Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #8206
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,943
Last bizarre dismemberment and possible cannibal attack in Canada?
Yesterday
Last bizarre disfigurement, dismemberment, and confirmed cannibal attack in the USA (Miami, Florida)?
Saturday, May 26th, 2012
Last bizarre disfigurement, dismemberment, and confirmed cannibal attack in Germany?
March, 2001
Last bizarre dismemberment and confirmed cannibal attack in Mexico?
April, 1989

And people say Mexico is dangerous?
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #8207
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
One exception: Sjoerd- if you need a place to take refuge, you can sneak by my place. Call ahead, and I will let you know if and where la Migra is on patrol.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #8208
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

It's not the La Migra that you have to worry about in the USA, it's the zombies.
"El Pollo Loco" takes on a whole new meaning!

We'll have to get Chango to start posting some videos like Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #8209
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
We'll have to get Chango to start posting some videos like Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #8210
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

People just don't appreciate Phillip Glass, anymore! LOL!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #8211
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188

Mark, I will have Pedro my bodyguard /driver to deflect any attacks that might happen on my way to the frontera of Detroit
( photo courtesy of Old Twowheel)
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #8212
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post

Mark, I will have Pedro my bodyguard /driver to deflect any attacks that might happen on my way to the frontera of Detroit

And here's Pedro with my moto helmet:

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #8213
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Fair and Balanced Reporting

The June 2012 BMW ON magazine contains the following letter to the editor on page 11:

More on Mexico

The "Bandidos in Mexico" are not a myth. We feel a responsibility to write a rebuttal to the February issue of the BMW ON concerning riding in Mexico. Our Mexico trips are always planned with due diligence, specifically to avoid border crossing "hot spots" and Cartel crossfire. But the common bandido is harder to predict.

Our group of riders, all from Texas, are veterans when it comes to the wonderful roads, cities, and ever-delightful people of Mexico. That's why it breaks our hearts to write this, but there are dangers in Mexico. After many years and thousands of miles in Central America and primarily in Mexico, we experienced that danger firsthand on March 27, 2012, just outside the town of El Fuerte.

We have all since returned home safely to tell a chaotic and frightening story. With quick thinking and extreme luck, most of our group was able to avoid actually being stopped at the scene. But shots were fired, one person was stopped and robbed, a bullet went through a windshield, and two more went through a gas tank and one into a tire.

While we can't disregard the violence and economic desperation Cartel activity has created in Mexico, this was, by and large, a failed attempt at highway robbery. Perhaps these bandidos will think twice about ever robbing motorcyclists again, but in reality, and much more likely, they will just use more violent measures on their next victims.

We understand the risks and always maintained awareness while riding in Mexico, but the odds caught up with us, and it's a sobering reality we don't intend to repeat. So take this warning seriously. We never thought it would happen to us either.

Carlos Mateus #138852
Kerrville, Texas
Co-signed by Leroy Braxdale, Priscilla Brosnahan, Rufus Maxfield and Warren Milner (the Canadian)

ENDQUOTE

I was alerted to this letter via Robert K, owner of Lone Star BMW in Austin, via a post he made in a thread on twtex.com

It appeared to me in reading this letter and his comments, that the one rider stopped at the road block and was robbed, and the others ran the road block and were shot at.

I'm sure this story will be factored into the risk managment decision that each rider makes to ride or not ride Mexico and as I've stated before, no one person's decision either way is wrong for them. The individual who comes onto this board and proclaims a posture one way or the other without regard for individual risk management decisions is the individual I have a problem with. Ride to Mexico - fine. Don't ride to Mexico - fine. Everybody looks at risk differently.

I feel the information in this letter is of great value to the Mexico motorcycling community. Please digest it how you will, but if you feel the urge to post about it, please do so responsibly. We don't need a bunch of silly videos posted in conjunction with this. Thanks.

tricepilot screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:08 AM
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #8214
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,561
Good post, Trice. While most of us are raging fans of Mexico, its good to present the balanced truth about what's going on down there. As you said, each person must make their own decision.

It would be interesting, if further details could be given here by any of the travelers involved. With a group involved such as this, there is much more potential corroboration of facts, than some of the 'you'll never guess what happened to me' type of posts.

It is concerning.

What state / routes is El Fuerte near?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #8215
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post

This photo belongs on the home page.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #8216
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
[QUOTE=tricepilot;18802362]The June 2012 BMW ON magazine contains the following letter . . . .

I heard the same story from the owner of the motorcycle museum in Vanderpool, Tx. last week. Apparently he along with his wife and a handful of others were involved in this incident.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #8217
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Apparently he along with his wife and a handful of others were involved in this incident.
That's amazing. I don't think his name is one of those that appears on the sig line of the letter though.

But I'll call him later today to see what he has to say about this.

Edit: The owner of the moto museum in Vanderpool is Allan Johncock. He's an Aussie. That's why they serve those meat pies there.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #8218
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Details?
Of particular interest is how the fake roadblock was positioned, were the motorcyclists "shadowed" from a previous locale (meaning was it a set up that was planned only for them), how many bad guys, vehicles they used.
All of this would be helpful info and maybe our Texas connects can get some more info.
I don't know the story, but maybe it was something along the lines of: secondary road a little off the beaten path but not too far from a town or two, 6-8 individuals, pick up trucks, in the afternoon, with handguns and not AK type weapons?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 AM   #8219
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Good post, Trice. While most of us are raging fans of Mexico, its good to present the balanced truth about what's going on down there. As you said, each person must make their own decision.

It would be interesting, if further details could be given here by any of the travelers involved. With a group involved such as this, there is much more potential corroboration of facts, than some of the 'you'll never guess what happened to me' type of posts.
It is concerning.
What state / routes is El Fuerte near?
+1
EL FUERTE .....old colonial Spanish fort town located in state of SINALOA on the river of same name and on paved state higway from Los Mochis to Choix , also near the route of the Chihuahua al Pacifico railroad and with connecting gravel routes north to ALAMOS. A favouirite part of adventure riders travel plans.

Coincidentally at about the same time as this incident was reported I see now that I was in the same general area in late March2012 . I had ridden from Creel to Alamos and from Alamos I used the newly paved route south and then west to Mex 15 ,then south to Los Mochis etc. . In Alamos I had asked directions and had received the suggestions to this excellent route but they told me to be sure to stick to the paved route as described and not to go southeast on the dirt route through Cerro Colorado to El Fuerte because there were "bad people " there. Evidently there was/is a repeated incidence of banditry there. Glad I took their advice!
On a related similar note , last year while travelling with Old Twowheel we were going to take Mex 134 inland from Mex 15 after a night in Zihuatanejo. At a photo stop 80km into the mountains a tourist couple coming down hill were kind enough to stop and tell us that they ran a bandido stop and avoided getting robbed. We took it as fair warning and turned back to Mex 15.On the way we spoke to a Mexican who did get robbed there by the same bandidos.
In the past I have travellled hat route several times with no incident, although I had heard of such cases there before. on Mex 134 which is running in some pretty , and wild and thinly populated country.
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #8220
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I'm hoping some of those guys are members here and will pipe in on those types of questions.

I'm riding up to Austin today and will stop in at Lone Star to talk to Robert K, to see what else he knows.