Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #9346
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,985
I had one hit me on top of my head outside Taxco a few years back. The guy with the 12 ga. pointed for me to stop right under it and waited for it to smack me. Then laughed. I was pissed until my girlfriend started laughing too, then it was funny. It did hurt though. Only in Mexico.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #9347
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
wonder what happens if you're not paying attention and crash right through one of those gates
LOL!

Are you going to be coming south, Bob, or are you going to stick around Labrador and club some seals? LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #9348
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
LOL!

Are you going to be coming south, Bob, or are you going to stick around Labrador and club some seals? LOL!
Yah I'm coming south, I'll try not to take out any more toll gates. What size seal boots do you wear? Presently waiting to hear from Julio so I can ride with him for a few days in central BC
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #9349
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Get him to cook for you, it looks like he and the missus Luisa are having a great time in Alaska!

Thank you for the kind offer of seal boots for me to wear here in the tropics, never let it be said that Bob Loblaw doesn't look out for his fellow riders. LOL! Reminds me of my buddy Phil, a fellow Canuck that has a pair of Lange hockey skates hanging in his garage as a conversation piece. Personally, I use my hockey pucks to save the tiles in the garage from the bike's sidestand and to cover the odd drain or two. Damn roaches here can almost lift them!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #9350
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #9351
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,792
Taking off for Honduras (literally) in about 3 hours

Y'all be good while I'm gone
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #9352
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Have a great trip!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #9353
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Don't forget to pack that little ADV sign LOL!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #9354
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 793
Helmet Cam stop

If you have a helmet cam, even a broken one, keep it mounted and ready to show itself at any police stop. When I was through Honduras last year, it had the effect of putting them on their best behavior.
It was the first traffic stop ever in my life, where the first thing all three officers did was to stick their hands out to greet and welcome us.
This is NOT what they stopped us to do...Trust me.

Last thing they want is to be on Youtube in an hour taking bribes.

Never saw anything like it.

Enjoy the trip!
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #9355
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo View Post
If you have a helmet cam, even a broken one, keep it mounted and ready to show itself at any police stop. When I was through Honduras last year, it had the effect of putting them on their best behavior.
It was the first traffic stop ever in my life, where the first thing all three officers did was to stick their hands out to greet and welcome us.
This is NOT what they stopped us to do...Trust me.

Last thing they want is to be on Youtube in an hour taking bribes.

Never saw anything like it.

Enjoy the trip!
Just bought a helmet cam today, never even thought about it being a corruption deterrent though. Cool.

As for the handshakes, every time I've been pulled over in Mexico over the last 12 years I've always been greeted with a smile and a handshake, even without a helmet cam. Then they would proceed to shake me down, still smiling. Fuckers. Actually I've never been stopped on my bike, only in cars.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #9356
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The helmet cam thing keeps coming up here.
First, don't think that you can use it when you encounter a mandatory military stop.
Second, the cops here are getting more and more wise to cel phone cameras and helmet cameras and such. They can also get really po'd at you for taping them, just like in the USA.
Third, don't be surprised if they threaten to confiscate it, which they can do if you piss them off.
Fourth, learn to deal with cops without having to rely on a camera or thinking it is some panacea for dealing with corruption.

The handshake thing is really good advice.
The best advice is, remember where you are, if you have broken the law you deserve what's coming, if you have not broken the law and you speak enough Spanish, hold your ground. If you have not broken the law and you don't speak Spanish, they will get tired of you sooner or later.

As far as cameras go, anyone who has been living in Mexico probably remembers the case of a Mexico City official, Bejarano, being taped stuffing his briefcase, his jacket, his socks, his underwear with cold hard cash. That film was broadcast for days here. Same for the footage of the teachers in the latest documentary about the Mexican education system. None of those videos have resulted in very much happening. LOL!

Don't overrate yourself in importance, what do you think is going to happen? Will the cop actually lose his job? Or be re-hired and promoted immediately following your big YouTube expose? Do you seriously believe that a really corrupt cop will give a damn if some gringo is taping him taking money from you? LOL!

These guys are taking money from anyone because they can. It is not very complicated. They try to extract money from you and pay it up the ladder and food chain like any mafia does. And you have to ask yourself if you really have the time, the patience, the energy, the wits, and the ability to actually force any sort of change to happen with your video exercise. Are you going to send it to the US Embassy? Do you know how much of a priority they'll put on someone having an encounter with a corrupt cop? LOL!

Bottom line, if you broke the law, deal with the consequences. If you didn't, accept the interruption to your plans and trip and protest your innocence and follow it through. Unless you live in the area, you probably won't accept the delay that will ensue and you'll pay what they want, if the cop is prepared to out wait you and it will be a...wait for it..."Mexican standoff"...it is called that for a reason. If you are local, you know the score and you will only push the point if you know you can win depending on the current policing situation.

Here in Veracruz, the state government is insisting that any ticketing done by transito police is done under the supervision of the Mexican military who are also the local police force. This will run through the vacation period and you can still insist the military come to where you are and witness the ticketing but you better be prepared for the consequences of dealing with them if you have broken the law. And you won't be taping any of that. LOL!

Some people on here have ridden with me here and see me blatantly break laws, more than once. Why do I do it? Well, a few weeks back when traffic was fully stopped on the #180 and backed up for many kilometers in both directions, we rode in the wrong lane until we reached the accident site. There was a young Federale de Caminos officer in charge of the accident site and he simply told us to be patient while they turned the tow truck around and he would let us go past and be on our merry way. This is normal, bikes are expected to move through traffic and do things that cars can't. Nobody usually will give a damn. Same for when some of us rode through the barriers and on the packed and prepped surface for paving in the second lane coming down through Maltrata. In both cases, the most you will get is a finger waved at you and a terse lecture if the cop thinks you were doing something that was out of your capacity to handle it and if you purposely endangered someone or caused a headache for him. It's part of the ebb and flow of the way things are here. You can usually get away with things, but the trade off is that sometimes you have to deal with the corrupt elements. You either sit and traffic and overheat or accept the way things are.

MikeMike screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 09:20 AM
Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #9357
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

LOL!

Good times, Mike!

Should also be noted that some Mexico Ride Reports include accounts of riders being helped by police
in ways unheard of in the USA, such as siphoning gas from a police car to a bike or hauling a bike to the next town in a police pickup.

But the liberties we enjoy while riding Mexico are never more apparent than in that moment when we cross the border into the USA and suddenly realize the immediate reduction in fun factor. That's getting harder to take.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 09:43 AM
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #9358
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Schizz, we're sunk, doomed, finished, and frito! The Mystery Rider has the footage! LOL!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #9359
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Stick a tenador in me, eh?

Let's see the vid.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #9360
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 793
Mexican Standoff

Uh Mike, it's me, Danny... Only wish that phone conversation in Veracruz resulted in a Face to face.

I was referring to my personal experience in HONDURAS only, which was an UN- warranted stop by local cops. Honduras is probably the most difficult of all CA countries to get through without a "Mexican Standoff".
I wasn't wearing the camera but it was on my ride buddy who just happened to be a retired California cop. He was as surprised as I was that nothing happened but a few back slaps and high fives. Obviously a camera may not do anything in some of the scenarios you list. It's sure not a big deal and is passively sitting there where it always was anyway, just taking in the sites. :)

Just adding data points. Your counterpoints are valid and very welcome too.
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote