Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #9001
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswash_pilot View Post
A little off topic, sorry ShizzMan, but does anyone know if the highway along the southern mexican coast, particularly from acapulco to puerto escondido, goes through? Or do you have to go north from acapulco to say pueblo, to get to oaxaca? It's a possible route and my maps are, disagreeing.
I don't have an answer, but what maps are you using?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #9002
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswash_pilot View Post
A little off topic, sorry ShizzMan, but does anyone know if the highway along the southern mexican coast, particularly from acapulco to puerto escondido, goes through? Or do you have to go north from acapulco to say pueblo, to get to oaxaca? It's a possible route and my maps are, disagreeing.
I rode from Puerto Escondido to Acapulco the end of Jan this year with no problems, but I understand they subsequently had a hurricane. Acapulco is a blast. Tabares is a riot!
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #9003
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Mark, yep, storm clouds for the country.

Meanwhile, back at El Bar Machero...like all good bars, appearances don't count worth a damn. It's what's inside that counts. Notice the hastily modified "fire exit". This is just for starters, wait until you go inside...

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #9004
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
@ los tres Garcia restaurant Kiko visited with Bato went to friend Virigilio Restaurant he is from Monclova he rides a Harley and riders from Coahuila gather there on Wednesdays nights the guy on the photo on the backgound saw him in Mazatlan riding the same bike

Bato screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 11:50 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #9005
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Bato screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 09:56 AM
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #9006
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I read a quote recently, it went like this, "You can manage the risk, or you can let the risk manage you".
That sums up riding here, in my opinion. If you don't come to Mexico and ride the terrific roads here because you've been listening to some report from some bureaucrat or talking head that has never been here, you won't ever get a table at the Bar Machero. Look close, you'll see bullet holes in the walls, dead narcos scattered all over the place, kidnap victims bound and gagged, scorpions, snakes, corrupt police, satanic narco worshipers, and so many abandoned ADV style bikes because their owners have simply...disappeared!
You can believe that or you can actually walk through to the bar.
You might find out it's ley seca (dry law) for the presidential election and the doors are closed.

The only thing dangerous in Mexico?
Sometimes can't get a drink when you want one!

First, park the bike and do a little window shopping in the old hacienda

Hmmmm, there's a little chain across the doors, guess nobody's home.

But there's a heavy scent of Salma in the air...

Keep on walkin'...

It's just around the corner, cabrones...

A virtual oasis, a paradise, awaits. Beats sitting around having let the risk manage you.

Reach for your wallet, they don't take Visa nor American Express, but you might be able to trade some shiny things for a cubetazo if the waitress is interested. No ferns, no yuppies, no worries, just that heavy scent of Salma...
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #9007
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,579
If they don't take AMEX, I'm not going.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #9008
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Did I mention there is no valet parking?
Just find a spot out near the pile of bleached bones of all those who have tempted fate and dared to ride...Mexico!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #9009
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I read a quote recently, it went like this, "You can manage the risk, or you can let the risk manage you".
That sums up riding here, in my opinion. If you don't come to Mexico and ride the terrific roads here because you've been listening to some report from some bureaucrat or talking head that has never been here, you won't ever get a table at the Bar Machero. Look close, you'll see bullet holes in the walls, dead narcos scattered all over the place, kidnap victims bound and gagged, scorpions, snakes, corrupt police, satanic narco worshipers, and so many abandoned ADV style bikes because their owners have simply...disappeared!
Let's be honest here...most self-respecting narco's wouldn't want us!

Narco: "Mrs Smith? We have your husband"
Mrs Smith "Oh no!"
Narco "We'll give you $50 if you'll take him back, he won't stop muttering about final drives"
Mrs Smith "Could we make that $500?"
Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #9010
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Wicked Trip into Mexico

After many years, I again rode a bike in Mexico!! I had a great time. I do believe it is more fun speaking very limited Spanish. The people seem to enjoy trying to communicate with you.
One of the highlights was when I took a street kid who is staying at the mission in CD Victoria to get Ice Cream. He just about made himself sick trying to eat the entire ice cream shop.
My thought was this kid is going to throw up on me on the way back.
Sorry, did not meet any bad guys..I guess!! Everywhere I stopped all the people wanted to do was see my bike. No, I did not tell them it did not run 280 kilometers as shown.
Finally ran the mountains South of Victoria. But, did not make it all the way to Veracruz as hoped.
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #9011
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #9012
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Off topic humor

Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #9013
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I'm in Belize City and am bored at the hotel, already miss Mexico! We asked the security guard at our hotel, which has a walk-through metal detector, if there's a corner store where we can get water. He said everything closes at 9pm because of the curfew. This was the first I heard of a curfew, I'd use a shrug smiley if I could find it. Anyway, in two months all over Mexico I never felt scared or threatened, and in one day in Belize I've already high-tailed it to the resort hotel. Also, about 10 minutes past the border my riding partner got knocked off his bike by a truck, luckily at 5 mph and he's fine.

Is Mexico safe? Hell yeah it is.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #9014
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Belize City

When I went to Belize on a fishing trip a couple of years back I was thinking of going early or staying later to check out Belize City, my friends who know Belize said don't even think about it... very dangerous... lots o bad guys... just get on connecting flight and head for Ambergris Cay... sounds about right.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #9015
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
El Morillo. Hey! Did I make that place famous or what? My favorite place to stay in Saltillo.

You should try Parras de La Fuente if you have the time. It's only about 100 miles to the west. Or is it 100 km? The hotel to stay there is El Farol. Check out the Casa Madero vineyards. First vineyards in the new world started by Jesuit monks. Also the town where The Wild Bunch was filmed.
Yes, you did!

Toured Casa Madero in May on our return from Maz. It was raining so we didn't look around the town much.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote