Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #7861
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
This just sounds fishy
Yup.

Anybody waste any time on that website? If you haven't, don't.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #7862
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
This is the view I hold.

Unless and until that message becomes "bring your Gringo ass to Mexico and we'll whack you as soon as you cross the borderline", in my view, and I may be the only one holding it, nothing at all has changed vis a vis the risk of travel in Mexico for the vagabond motorcyclist.
No Trice you are not the only one, myself and that of my sunday riding "gang" are right there with you on that!!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #7863
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
They had an irrational fear that the second they crossed the border they were likely to get shot. They didnt get kidnapped, shot at, nor get robbed at every street corner. They have been back numerous times since then and dont understand what everyone is so afraid of. Living in fear is a very debilitating thing.
I have been through this same thing several times with friends from the upper 49.... & they too don't understand what all the fuss was about!!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #7864
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
With body guards for next trip to Mexico working on logistics
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #7865
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Today

Any way had a great day thanks to the buddys I played with.... and to the GS it was 68F this morning River Road is always fun specially because the bikini colors
Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #7866
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I was out riding all day in western Durango.

{snip}

{snip}
Why is Mexico seemingly incapable of laying out a smooth surface on a bridge? I remember the Pharr bridge was like this, smooth as butter on the US side until you hit the halfway mark and then it was like riding a pogo stick.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #7867
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
They didn't mean for it to be a bridge.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #7868
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Why is Mexico seemingly incapable of laying out a smooth surface on a bridge? I remember the Pharr bridge was like this, smooth as butter on the US side until you hit the halfway mark and then it was like riding a pogo stick.
It's just an illusion if you see closely you wont see it
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #7869
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Debate

Mexico's presidential candidates tv debate as I type and on Galavision at 10pm central lot,s of fun

Bato screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 07:47 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #7870
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Vote for Salma

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #7871
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Poor soil compaction......
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #7872
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
This is the view I hold.

Unless and until that message becomes "bring your Gringo ass to Mexico and we'll whack you as soon as you cross the borderline", in my view, and I may be the only one holding it, nothing at all has changed vis a vis the risk of travel in Mexico for the vagabond motorcyclist.

Absolutely, one can never get used to viewing these abhorrent news reports of hanging bodies and heads in ice chests, but the approach I take is to take is to judge the violence climate in the context of who is whacking who and why.

Others can and do take a different approach and/or might use the Nuevo Laredo incident as a "last straw" marker,....it doesn't matter because each rider's conclusion is right for them and nobody can be faulted for the view they adopt. One side or the other is not "nuts" for applying their personal formula of risk managment to international travel. What would be nuts would be not being comfortable traveling in Mexico and being talked into it.
Yup. That's about it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #7873
Bato
Studly Adventurer

It was a good debate all full of shet

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #7874
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I dont completely agree with that. I have talked a few buddies into riding in Mexico and they were very uncomfortable with it, but after all my prodding and good natured jabs, decided to check their fear and go see for themselves. They had an irrational fear that the second they crossed the border they were likely to get shot. They didnt get kidnapped, shot at, nor get robbed at every street corner. They have been back numerous times since then and dont understand what everyone is so afraid of.

Living in fear is a very debilitating thing.
Radioman and Idahosam are a good example of this. Sam will forever be grateful to Mark for talking him into making their trip together.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #7875
NVBigBlue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Yup.

Anybody waste any time on that website? If you haven't, don't.
Having not much else to do here, I went against your advice and spent some time reading.

I've come away with a couple of observations.

1. A lot of these people could have died from the same thing anywhere in the world.

It is not Mexico's fault that you had a heart attack while swimming in the hotel pool / slipped on wet tile from the shower you just took / drank too much, passed out and smacked your head / got bit by a shark while surfing.

2. The lack of personal responsibility displayed is astounding.

It is not Mexico's fault that you decided to go swimming in the OCEAN and got caught in a rip tide. (blame the moon perhaps?)

Stop relying on everyone else to protect you.

3. Gravity always wins.

Look. It's a simple rule. If you are more than 3 feet above the ground, stay away from ledges. This is especially true if you have been drinking. Yes, I've read that the hotels in Mexico don't build balcony railings to US standards. HEY! Guess what? That's because the hotel is GASP ..... in Mexico.

4. Yes, some loss of life might have been caused by poor maintenance, lack of staff training, etc. But this goes back to #1....

The loss of human life is always sad, but personally, I think a lot of these people would still be alive if they had simply used common sense and/or been more aware of their surroundings and their own abilities.

For the record, I've never been to Mexico (well ok, once when I was like 4 we went to TJ...) but I have no qualms about going, and am planning a trip there when I leave here. And a LOT of my decision to go is based on what I read on this site and the trip reports. .....from the people that have actually put boots on ground so to speak. Yes, some of my friends think I'm nuts for wanting to go south of the border, but they thought I was nuts when I told them I was going to work in Iraq too.

NV