Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #7666
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
On a serious note, anyone riding through Alamo earlier today would have seen the remains of a really bad traffic accident.
Bus vs. Truck head on. 43 dead at last count and 19 severely injured. It was a real mess up there, judging by what is moving through the press right now. Happened before dawn, around 4:30am.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #7667
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Trailer came loose and hit the bus.

Wire reports say the truck driver fled the scene
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #7668
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Had the good fortune of riding a steep section just after a D6 with a ripper had it's way with it.
The road out of Bato to Creel was that way when we came out of the canyon on the way north to the border. The new road is under construction, and the old road was covered with rubble and rock for 2 plus hours. We sat around and waited. In order to re-open the current road, two cats pushed the rest of the rock off the old road and down the canyon. We got to ride out on the just re-opened road.

Like you described, there is plenty of rough and steep road around the canyons, which gets to some really remote and beautiful places. I need a lighter bike next trip, KLX250 or XT250 are in my sights, finances willing.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #7669
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Urique to Bato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Rode it twice a few weeks ago on a F650 thumper. There are steep sections, ruts and such. No polvo to speak of. There was a grader crew on the Bato side the first time through. Good ride for a 650cc or lighter!
Myself and Iowa did the road from Urique to Bato last week (15th) but don't know if we did the "new" one or the old one. Sure did not look new and it was pretty damn difficult. It went directly up after crossing the river from the south side of Urique. There was a sign at about 6500 feet that said Ureique or Batopolis and there were 3 roads. We came from Urique so we knew where that road went. the sign pointed to Bato so we knew where that went, but we could not figure out where the road that came up to the sign goes...

I had a 12GSs and Iowa a GSA and he did it like a champ. I managed to crash a few times. The RR will explain. I did not have the right tires and/or skill.

We had planned to take the new road but did not have a GPS route for it.

Can any help clarify what and where the new and old road are? Here is my Spot tracks. the gap is when the batteries died. We started in Cerocahui, went up to Mesa de Arturo, down to Urique and then over the mountain to Batopilas.

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon

SoosCreek screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 09:18 PM
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #7670
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
The road out of Bato to Creel was that way when we came out of the canyon on the way north to the border. The new road is under construction, and the old road was covered with rubble and rock for 2 plus hours. We sat around and waited. In order to re-open the current road, two cats pushed the rest of the rock off the old road and down the canyon. We got to ride out on the just re-opened road.

Like you described, there is plenty of rough and steep road around the canyons, which gets to some really remote and beautiful places. I need a lighter bike next trip, KLX250 or XT250 are in my sights, finances willing.
t

Same story for us but we only waited for about 45 minutes. What I really wanted to know is what their plan is for the next 200-400 of down elevation and the new paved road. Must going to be a steep curvy "S" or something or they are going take out a whole lot of mountain....

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #7671
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
There are a number of roads shown in Guia Roji through the mountain region and if you were in Huejuquilla you were at least in a town on the route that I took.
My ride started from Fresnillo where the hotel clerk asked if I was taking the direct route to Tepic. Well, no I had no plan like that(nor ANY plan) and did not know one existed. So I asked for more details and he explained that there was a good road across the sierras"directly" to Tepic. Well alright ! that was the route for me ,something new to explore.
As he described it it was good, paved and only a short bit of gravel and I should be in Tepic in 8 hours of riding.Heard that sort of estimate before!
So I asked around some more.
To make a short story, I wound up going soutthwest from Fresnillo on Mex 44 ,no haste slow ,side trips into farming sideroads and villages , spent the night in Valparaiso. Next morning left Valparaiso carried on to Huejuquilla el Alto, from there followed the state highway soutwest into the altiplano-canyons-mesas wiiiiiide valleys-eroded scarps-plates -mountains to SanJuan Capistrano and Canoas where the road turned more southerly running along the top of one of the huge mesa ridges WOW scenery all the time..
Then came the gravel section, only about 22km long and quite good road , only a few rough rutted spots.Nothing at all as bad as the road west from Chinipas!- I could do it in the Focus without damage. Of course this was the remaining steepest bit of road farthest from either end climbing with many twists and turns and which still needs to be reconstructed and that work is going on as we speak progressing from the south end.
Spent a night in Jesus Maria NAY, in Hotel el Buen Pastor ( the founders folks had too much religion on the brain) the Friday before they were having a big doo with Nayars showing up in costume.
From JM it was again up into spectacular mesa and canyons country to Mesa de Nayar and then came the front range of the mountains view across everything to the coast , descent to tropical climate and Estacion Ruiz ,east of Mex 15. This was still about 30km north of Tepic close enough
.But WOW and double WOW a great road.
Beside Fresnillo and Valparaiso Hotels are found also in Huejuquilla, San Juan Capistrano, and eco-cabins at Canoas. and in Estacion Ruiz , so there is no need to panic as long as you time it to be in one of these places before sunset.
And anyone who does the trip in 8 hours(if that is possible) is riding way too fast to be enjoying any of the scenert

I just did the same route back on past Jan.

I have done it 3 times, the 2nd time, all the road was pure dirt from Canoas up to Venados (near Estacion Ruiz). I really miss that dirt road.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761431

Arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #7672
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
We were at the same sign about this time last year (RR: Aye Chihuahua 2011). To the right of the sign the road goes downhill to Urique. To the left the road forks. Left fork goes hard left against a road cut and is, by my understanding, the old road to Bato. The right fork goes straight then curves right and up a hill. This is the new road to Bato. We road it the week it was completed and it had one technical section of deep polvo with hidden baby head rocks where I went down. Actually I got off 3 times that day on the new road. But I'm not a very good dirt rider.

Hope this clarifies things.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #7673
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:

It's my plan to return when I get a WR250R. At least I'll be able to pick it up by myself.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #7674
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 355
At freaking last...

I'm packed, the bike's road tested & ready and I'm off in the morning. That's the good news. I don't have any bad news. I told herself I'd be back in 8 weeks if I don't get killed or busted. Damn! Hope to see a few of you when I'm in your neighborhood.

Woo Hoo!

LL75

(Ain't this better than reading about blood & gore?)
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #7675
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
I just did the same route back on past Jan.

I have done it 3 times, the 2nd time, all the road was pure dirt from Canoas up to Venados (near Estacion Ruiz). I really miss that dirt road.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761431

Arte
Cool RR Arte. I saw it a couple of months back.

Yes, it is a little sad to see the roads in the Sierra being paved, but riding the VSTROM on brand new pavement takes me feel better about it.

There is still plenty of dirt in the Sierra. By my count, there are at least a half a dozen off road routes across the Sierra from Southern Chihuahua through Durango to Nayarit and surely a few more that I dont know about.

Paved rodes are shown in green, dirt is shown in white. This route you guys are talking about is the NE oriented line shown in green toward the bottom of the Map.

SR screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 02:20 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #7676
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
the wife's camera....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Could work, I guess, if you cupped it in your hand just right.
Last year on vacation my wife was busy taking pictures as we traveled toward Mahahual, MX. I had warned her not to
take pics at the military checkpoints. She didn't heed my warning and clicked away with her Canon 7D.
We had just went though a checkpoint when we met a Mexican state trooper which in turn stopped at the checkpoint we had left. It was just moments later when I had blue lights in the rear view. I told my wife to hide her Canon in the floorboard which she did. My little point and shoot was on the dash.
Soon we had a trooper on my side with mirrored sunglasses and a trooper on her side with a FAL.
I was all smiles when I rolled down the window on the little Jetta rental. Mirrored sunglasses asked if I could speak Spanish which I replied no. He then started rattling off some brisk Spanish and I kept smiling. I heard words like photoghraphica,,, esposa,,,,trabajo,,,,he asked where my wife worked in broken English,,,,at a bank I told him.
He then asked for our passports, which I handed to him as mine and my esposas. "AHHH you do speak Spanish" mirrored sunglasses exclaimed. I said I knew esposa, taco, burrito, things like that....still smiling.
He looked repeatedly at my little cheap point and shoot on the dash and I guess calculated it wasn't worth much and probably didn't take too good of pictures. He handed back our passports and motioned for us to leave.
I think had he seen the 7D we might have lost it.
The wife doesn't take pics at checkpoints anymore.

terrapinneck screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 10:58 AM
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #7677
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Well, come on down already. You are taking a Ninja right? If you pass by my way feel free to give me a shout. I'll point you down a curvy road.
+1 if you get into the SMA area Larry.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #7678
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
Last year on vacation my wife was busy taking pictures as we traveled toward Mahahual, MX. I had warned her not to
take pics at the military checkpoints. She didn't heed my warning and clicked away with her Canon 7D.
We had just went though a checkpoint when we met a Mexican state trooper which in turn stopped at the checkpoint we had left. It was just moments later when I had blue lights in the rear view. I told my wife to hide her Canon in the floorboard which she did. My little point and shoot was on the dash.
Soon we had a trooper on my side with mirrored sunglasses and a trooper on her side with a FAL.
I was all smiles when I rolled down the window on the little Jetta rental. Mirrored sunglasses asked if I could speak Spanish which I replied no. He then started rattling off some brisk Spanish and I kept smiling. I heard words like photoghraphica,,, esposa,,,,trabajo,,,,he asked where my wife worked in broken English,,,,at a bank I told him.
He then asked for our passports, which I handed to him as mine and my esposas. "AHHH you do speak Spanish" mirrored sunglasses exclaimed. I said I knew esposa, taco, burrito, things like that....still smiling.
He looked repeatedly at my little cheap point and shoot on the dash and I guess calculated it wasn't worth much and probably didn't take too good of pictures. He handed back our passports and motioned for us to leave.
I think had he seen the 7D we might have lost it.
The wife doesn't take pics at checkpoints anymore.

Maybe she'll be more obedient about a lot of stuff in the future.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #7679
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Trailer came loose and hit the bus.

Wire reports say the truck driver fled the scene
He was probably Mexican

Barn find ...found this baby ...Feel like bringing her back to the road
LAVEDRA

Bato screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 11:00 PM