User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #7981
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,638
Well,
Chango, It is certainly true that France has a beautiful countryside. I have spent many enjoyable times wandering parts of France. However, its just a lot more practical for me and most of the posters here to take a little run down to Mexico. We accept and understand the conditions and the risks inherent in traveling in Mexico. That doesn't necessarily mean we like the risks and conditions. It's just the way it is. For you to sit in France and pontificate on the risks of Mexico would be a bit like me sitting here in Mississippi and commenting on the risks of riding in Afghanistan. Not much credibility there.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #7982
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
Comparison..... Riding to Auschwitz in 1942 and saying sure is beautiful here. Lets have some tacos and
a drink or two while the bodies bake. I cannot believe peoples here encouraging someone with a family to drive down to ol mexiko, All hell has already broke loose down there ..... it will only get worst . if it do not get ll eat human fecum !!!
You really are quite negative.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #7983
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #7984
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Comparison..... Riding to Auschwitz in 1942 and saying:"sure is beautiful here. Lets have some tacos and a drink or two "while the bodies bake. I cannot believe peoples here encouraging someone with a family to drive down to ol mexiko, ALL HELL has already broke loose down there ..... it will only get worst . if it do not get worst i will eat human fecum !!!

Interesting trying to "compare", (confound?), a barbaric decision, (the Holocaust), by a sovereign Government, (Germany), with Mexican narco-terrorism ala the drug cartels whose existence is largely an outgrowth of the foreign and domestic policies of Mexico's neighbor to the north. It's a bit of a stretch, but I know some people don't think too clearly when they're emotionally involved as you seem to be.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #7985
Texas Aggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Interesting trying to "compare", (confound?), a barbaric decision, (the Holocaust), by a sovereign Government, (Germany), with Mexican narco-terrorism ala the drug cartels whose existence is largely an outgrowth of the foreign and domestic policies of Mexico's neighbor to the north. It's a bit of a stretch, but I know some people don't think too clearly when they're emotionally involved as you seem to be.
Well said.

Keeping the rubber side down........most of the time!
Texas Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #7986
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Comparison..... Riding to Auschwitz in 1942 and saying:"sure is beautiful here. Lets have some tacos and
a drink or two "while the bodies bake. I cannot believe peoples here encouraging someone with a family to drive down to ol mexiko, ALL HELL has already broke loose down there ..... it will only get worst . if it do not get worst i will eat human fecum !!!
Want me to ship you a big bag of it when I get back from my trip in June?
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #7987
Starkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Starkey I bought a large crate of tile in Hildalgo and could use a hand getting it home if you have a cargo truck.

Can you help a brother out?

Hmmm nope, no cargo truck. I could always line my Chevy Cruze with the tiles like a space shuttle .
Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #7988
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkey View Post
I could always line my Chevy Cruze with the tiles like a space shuttle
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #7989
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
Quote:
I cannot believe peoples here encouraging someone with a family to drive down to ol mexiko, ALL HELL has already broke loose down there .....
Two things.
First, all hell broke loose here a very long time ago.
Second, I have a family and I drive in Mexico every single day. How is anyone supposed to get around here?
It isn't like the newspapers say it is.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #7990
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,055

Getting the scuba gear ready for Mexico once again

Into the Blue Two
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #7991
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,306
Danger, Will Robinson!!

This thread is at risk of being renamed, "The WTF - opinion thread".

Leaving in a week to run the mountain roads of Durango, Sinaloa & Nayarit. And enjoy the camaraderie of other riders. And the generosity of a friend in Mazatlan. Penthouse-style.

Think of me what you will, but I have no role in the violence there. Just contributing to the economy of the good people of a country I truly love.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #7992
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Think of me what you will, but I have no role in the violence there. Just contributing to the economy of the good people of a country I truly love.
Well said!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #7993
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
Quote:
. Penthouse-style
Elaboration is a wonderful thing in this case, Schizz. LOL!

As for Mr. Chango, give Mexico a chance, don't let the borderland beat stuff "beat" you down. I can tell you that it is not like you think it is from what you are reading.

I live in a neighborhood that has seen 4 major events: a narco pursuit and shoot out that a guy was lucky to survive. He had the exact same vehicle as mine, year, model, and color, too. Yeah, it caused me to stop and think a little, but what am I going to do? Sell my vehicle because one just like it got shot up? Next, there was a shoot out near the Holiday Inn on the boulevard, missed it by simply having taken an alternate route to work that early morning, something just told me to go another way, I did. The Holiday Inn were patching the bullet holes 3 hours later. Next, 35 bodies were dumped outside a major shopping mall down the road, I missed that because I had a cancellation, if not, I would have seen the whole thing unravel. Glad I didn't. Next, a house got shot up a couple of blocks away.
I was having a siesta and missed that one.
So what am I supposed to do, move?
I still do everything that I have always done here. Sure, I worry about things. But the things I worry about are because I live here. I worry more about extortion and kidnapping than shoot outs. This is reality, the real world as it is right now and more than a few riders have been guests at my house, have used my garage, and have partaken of my hospitality and not one has felt unsafe and most never realized what has happened. I have met up with others for rides and there has never been an issue. They are travelers, and like myself, are not involved with sticking their noses where they don't belong. That is the most dangerous thing you can do, talk to the wrong people, try to play "bad ass", get yourself into situations you can't get out of, etc... I would say about 98% of the people on this thread do none of that and they know better. It is common sense.
I get a little outspoken about this, and also about other items where people say they have been pursued by narcos etc... I know what an AK-47 sounds like and what the big ones sound like on the back of the military vehicles, too.
In addition to what is outlined above, my wife's office received impacts from stray bullets during a narco shootout, and my mother in law's house, too.
What are we going to do? Go out of business? Move my mother in law?
You patch things up and you keep on doing what you do.
None of this makes me an expert on security but it makes me discouraged when I read stuff that keeps people away from enjoying a beautiful country that has a fair measure of very kind and generous people.
The reporters from those websites are not here, only a handful of international reporters have bothered to live here for more than a day or two and really find out what is going on. Speaking of reporters, more reporters have died here recently than in some wars. The newspapers are still in business, including one that was torched.
If you are worried about driving, than fly into a nice area and show your family what Mexico is all about. I don't think you'll be reading much of that "beat" stuff afterwards or paying much attention to it.
Just my 2cents on the whole deal.
Now, back to the penthouse moment of Schizz!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #7994
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Ride on Schizz !!!

Keep the rubber side down and taunt us with tales of Cerveza, Tequila, and chicas !
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #7995
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Leaving also

Quote:
This thread is at risk of being renamed, "The WTF - opinion thread".

Leaving in a week to run the mountain roads of Durango, Sinaloa & Nayarit. And enjoy the camaraderie of other riders. And the generosity of a friend in Mazatlan. Penthouse-style.

I'll be in Mexico tomorrow. No riding, but plenty of beach. Akumal here we come...
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote