Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #76
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I would much rather be just about anywhere in Mexico compared to downtown Memphis where I am sitting right now.

That's funny, because we were in Memphis for a month not too long ago. Loved it as a tourist, but wouldn't be interested in living there.

I met several ADVRiders there and they were all good folks, with the exception of one chicken shit that lives there who is afraid to go to Beale Street on Bike Night 'cause he'd have to associate with dem black folks. I guess that being a Keyboard Rambo in CS&M doesn't translate well to the Real World.

But most of Mexico compared to Memphis and New Orleans? All great places, but Mexico is far and away the friendliest.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #77
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
Mexico is an astounding beautiful place where men are truly free and life is real. All the pasty white northerners think its a hell hole and don't come... more than ok with me. keep the fuck out!

I like this guy!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #78
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Don't get me wrong. In my travels to Mex, I have met some of the best, most helpful people ever!
It is just changing a lot when Juarez is now being compared to Somalia or Baghdad. Why deal with that?

Then like the man said ... stay the hell out of Juarez.

Or for that matter, stay the hell away from drugs. 99% of the troubles boil down to drug involvement one way or the other.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #79
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
the violence is not just in Juarez. check it out.

Most of the people that you are talking to live on the border, in Mexico, or have put in more saddle time en Mexico than you have Amigo.

I'd say that we've checked it out first hand.

So trim the pink lace from your panties and use some common sense. The odds of a gringo tourist getting mixed up in anything bad is about like being struck by lightning during the St. Paddy's Day parade.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #80
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

BTW, the Mexican Riviera is not where the bad news is coming from, but riding there without going through the frontera would be tough. YRMV

The Frontera?

Let's put it this-a-way. Girlfriend and I go drinkin' and eatin' about twice a week in the Centro of Reynosa. No one bothers us; quite the opposite.

With the new Anzalduas bridge and border crossing you just barely go into the corner of Reynosa before you hit the bypass and go south towards Victoria and Tampico. No muss, no fuss. Piece of cake.

Yup ... and that's a really tough route, riding down along the coast to the Yucatan. The traffic is tough in parts, but the the people tend to be super nice, and it gets tropical really fast when you get south of Tampico.

You've obviously never done that trip, or you are one nervous individual.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #81
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
John, his mind is made up. If it ain't in the LA Times, he don't wanna hear it, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #82
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63

Those of us, who can travel to other countries and experience different cultures and perspectives are very fortunate. This type of experience cannot be found in any text book...

Signature material there.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #83
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider
John, his mind is made up. If it ain't in the LA Times, he don't wanna hear it, okay?

He needs a pair of these:

Incidentally, this is Nuevo Progreso, a notorious tourist trap. Do you think Grandma there with the white hair is scared?

And this is part of that "frontera" that he warned us about.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #84
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack
Hi Guys,
I{m in Mexico right now in Xilitla SLP,been in mexico for aweek now no problems only good people So far.Only problem has been the rain and cool weather for the last 4 days.Hope it clears up have about a month to play.Going to make aloop to west coast and then back north.Retirement {s great
later Patsy

Be safe Patsy, and don't let those nasty and mean Mexican folks get to ya!

PS -

It's cold and rainy up here on the border and Eduardo is down in the Yucatan and he was telling me that it's cold down there, too. So wish for the best. Maybe things will warm up next week.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #85
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, that whole group looks to be in extreme danger. If only they had read the LA Times and checked the years-old State Dept. travel alert before taking their lives in their own hands with wanton disregard for their own safety!

Quote:
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #86
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I guess that includes me, my family and my friends! Nice meeting you too!

Us gringos know how to treat you Mexicans, since we can't trust you. We make y'all buy the first round, Amigo.

Seriously, the Girlfriend wants to go back to Monterrey. We had a great time the last time that we were there.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #87
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Us gringos know how to treat you Mexicans, since we can't trust you. We make y'all buy the first round, Amigo.

Seriously, the Girlfriend wants to go back to Monterrey. We had a great time the last time that we were there.
My wife believed every single negative thing she ever heard about Mexico until we drove all over Baja for two weeks and spent a total of a month in the Yucatan and Riviera Maya since March '09. Before that she vowed that our kids would never, ever step foot even close to that god-forsaken place and begged me and my bro to stop going down there all the time. Now she wants to move to either La Paz or Playa del Carmen when our commercial lease is up in May '11.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #88
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider
My wife believed every single negative thing she ever heard about Mexico until we drove all over Baja for two weeks and spent a total of a month in the Yucatan and Riviera Maya since March '09. Before that she vowed that our kids would never, ever step foot even close to that god-forsaken place and begged me and my bro to stop going down there all the time. Now she wants to move to either La Paz or Playa del Carmen when our commercial lease is up in May '11.

If you can tell us how to earn an income down there then I want to know about it.

We are working on some things that may sell in Mexico as well as the States, and my girlfriend is dying to visit more, so hopefully I'll have her on the road to Poza Rica sometime this summer. Next year I'd like to fly her to the Yucatan while I take some time riding there.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #89
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,492
My riding buddy and I will be riding down through central Mexico (again) in late April. I expect this trip will be like all the others; warm weather, nice people, good food, and cold beer. However, I hope it doesn't rain this time.

I have yet to be kidnapped, killed, or otherwise bothered in Mexico, or anywhere else. That includes Asia, Europe, the Eastern and Western Caribbean, and damn near all of North America.

Damn ! Lifes boring.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #90
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
You have to admit Gordy that most of the reports are stemming from drug/cartel violence in certain areas along the border. MX is a big country and most of it is no more dangerous than riding in the Midwest.

Says the guy who had his GS stolen in Mexico!

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote