Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #8266
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The premise (at least the premise I and many here adhere to) is that ALL travel has risks.....Mexico motorcycle travel has its own unique risks.....It is the personal task of each potential traveler to assess those risks and to decide for himself or herself if those risks are manageable.
This conversation and the post from the BMWMOA magazine are helpful. I've been south twice now, and did have a small incident with a local tough, coming in to town just after sunset (violating a no-no to ride at night). I was with some Mexican riders, and it was managed well. Things happen. Things happen in the States and in the far north too.

As trice said, it comes to personal aversion to risk, and especially risk in a country that is new (to me). To put the risk in perspective, we all ride motorcycles, a dangerous mode of transportation. Riding on some of the big city freeways on a bike has to be more dangerous statistically than the chance encounter with a Mexican thug. There are "rules" to follow, and this thread helps with that a lot.

One item I learned last trip is a Mexican assumption towards motorcyclists is "they are too poor to afford a car." Depending on how flashy your bike is, we from the States are "rich gringos who cannot afford to travel in a car."
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #8267
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
He can't withdraw. If he does he'll have no other audience to read his rediculous drivel.

EXACTLY!
Also I would like to know the following
Why he makes posts on this thread and then quickly deletes them.
Why does he list his location as Nancy, France. This guy lives in SW San Antonio. Kinda stupid because plenty of people on this forum know where he lives. If I am going to pass myself off as living in another country I can assure you it would not be France, home of the frogs and the worlds biggest wimps.
Although he has spent a lot of time in Mexico, he has ridden motorcycles very, very little there. As long as I have known him He has not had a road worthy bike. Hard to tour Mexico on a 1937 BMW or a Ural with a burned up wiring harness.

Chango, give it up dude.... All you are doing now is embarrassing yourself and it is really sad and pathetic to watch...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #8268
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
Going to Mexico this coming week for 5 days or so. I will find out first-hand how safe it is .
Heading to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), never had any problems there.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #8269
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
Going to Mexico this coming week for 5 days or so. I will find out first-hand how safe it is .
Heading to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), never had any problems there.
Prolly safe now that Spring Break is over and the kids are back at ASU.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #8270
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Nice start Schizzman! You can tell it's early in the day because I still have a windshield in this photo! I hear that when big GSs get too much hot tropical sun they sometimes like to lie down and wallow in the dirt for a while to cool down. Is that true?
Actually, it was Gravity Bandits who set up a road block on a steep section of polvo and I "decided" it was best to stop.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 10:14 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #8271
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
. Port Aransas

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tp4i2p
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #8272
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
It was Gravity Bandits who set up a road block on a steep section of polvo and I "decided" it was best to stop.

del polvo vienes y al polvo volverás

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #8273
Howard.epps
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by subcomm View Post
EXACTLY!
Also I would like to know the following
Why he makes posts on this thread and then quickly deletes them.
Why does he list his location as Nancy, France. This guy lives in SW San Antonio. Kinda stupid because plenty of people on this forum know where he lives. If I am going to pass myself off as living in another country I can assure you it would not be France, home of the frogs and the worlds biggest wimps.
Although he has spent a lot of time in Mexico, he has ridden motorcycles very, very little there. As long as I have known him He has not had a road worthy bike. Hard to tour Mexico on a 1937 BMW or a Ural with a burned up wiring harness.

Chango, give it up dude.... All you are doing now is embarrassing yourself and it is really sad and pathetic to watch...
Wow! This figures, just another pretender, wanna be, blow hard. When not on Adv he is probably on dating websites telling women he looks lie a model and is independently wealthy from his computer in his Mommy's basement
Howard.epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #8274
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Actually, it was Gravity Bandits who set up a road block on a steep section of polvo and I "decided" it was best to stop.

SR, good to see they didn't get away with stealing your sense of style. You get a high mark for "degree of difficulty". LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #8275
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Some good discussion here. I really like mikemike's words concerning living in Mexico and having the option to ride Mexico or stay shut up in the house. It's very real for some, and I have been in that situation first hand. I am on the fence with travel in Mexico. My father lives in Mexico and comes and goes with no trouble. He travels frequently in central Mexico and has never had any issues just great experiences. I have never had any issues either in the time I lived in Mexico. Just wonderful experiences. My wife isn't comfortable with my traveling there and so I have stopped going for the time. She wouldn't put her foot down and say no, but she isn't comfortable with the thought, and I am fine finding other places to ride for now.

What it comes down to is just determining for yourself what is right and wrong. What is not right is posting stupid links that don't help anybody make judgement on their own situation concerning travel in Mexico.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #8276
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Oh for the good old days

Oh for the good days when all you had to do was give the head guy at the border $5, the second guy $3 and the old guy watching your ride $1 !! The only thing you had to worry about was a drunk Cop wanting beer money and of course running over a cow at night !!

If you have fear of traveling Mexico, do not go, fear will make you do foolish things.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #8277
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Se olvidaran los caminos....pero no las veredas!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?slreay
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #8278
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Se olvidaran los caminos....pero no las veredas!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?slreay

...but not the sidewalks! ??
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #8279
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

del polvo vienes y al polvo volverás

I am going to have to borrow that one!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #8280
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
SR, good to see they didn't get away with stealing your sense of style. You get a high mark for "degree of difficulty". LOL!

That is certainly a very stylish pose! Unfortunately it is not me. Luckily I did have the wherewithal to take the photo.

In photos the grade of the hill, the amount of pulvo and the ambient air temperature never come through! That photo was taken down in the tropics by an old Silver mining town in Sinaloa called Panuco.

SR screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 06:51 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote