Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,307
SM might have a WR250R by then.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #7937
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
^

All this angst from what happened to you at 2 am in the Zona Rosa in Mexico City? Really?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #7938
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
I will not encourage anyone to venture into ol' Mexico during the current Genocide that is occurring down there. At minimum the United Nations Declaration of Human rights is being ignored.

Not hatin ....just statin.
You flew down there, like what, a month ago to go partying in DF?

Its not like cartel atrocities just started overnight. I'm confused by this public declaration of "keep out of Mexico" in the face of your recent trip there.

You expect the cartels to respect some UN declaration?

We have a local San Antonio guy who took a Motodiscovery tour to Turkey/Iran a few years ago. While he was in Instanbul, he decided to go out after dark and go drinking/partying.

He was set up with a huge bill for drinks he didn't order, and then he was taken by thugs to make the rounds of ATMs to drain his account.

Moral of the story: if you're (I'm speaking generically here) going to go to a foreign country and go to their club district after dark and you're going to drink alcohol, well, and I'll put this gently, you're risk management profile is a lot more ballsy than mine.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #7939
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Truly spectacular scenery . I think i will ride down to the Alps tomorrow then South towards Italy.

.... And if the waiters try to short change u almost everytime , the cooks will probably wipe their booty with the ol flour tortilla especial pour rich yanqui
tourist.

Does Chingale ryhme with mengele ????????

So, is THAT why the tacos always taste better in Mexico?

And the intrepid IMS?ADVRIDERS go forth, into the breach, storming the beaches of Mazatlan, yelling "!TACOS RRRRRRRRICOOOOOS!" as their battle cry.

If given the choice of riding Mexico or the Alps, that would be a tough choice.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #7940
Starkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I am about to head into Mexico in the middle of June. I'll be with my wife, my 4 year old son, and one of my good friends. Were driving from Austin all the way to San Miguel to stay with some of my wifes family for a couple weeks. We have made the trip a few times before but not in the last 4 years. We stick to the toll roads all the way and travel in convoy with some friends making the trip too. Whats the good word on people in country right now? If it were just me and my buds I would not think twice but I have never taken my son before, I know its a risk no matter what I just need some nice clear informed information from the the guys that are in the know.
Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #7941
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Bad week to be a narco but still safe for riding.
Pre-Route riding for this event.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767301

Typical SR Post....
Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...

Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...

Text book example of a resurgent volcanic dome at the edge of a caldera.

Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...
Motorcycle Pic...

Well, at least we're gonna learn something on this here thread.....

Thanks for the science break, SR.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #7942
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Truly spectacular scenery . I think i will ride down to the Alps tomorrow then South towards Italy.

I will not encourage anyone to venture into ol' Mexico during the current Genocide that is occurring down there. At minimum the United Nations Declaration of Human rights is being ignored.

As someone here posted: " wish Spanish was good enough to discuss the upcoming elections with the people there and I'm kicking myself for not just trying anyway because there was much more energy surrounding it that what you see in the states. " A big no no

Nope Not, not even recomended when in or out of one's home turf or hood !!!!! Especially when one is viewed as a rich yanqui from the north . Sure tourism is down and instead of embracicing what tourists they have . Some tourist places gotta make up for the loss by ripping peeps off. And if the waiters try to short change u almost everytime , the cooks will probably wipe their booty with the ol flour tortilla especial pour rich yanqui
tourist.

Italy ? Isn't that where the Mafia is from ?

Hmmmmm..........
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #7943
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkey View Post
I am about to head into Mexico in the middle of June. I'll be with my wife, my 4 year old son, and one of my good friends. Were driving from Austin all the way to San Miguel to stay with some of my wifes family for a couple weeks. We have made the trip a few times before but not in the last 4 years. We stick to the toll roads all the way and travel in convoy with some friends making the trip too. Whats the good word on people in country right now? If it were just me and my buds I would not think twice but I have never taken my son before, I know its a risk no matter what I just need some nice clear informed information from the the guys that are in the know.
You'll be fine; people in Mexico travel with their children all the time just like anywhere else. The biggest risk will be traffic accidents and using the toll roads reduces this factor very much. Have a fun trip!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #7944
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
49 more headless bodies found

49 more headless bodies were found dumped in the mexican city of monterry.43 men and 6 women.this year will easily top last years 10,000 plus murders.seems like a mass murder every week here lately.sad.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #7945
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Miguelito (I believe) and Kiko and SR (for sure) travel back and forth to Mexico and the US all the time with family.

Miguelito lives in SMA. SR lives in Durango. Kiko lives in Ajijic (most of the year). MikeMike lives in Veracruz, although not sure how often he travels to the US.

You might request that they discuss this with you personally by phone if necessary, to ease your concerns.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #7946
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Ditton pretty much what everyone else has said. No travel at night/pre-dawn. Tell the girls to tone down any flashy jewelry (if the're into it), at least during the drive. Cuotas, (rt. 57 to San Diego de la Union/Dolores Hidalgo), are good, although the libres don't seem any more dangerous to me, but that may just be me. My girlfriend and I drive between Austin and SMA regularly, (both alone and together, and sometimes in tandem as we will be at the end of May). We've never had a problem, and more often than not find locals willing to help out, like the time my chain broke and sheared off part of the engine casing outside Nuevo Laredo.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #7947
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
the libres don't seem any more dangerous to me
Same here. Never had an issue cuota or libre, anywhere, anytime.

I'm off either one most often by early evening anyway.

Only exception was late start/late arrival into Catemaco coming back from the Guatemala trip.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #7948
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
SM might have a WR250R by then.
IhopeIhopeIhope.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #7949
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
I am about to head into Mexico in the middle of June. I'll be with my wife, my 4 year old son, and one of my good friends. Were driving from Austin all the way to San Miguel ...
You'll have a great trip.
Got any questions shoot me a pm. (now down the road from Austin, in Wimberley).

Que te vaya bien!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #7950
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:

As someone here posted: " wish Spanish was good enough to discuss the upcoming elections with the people there and I'm kicking myself for not just trying anyway because there was much more energy surrounding it that what you see in the states. " A big no no

Nope Not, not even recomended when in or out of one's home turf or hood !!!!! Especially when one is viewed as a rich yanqui from the north . Sure tourism is down and instead of embracicing what tourists they have . Some tourist places gotta make up for the loss by ripping peeps off. And if the waiters try to short change u almost everytime , the cooks will probably wipe their booty with the ol flour tortilla especial pour rich yanqui
tourist.

I think your level or arrogance, and sticking to gringo areas directly correlates with why waiters short change you; tourist traps are rip offs to begin with. That is why I avoid that shit and try to show locals respect by attempting to speak their language and show interest in their day to day lives.

In all my time spent in Mexico where I was completely alone and vulnerable no one has ever stolen from me, short changed me, nor threatened me, and has always been delighted to tell me about their cities, country, and lives. Even the overworked underpaid infantry at the checkpoints who could on a whim legally ruin your whole life at the drop of a hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
You'll be fine; people in Mexico travel with their children all the time just like anywhere else. The biggest risk will be traffic accidents and using the toll roads reduces this factor very much. Have a fun trip!
+1 I'm far more terrified of traffic accidents or a semi blowing a tire and piling up into me, all those llanteras aren't there for looks.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote