Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #7966
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Sorry for the bit of sarcasm, and the ugly effects of a battle inside me when it comes to all things Mexico. I haven't been fortunate to discover it's enchantment. Maybe someday. But what is happening there is beyond just Sad!
It took some years of traveling México before I began to understand a bit about the culture. So very different from my own that it didn't make much sense for a time. So I get it that many people don't get México.

If you are relying on US tv and newspapers for information about México then you are very poorly informed about what is going on there. But I do share your sadness over the drug war and corruption. As do all the Méxican people.

I find the posts in this thread that are made by repeat México riders, as well as those of most first-timers, to be dead-on accurate about the real México.

Hope you make it down there one day.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #7967
Starkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks for taking the time to give me a heads up tricepilot, SR, miguelito, Kiko, jimmex, and everyone else. We'll be spending some time in San Miguel and Celaya but were staying in the wifes family 'compound' as I call it in the little hillside village of San Antonio El Varal on Cerretera Federal 111 east of SMA. I will make sure to take lots of village life pictures but I hear its changed a lot since I was last in town. The goverment has paved the roads in the village and put in plumbing so they don't have to use the local well anymore. Still pooping in the bushes is what I'm told...
Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #7968
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Cool2

Starkey I bought a large crate of tile in Hildalgo and could use a hand getting it home if you have a cargo truck.

Can you help a brother out?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #7969
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,988
Laugh

Keeps the bushes strong and healthy !
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #7970
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Ace, no offense intended and hopefully none taken.
On a very, very serious note, we all know full well what happens when Canadians come to Mexico. The whole place goes straight to hell in a handcart with things like this happening on a daily basis!
There is no shame north of that 49th parallel border.

The problem with being Canadian, is that I know two of those faces in the picture.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #7971
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
How can a bold guy pick up a 1200gs in Mexico or any other continent

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #7972
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ace, no offense intended and hopefully none taken.
On a very, very serious note, we all know full well what happens when Canadians come to Mexico. The whole place goes straight to hell in a handcart with things like this happening on a daily basis!
There is no shame north of that 49th parallel border.

The problem with being Canadian, is that I know two of those faces in the picture.
Oh, Canada !!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #7973
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Too bad, you have no idea what you are missing.
I didn't say that, basstodave did and aside from his garbled rambles he doesn't prune quotes well either.

Quote:

Oh yeah right , Mexico is safe if you mind your own business, unless of course WHIM????happens!!!!! by the people with big guns and working the LAW. And safe if you don't go out too much at night or too early in the day or drive on secondary roads. But if anything happens the Soul of the people will pour out all around you and you will be saved.
I love this thread!!!! No really, I am horribly confused but find it quite entertaining.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm, and the ugly effects of a battle inside me when it comes to all things Mexico. I haven't been fortunate to discover it's enchantment. Maybe someday. But what is happening there is beyond just Sad!
I travel alone, go out at night, drive at night, eat any and everything you can buy from a shack on the side of the road, and stick to almost all dirt and secondary roads unless time is of the essence and I don't have a choice. No ill effects thus far.

Of course these choices are not the best for those traveling with families or who have people whom rely upon them. I am not one of those people.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:32 PM
VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #7974
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Hey, I just learned that trick last week!
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #7975
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Chingonsisimo! y en el pasto mojado, me siento muy orgulloso de ti mijo!

Kiko screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 04:26 PM Reason: addl text
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #7976
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I didn't say that, basstodave did and aside from his garbled rambles he doesn't prune quotes well either.

I travel alone, go out at night, drive at night, eat any and everything you can buy from a shack on the side of the road, and stick to almost all dirt and secondary roads unless time is of the essence and I don't have a choice. No ill effects thus far.

Of course these choices are not the best for those traveling with families or who have people whom rely upon them. I am not one of those people.

I think MikeMike was replying to just what I said. About my not having enjoyed riding in Mexico. He seemed to think that was a pity. And he is right. I live 60 miles away.

VxZeroKnots. Did you read what I wrote as a personal attack? Lo siento, senor. Garbled rambles. Touche! I thought you were saying that armed LE could irreversibly, permanently, f*&^ you up if they had the notion too (whim), even if unprovoked or you hadn't broken any laws? You see, I get stories like that from the Mexican-American citizens I know that travel back to their birth country and routinely get shook down. But I understand my ignorance from not having first hand experience gained from motorcycle travel in Mexico.

But screw it. I like the pics of canyons and parrots. Very nice.

basstodave screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 05:19 PM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #7977
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Bassto has it right, I was addressing his quote.
C'mon down, Bassto and have yourself some fun. Good food, good riding, damn good drinking. You are going to wish you were 20 years younger and you are going to feel that way after a week or so.
They don't tell you that in the tourist brochures because it doesn't have FDA approval....yet! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #7978
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,496
Had to practice the Bato bike pickup Saturday, Link
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #7979
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
I think MikeMike was replying to just what I said. About my not having enjoyed riding in Mexico. He seemed to think that was a pity. And he is right. I live 60 miles away.

VxZeroKnots. Did you read what I wrote as a personal attack? Lo siento, senor. Garbled rambles. Touche! I thought you were saying that armed LE could irreversibly, permanently, f*&^ you up if they had the notion too (whim), even if unprovoked or you hadn't broken any laws? You see, I get stories like that from the Mexican-American citizens I know that travel back to their birth country and routinely get shook down. But I understand my ignorance from not having first hand experience gained from motorcycle travel in Mexico.

But screw it. I like the pics of canyons and parrots. Very nice.
Nope no personal attack taken, I just couldn't follow your train of thought first time round I apologize if my response was brash, your response cleared up my confusion. The way your quote element wasn't properly enclosed made it look like MikeMike was quoting me, I was just trying to avoid being taken out of context.

As to the LE's I wasn't implying that I had experienced such a thing, just that it could easily be done, has been claimed to have been done and hadn't occurred to me when there was a decent opportunity to do so successfully without repercussions. I think a lot of that from gringos is just perception based.

In the US you probably have either been acting suspicious or are actually up to something to warrant a shake down. In Baja all you have to do is drive down the 1 and you will be asked to step aside from your vehicle and they will go through your things at checkpoints and stops. I feel like a lot of people don't perceive that other countries do things differently, especially ones facing such violence issues, and feel like they are being treated wrongly. When, in fact, it is just standard procedure at checkpoints and stops. The stateside mindset that one's vehicle and personal belongings are an extension of oneself only exacerbates that. Couple that with being able to pay tickets on the side of the road or at the station being unusual in estados unidos and I think a lot of people get the wrong idea.

If inconvenience, discomfort, confusion, and a strong aversion to the suffering of domesticated animals are things which bother you greatly then overland travel through "developing" or "undeveloped" nations is probably not up your ally. I don't think feeling that way is a bad thing, but that is kind of what is to be expected. I don't mean that personally, just in the general sense.

Back to the pretty pictures.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #7980
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Well,
Chango, It is certainly true that France has a beautiful countryside. I have spent many enjoyable times wandering parts of France. However, its just a lot more practical for me and most of the posters here to take a little run down to Mexico. We accept and understand the conditions and the risks inherent in traveling in Mexico. That doesn't necessarily mean we like the risks and conditions. It's just the way it is. For you to sit in France and pontificate on the risks of Mexico would be a bit like me sitting here in Mississippi and commenting on the risks of riding in Afghanistan. Not much credibility there.