Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #8821
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Yeah mate - I will be there for sure... probably November/December. Will let you know.

Also, as an Aussie, I'm intrigued by the name of your city... in aussie-speak, roo = kangaroo. I'm guessing that's not where the name came from though...
Good time of the year too. It will start cooling off mid-November and the rain will have subsided as well.

I read your question on Baja but unfortunately I do not know the area. Malindi just rode through there a couple of days ago:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796422

He didn't have many good things so say about the area which surprised me. The majority of riders love Baja.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #8822
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Also, as an Aussie, I'm intrigued by the name of your city... in aussie-speak, roo = kangaroo. I'm guessing that's not where the name came from though...
How the Mexican state of Quintana Roo got its name
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #8823
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Yeah. One of those old women in the retirement RV parks along the Rio Grande might hit you with the binoculars they use for bird watching.
The binoculars don't scare me, it's the way they drive! I have grown to not like the winters because I have to have an extra guard up watching out for them so they don't run me over on the bike!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #8824
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
The State is named after the Quintana Family, many of which still live here (one of the many places they own is Xcaret)

Roo is pronounced RO' with an "o", but the U' does slip out by many foreigners now and again (as in" Kangaroo )

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #8825
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Trevor, I would go through Baja to see Baja, but not just to make an end run around any perceived trouble in mainland Mexico.
Yeah, for sure, but is it also a good strategy to enter "mainland" Mexico by ferrying from La Paz and landing at Mazatlan?

View Larger Map
Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #8826
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Yeah, for sure, but is it also a good strategy to enter "mainland" Mexico by ferrying from La Paz and landing at Mazatlan?
Why not.

Just remember to get your TVIP online or at the border because you can ride Baja without it but not the mainland.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #8827
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Thanks Trice (ok if I call you Trice? ) - I've been hanging out here for a while, but I'm in learning mode so not posting much. Learning to love Mexico (and Salma, and now Debby!).

Here's a real question; I've read about people's different ideas on which border crossings to take and how best to handle getting through the more dodgy northern part of the country. It's probably been mentioned and I missed it... but what about going Baja and crossing on the ferry at La Paz? Seems to me that this would be a good way to avoid a lot of the more risky areas?

I don't have a route worked out yet, but since I'll be in CA and visiting a friend in San Diego, the Baja route would seem to make sense.

Trevor
My favorite crossings are Acuna (Del Rio) and Piedras Negras (Eagle Pass). Piedras is probably the easiest because it gets you on a major hwy (Mex 57) and into the interior very quickly. Let me (us) know if you need any assistance. Baja is pretty tranquilo and they are used to gringo motorcyclists throughout the peninsula. Only thing is the heat is killer from May to October. If you do enter through baja it would be very advantageous to be able to travel off the pavement, more fun too. JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #8828
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
since I'll be in CA and visiting a friend in San Diego, the Baja route would seem to make sense.
Go big on Baja then.

Do a search on Baja on ADV and scan a chunk of ride reports.

In other words, don't just use Baja as port of entry, squeeze that lime for all its worth and really do Baja, then the rest of the trip...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #8829
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,432
Quote:

Schizzman and DWJ-Donnie are basically going south through Tamaulipas as a pairing shortly, which is a good idea when riding through Tamaulipas. Don't know for sure but I'm guessing when they split up Schizz is ridng over to Bernal to visit his cousin and then will probably exit Mexico solo via the Grand Funk Railroad and the Colombia Bridge at Nuevo Laredo (very western part of Tamaulipas).

JD, how was my guess?
Good guess. But we're looking to do a zig-zag route through the Sierra Madre Oriental so will enter PN, get papers in Allende and ride 57 libre through that pretty little valley into Saltillo. Remember Jimmex taking us through there?

For dcstrom:

Welcome to IMS! I would definitely ride Baja from SD and take the ferry across. Can't think if a better route from SD than that. Just be sure to read up on the ferries and pay extra for a sleeper berth for the longer routes. Lots of Baja ride reports here cover that.

Have a great trip!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #8830
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
In other words, don't just use Baja as port of entry, squeeze that lime for all its worth and really do Baja, then the rest of the trip...
+1

I was going to post one Baja pic for inspiration, but couldn't pick less than ten...
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #8831
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
+1 on visiting Baja first! Beautiful and relaxing, Baja rocks great food, friendly people, and some pretty nice riding! I really enjoy riding there. So, my advice? Don't do Baja as a way to get around trouble on the mainland. Do Baja for Baja...

Here is an interesting side story...while I was riding around the Lake Tahoe area last weekend with the ever so charming Cindy, four of my friends on a road trip outside of Tecate had an entirely different experience...

Robbed at gunpoint by two guys in an "official" looking Federal Highway Police vehicle. They returned to the Tecate border sans money, personal effects, and clothes... Robbers fortunately didn't take their vehicle, nor was any harm done to anyone, at least physically.

Cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #8832
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
The binoculars don't scare me, it's the way they drive! I have grown to not like the winters because I have to have an extra guard up watching out for them so they don't run me over on the bike!

True. Beware of the blue hairs. They are more dangerous than a dozen Zetas
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #8833
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
True. Beware of the blue hairs. They are more dangerous than a dozen Zetas
True. When the Winter Texans come south, I should go further south.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #8834
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

Bato screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 03:42 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #8835
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Alex Trebek's.......