Or point me to the relevant thread.

BTW, is Jesus Maria, Nayarit some sort of Mexican expression of blasphemy? Or could it be?
Jesus Maria...where the "hotel" is some rooms above the fish restaurant and each room has a bano privado but it's around the corner on the balcony. All the shitters are in a row around the corner. You get a key to the one that's assigned to you. It is privado, it's just not near your room.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #7560
Bato
Studly Adventurer

More Pimp