Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #9016
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Heard there is a permanent soldiers check Point after Monclova going south and that it takes an hour and half to get thru
Did you took that route?
Yes. Checkpoint was for northbound only and looked like 15-20 minutes max.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #9017
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Schizz. I don't know which way you are coming to Galeana. When the nephews and I went to Galeana we went to Rayones from Montemorelos by a pretty incredible twisty road , no traffic, just miles and miles of hoot and holler desolate fun. And then rode south to Galeana. IIRC that last section was a Class 1 dirt road. Y'all have big fun wherever you go.
I'll save that for a long weekend ride. Decided to concentrate on finding the route south from Dr. Arroyo to Hwy 80. Including a bit of backtracking that took all day from Saltillo - Cd. Maiz. Maybe 44-50 miles of grava suelte, puddles and all-around good fun.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #9018
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post
I'm in Belize City and am bored at the hotel, already miss Mexico! We asked the security guard at our hotel, which has a walk-through metal detector, if there's a corner store where we can get water. He said everything closes at 9pm because of the curfew. This was the first I heard of a curfew, I'd use a shrug smiley if I could find it. Anyway, in two months all over Mexico I never felt scared or threatened, and in one day in Belize I've already high-tailed it to the resort hotel. Also, about 10 minutes past the border my riding partner got knocked off his bike by a truck, luckily at 5 mph and he's fine.

Is Mexico safe? Hell yeah it is.
Belize is far more dangerous than Mexico.

jimmex screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 05:50 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #9019
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
How does Belize compare to Guatemala and Honduras? I've noticed Honduras has a few defenders in this thread.
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #9020
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post

The English really know how to screw up a country.

Wherever the British colonized, chaos and lawlessness follow.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #9021
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Now that's going to wake up Crane Guy. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #9022
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
The English really know how to screw up a country.

Wherever the British colonized, chaos and lawlessness follow
I couldn't agree more. Just look at the USA!

Since this is your independence day, I would like to point out that we are celebrating it too. There's no way we could afford you if you were still ours!

No hard feelings Mark. We look upon you as a parent would with an unruly child. Eventually you'll all calm down and start behaving yourselves.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #9023
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now that's going to wake up Crane Guy. LOL!
It'll take more than that. I'm really embracing this siesta business. My goal is to stretch it across all my waking hours.

Manana? Si, Manana!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #9024
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

A noble pursuit! And yes, you can stretch the siesta, but you'll prowl at night.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #9025
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Happy 4th to all
So where is Shizz and his squad today?
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #9026
gswash_pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post
I don't have an answer, but what maps are you using?
I'm primarily using ITMB maps now, both country and region specific, but they clash with online maps I've also consulted, of course, jaja. What type are you relying on? Also, best of luck in belize .

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I rode from Puerto Escondido to Acapulco the end of Jan this year with no problems, but I understand they subsequently had a hurricane. Acapulco is a blast. Tabares is a riot!
BEAUTIFUL! Was that on the 200 Road winding along the coastline?
gswash_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #9027
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
A noble pursuit! And yes, you can stretch the siesta, but you'll prowl at night.
Exactly! heh heh heh
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #9028
einnocent
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswash_pilot View Post
I'm primarily using ITMB maps now, both country and region specific, but they clash with online maps I've also consulted, of course, jaja. What type are you relying on? Also, best of luck in belize .
We are using the same maps and they have been fine, though we've mostly done main roads. It's a best practice to use the maps for general route planning and then ask about the locals about upcoming sections just before you do them. I can't think of a time when Google Maps was wrong, but usually the ITMB would win a dispute. You're doing a road bike, right? In that case you don't need to worry too much about the accuracy of anything below the thin red line on those maps -- that's the lowest level of paved, if I remember rightly.

I write this from Caye Caulker, which is the least likely place from which I've yet to use wifi.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #9029
einnocent
Adventurer

Today's ProTip: Use the Bristol Stool Scale to talk discreetly about the nature of your poops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale

Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #9030
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

That chart is likely to become one of the most valuable pieces of information provided on this thread, ever.

It clearly provides the information and know how to express the combination type event that can happen very often here.

For example, if you are eating birria de chivo, some barbacoa, and some frijoles charros on the side, maybe some barbecued goat cheese with jalapenos and fresh onions for lunch and wash it down with ice cold El Indio, you have to remember your breakfast of huevos with longoniza sausage with fresh tortillas and hot sauce with a liter of fresh mountain coffee, and your plans for a light supper of mango, bananas, and two rum and cokes. The combo result will now be known succinctly as a "two four seven" which you can simply refer to as a "24/7" in conversation and your listeners will sagely nod with that "in the know and part of the secret society" look that is so rewarding. If you follow that with a "three six five" as in "24/7 365" and maybe a well placed grunt or two and a grimace, you might find that your friends might frown a little and suddenly have something to do.

The Mexican people are just going to get bored and mutter "pinche gringo cagon" and be on their way.

Remember the golden rule, "goat products give you body, fruit gives you texture, but it's the avocado that gives you color!" LOL!