Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #9031
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
That chart is likely to become one of the most valuable pieces of information provided on this thread, ever.

It clearly provides the information and know how to express the combination type event that can happen very often here.

For example, if you are eating birria de chivo, some barbacoa, and some frijoles charros on the side, maybe some barbecued goat cheese with jalapenos and fresh onions for lunch and wash it down with ice cold El Indio, you have to remember your breakfast of huevos with longoniza sausage with fresh tortillas and hot sauce with a liter of fresh mountain coffee, and your plans for a light supper of mango, bananas, and two rum and cokes. The combo result will now be known succinctly as a "two four seven" which you can simply refer to as a "24/7" in conversation and your listeners will sagely nod with that "in the know and part of the secret society" look that is so rewarding. If you follow that with a "three six five" as in "24/7 365" and maybe a well placed grunt or two and a grimace, you might find that your friends might frown a little and suddenly have something to do.

The Mexican people are just going to get bored and mutter "pinche gringo cagon" and be on their way.

Remember the golden rule, "goat products give you body, fruit gives you texture, but it's the avocado that gives you color!" LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #9032
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post
How does Belize compare to Guatemala and Honduras? I've noticed Honduras has a few defenders in this thread.
I travel to Honduras for work and when we go to Tegulcigalpa, someone from the US Embassy has to pick us up and take us to the hotel. Now, San Pedro Sula is a different story. I walked around there without feeling in danger at all. There were a lot of police walking the streets and security guards in many stores and banks, but never saw any trouble makers. I didn't walk around at night though.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #9033
Gringa Hondureña
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I guess you don't read the newspapers while you're here-even the Tegucigalpa natives will tell you things are a bit worse in San Pedro Sula. I've been living in Honduras for 6 years, the last 5 in Tegucigalpa and my only means of transportation is the Honda Falcon I bought used in Roatan the year I arrived in Honduras. I have never had any problems on the road-other than the the daily chaos-although I usually park the bike by 9 and if I have plans to stay out later, and plan on a taxi. I'd offer to pick you up at the airport and give you a ride around town next time you visit, but I plan to be heading north-as in Reynosa- this Monday.
Gringa Hondureña is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #9034
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringa Hondureña View Post
I guess you don't read the newspapers while you're here-even the Tegucigalpa natives will tell you things are a bit worse in San Pedro Sula. I've been living in Honduras for 6 years, the last 5 in Tegucigalpa and my only means of transportation is the Honda Falcon I bought used in Roatan the year I arrived in Honduras. I have never had any problems on the road-other than the the daily chaos-although I usually park the bike by 9 and if I have plans to stay out later, and plan on a taxi. I'd offer to pick you up at the airport and give you a ride around town next time you visit, but I plan to be heading north-as in Reynosa- this Monday.
Thanks for the offer. I plan to be back down there in a month or two. I really wish we flew into San Pedro because I'd like to visit the ruins. I only stayed there that on time because the airport in Tegulcigalpa was closed after the plane slid off the runway. Please PM me with any great places i can visit in Tegulcigalpa by taxi.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #9035
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringa Hondureña View Post
We will be in Honduras in 2 or 3 weeks, and because my friend did Peace Corps there for two years, he should be more than enough of a guide. It looks like that invite wasn't directed toward us, but if you'd like to have a beer, we'd be more than happy to visit a fellow ADVRider
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #9036
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
That chart is likely to become one of the most valuable pieces of information provided on this thread, ever.

It clearly provides the information and know how to express the combination type event that can happen very often here.

For example, if you are eating birria de chivo, some barbacoa, and some frijoles charros on the side, maybe some barbecued goat cheese with jalapenos and fresh onions for lunch and wash it down with ice cold El Indio, you have to remember your breakfast of huevos with longoniza sausage with fresh tortillas and hot sauce with a liter of fresh mountain coffee, and your plans for a light supper of mango, bananas, and two rum and cokes. The combo result will now be known succinctly as a "two four seven" which you can simply refer to as a "24/7" in conversation and your listeners will sagely nod with that "in the know and part of the secret society" look that is so rewarding. If you follow that with a "three six five" as in "24/7 365" and maybe a well placed grunt or two and a grimace, you might find that your friends might frown a little and suddenly have something to do.

The Mexican people are just going to get bored and mutter "pinche gringo cagon" and be on their way.

Remember the golden rule, "goat products give you body, fruit gives you texture, but it's the avocado that gives you color!" LOL!

That was an eight.
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #9037
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswash_pilot View Post
I'm primarily using ITMB maps now, both country and region specific, but they clash with online maps I've also consulted, of course, jaja. What type are you relying on? Also, best of luck in belize .

BEAUTIFUL! Was that on the 200 Road winding along the coastline?
It was on on 200. Good road, not much winding unfortunately. You can make good time. Enjoy ACA and PE and points beyond.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #9038
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post

That was an eight.
More avocado? Or more cowbell? LOL!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #9039
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,009
Here's to a type 4 day.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #9040
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! And the same to you!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #9041
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Is Belize City safe?...safe enough if you behave and don't go walking about in the
Tough looking areas west of the shopping district late at night.do the exploring ride around town
in daylight. Have never had a problem there even this year while staying at guest houses like North Front Street and Seabreeze, the latter is close to US embassy, and other hotels along the north end entry highway. It all comes down to common sense here and all over Central American countries.
San Salvador,Guate City,Tegucigalpa and other capital
cities are just like US big cities....there are street crime problems and muggings do occur but if you develop your sense of observation you can get the
Picture of what tough areas look like and avoid them after dark or when doing bar tours which label you as prime target for many reasons
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #9042
troutshack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Belize City is one of the few places I've traveled to that I didn't like at all. It was a matter of hours before I headed out to Chetumal, MX. I wasn't the victim of a crime but I did witness a small scale riot over seats on a chicken buss. Later I was told that Sept was a slow tourism month and tension on the streets dramatically increased when tourism was slow. The good news is you are close to Mexico and Guatemala, two of my favorite places.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723650
troutshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #9043
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Happy 4th to all
So where is Shizz and his squad today?
Who are you calling a squad?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #9044
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Hey, I need some help! JD pointed out to me that I had been spelling his name incorrectly on the Ride Report. I was spelling it ShizzMan, he told me that it was supposed to be spelled SchizzMan. I am not for sure! Which way do y'all think I should spell it? A Vote might be in order!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #9045
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
It all comes down to common sense here and all over Central American countries. San Salvador,Guate City,Tegucigalpa and other capital cities are just like US big cities....there are street crime problems and muggings do occur but if you develop your sense of observation you can get the picture of what tough areas look like and avoid them after dark or when doing bar tours which label you as prime target for many reasons
Says the Canadian!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote