Originally Posted by Bato View Post

@SMA muy tranquilo
Name of hotel ?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #9257
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Where to cross?

For those of you that have crossed the border lately, where's the safest/fastest/easiest (Mexico to US) crossing happening?

I haven't been in the border area since 2010 and I used to always cross at Nuevo Laredo/Laredo, but I'm not sure if that's as safe as it used to be.

I'm thinking about heading north in a couple of weeks, probably to Dallas and Tennessee and will be alone most likely (anybody heading that direction mid August?)

I'm on a Mexican bike, so no TVIP concerns.

Thanks!
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #9258
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
P.Negras or Acuna. Then you can ride hill country on way to Dallas.

jimmex screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 07:05 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #9259
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
P.Negras or Acuna. Then you can ride hill country on way to Dallas.
Probably a good idea
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #9260
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Name of hotel ?
POSADA CORAZON yeasterdy as I was comeing in 2 MTY ran into this Mexico Bmw riders group that were comenig back from New Orleans and Missouri to Mexico city turn out that I had meet theM in Durango last year At the convention askeD if i could join formation; 10 ON BOTH LANESCAPITAN RESPONSE positive, form Saltilo to SMA thEy doing 110mph got to keep up the 650 With the TCK 80 on front dances a little bit OVER 110 no problem just mantain the rtythm .
talked at DF with Adriana .... meet with compadre here in SMA ALL IS GOO SO FAR WANTED TO SHARE HERE

ALL IS GOOD NO FEAR IM RELAYING ON YOU my creator
SALUDOS

The compadre composer:

Left half of the load at sis in Saltillo where I spend the night had too much stuff that i dont need ...there are pillows and pemex stations everywhere

Bato screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 07:33 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #9261
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Bato I am up for meeting up for a cheve any time. The weekends are always better for me to take off for a ride. Next weekend would be great. Hope to see you soon.
Aiming at Thursday to be arriving in Durango if all goes well
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #9262
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Go Bato Go!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #9263
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pax maac View Post
For those of you that have crossed the border lately, where's the safest/fastest/easiest (Mexico to US) crossing happening?

I haven't been in the border area since 2010 and I used to always cross at Nuevo Laredo/Laredo, but I'm not sure if that's as safe as it used to be.

I'm thinking about heading north in a couple of weeks, probably to Dallas and Tennessee and will be alone most likely (anybody heading that direction mid August?)

I'm on a Mexican bike, so no TVIP concerns.

Thanks!

I cross at #1 in Nuevo Laredo pretty regularly and never have any trouble. That crossing is seldom backed up, and you can quickly catch the Interstate and buzz to San Antonio if you want to get there quickly.

Frankly I don't think that you'd have a bit of trouble if you stay on the main roads during daylight. And I've been out in downtown Nuevo Laredo at night and it's surprisingly vibrant down there around the old Centro.

So I just wouldn't worry.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #9264
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Mucho bueno

Bato screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 09:08 AM
Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #9265
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
doing 110mph got to keep up the 650 With the TCK 80 on front...IM RELAYING ON YOU my creator
180kmh with a TKC on the front...this "orale" is for you. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #9266
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
+1 Laredo doesn't have the best reputation but there is a massive amount of traffic crossing there, probably in the order of tens of thousands of vehicles every day. If you just stick to the main roads and do it all in daytime you will be fine.

Is it #2 that connects directly to the Interstate? That one can back up although I have had bus drivers tell me that no one expects a motorcycle to sit in line and that I could ride ahead.

What is the collective wisdom on the Laredo to Monterrey toll road these days? Safe as a house?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #9267
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,698
I Got Rear Ended In a recent Trip To Mexico And Need Some help/Advise on Repairs

I have this posted in my RR as well as GSpot.

When I was rear ended in Ciudad Valles it broke the locking mechanism that secures to the right bag to the rail on the moto. Here is the broken latch.

Here is the left latch, that is fine.

Where can I get the latch only and how do you replaced it?

The right footpeg assemly broke off and was lost. Anyone have one for sale?

The latches broke on the trunk lid. How can I fix or repair this? I am not too concerned with how it looks, after all I am a KLR owner! This moto is now only used as a beast of burden in Mexico and Canada, I just need to be able to fasten it properly. Yes, I should have had a Rok Strap on it before it broke!

The first issue is that I may not have enough rear tire to make it home when I can go home. Anyone in the Dallas area know where I can get a 150/70-17 rear tire without paying a ridiculous price, plus where I could get it mounted? Or better yet the use of a tire changer if someone has one? My preference is the Heidenau K60 Scout, followed by the Shinko 705 Radial followed by the Standard Tourance, not the EXP. Or if someone has a take-off with a 1,000 miles or so left on it, that would work as well.

I took some pictures, here is my rear tire:

Maybe someone has pre-bought some tires they don't need yet and would be willing to sell me one and replace it before they need it.

dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #9268
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Hey Donnie! You think your bike has problems. Look at what happened down the road here.
Someone stole the church bells.
Roban las campanas a la iglesia de la Virgen de Guadalupe!

29 Julio, 2012 05:40:00

Por JUAN CARLOS JIMENEZ

Habitantes de la comunidad de Lerdo de Tejada de dicho municipio acudieron ante el Ministerio Público del municipio de Atzalan, para realizar formalmente una denuncia en contra de quien resulte responsable por el delito de robo en agravio de una iglesia.

Dicha situación fue asentada en la investigación ministerial 89/2012 de fecha 26 de julio, acudiendo el señor Víctor Estaban Francisco, presidente del patronato de la iglesia de la Virgen de Guadalupe.

Esta persona menciono que a él le avisaron que tenía que acudir rápidamente a la iglesia debido a que se habían robado las campanas de bronce que fueron compradas y donadas a la iglesia en el año de 1935, las cuales tiene un peso aproximado de 325 kilogramos y un valor aproximado de 80 mil pesos.

Cabe destacar que esta no es la única ocasión que se ya van otras dos en donde se han robado el equipo de sonido y las alcancías donde es depositada la limosna, pero esta ocasión ha sido el robo más grande que han cometido contra la iglesia.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #9269
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The classic trade off between liberties and security. Every nation including the USA has had to go through those shifts.

I was watching something where they were interviewing folks in Panama and it was interesting to see how many people, especially among the poor, thought that they were better off under Noriega than after. Appearently Noreiga wasn't big on free speech but had a massive police force.
Good insights, PJ.

I view PAN as the party promising economic opportunity with PRI promising economic security. With the economic downturn and drug war fatigue it's understandable that people are turning back to PRI at this time. The two main affects I'm watching for are drug war violence and middle class growth rate.
I expect PRI to reduce both.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #9270
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Thanks for taking us along for the ride Bato!