Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #9616
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hi!

As the title suggest, I need a cheap air-conditioned hotel in Piedras Negras for this coming week end. My standards are not very high , but I do need air-conditioned and secure parking for my motorcycle. Thanks!

Donnie
Been a while since I've been in Piedras, but I used to stay at Hotel California on Emilio Carranza. A good restaurant is Asadero Grill. Carranza is at the intersection where you turn R on 57 (AKA Lazaro Cardenas) to head out to Allende for your visa. There is a Pemex at the intersection 57/Carranza, instead of turning R on 57 to head out of town, you turn L on Carranza and go a few blocks, you'll see Hotel California on your Left. The Asadero Grill is a good restaurant that is directly across from the Pemex on Carranza. Been 6 yrs since I've been thru Piedras so you may want to check up if this info is current.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #9617
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=SchizzMan;19455109]This has saved my ribs on occasion:

Thanks Schizz

Quote:
Hi!

As the title suggest, I need a cheap air-conditioned hotel in Piedras Negras for this coming week end. My standards are not very high , but I do need air-conditioned and secure parking for my motorcycle. Thanks!

Donnie
Yea I lived in hotel 57 for a year or so back in the 80's when the Termoelectrica was been build very decent this days appear to be around 30 bucks recommend their resturant where local politicians gather here is a list
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #9618
BMWORBUST
Banned

Oddometer: 499
Mexico? I would be worried about going to the states. Here the murders for 2009 based upon census data.

Mexico 2009 Murders 12,400
States 2009 Murders 15,241

I live in Canada and avoid travelling to the states due to the crime. Mexico is much safer than the usa.
BMWORBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #9619
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Been a while since I've been in Piedras, but I used to stay at Hotel California on Emilio Carranza. A good restaurant is Asadero Grill. Carranza is at the intersection where you turn R on 57 (AKA Lazaro Cardenas) to head out to Allende for your visa. There is a Pemex at the intersection 57/Carranza, instead of turning R on 57 to head out of town, you turn L on Carranza and go a few blocks, you'll see Hotel California on your Left. The Asadero Grill is a good restaurant that is directly across from the Pemex on Carranza. Been 6 yrs since I've been thru Piedras so you may want to check up if this info is current.
[QUOTE=Bato;19459632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
This has saved my ribs on occasion:

Thanks Schizz

Yea I lived in hotel 57 for a year or so back in the 80's when the Termoelectrica was been build very decent this days appear to be around 30 bucks recommend their resturant where local politicians gather here is a list
Thanks, is Hotel California and Hotel 57 the same hotel?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #9620
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
If you stay inside your home it's even safer, just ensure you don’t take a shower, they are deadly.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #9621
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Hey guys,

Just want to check in here. I just did a Mexico City to Tennessee and back ride via Texas and had no safety issues to speak of.

I was stopped at every checkpoint by the military and the Federales, which has never, ever happened to me before. Mostly they asked questions, which at first seemed very specific and aimed at testing me to see if my story was legit. Once I passed their "tests" they got very friendly and started in with the usual questions about my job and the bike. One time the Federale even demanded my circulation card (bike registration here) and checked to see that my VIN matched my documents.

I crossed into the US at Nuevo Laredo, and back into Mexico at Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras. Both crossings were very fast. At Piedras, I was singled out for revision by the military. They dug through all my cases and bags and asked some very pointed questions. But once they were satisfied, they sent me on my way. I never even had to show any of my passport or ID's. In fact, I forgot to go to immigration to check back into the country (a condition if my immigration status here, I'll do it tomorrow here in Toluca).

And the best brisket barbecue I had was at Cooper's in Llano, Texas. Highly recommended.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #9622
Pevey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWORBUST View Post
Mexico? I would be worried about going to the states. Here the murders for 2009 based upon census data.

Mexico 2009 Murders 12,400
States 2009 Murders 15,241

I live in Canada and avoid travelling to the states due to the crime. Mexico is much safer than the usa.
Not sure where you got your figues but I got mine from Wikipedia-

Mexico 25,757+ for a murder rate of 22.7 per 100.000

USA 12,996 for a murder rate of 4.2 per 100.000

Canade is at 1.6 but with all that snow, its easier to hide bodies.

(Remember the US has three times the population of Mexico)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Pevey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9623
BMWORBUST
Banned

Oddometer: 499
FBI data show that in the United States, “There were 5.0 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2009.
According to the latest figures from Mexico’s National Institute of Statistics and Geography.

Canada's murder rate is insignificant, we tend not to murder people.

The countries population doesn't really matter, it's about pure body count. The USA is very much like a third world country when it comes to murder body count.

It's pretty sad when you think about it.
BMWORBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #9624
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWORBUST View Post
FBI data show that in the United States, “There were 5.0 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2009.
According to the latest figures from Mexico’s National Institute of Statistics and Geography.

Canada's murder rate is insignificant, we tend not to murder people. But when we do we like to eat them with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

The countries population doesn't really matter, it's about pure body count. The USA is very much like a third world country when it comes to murder body count.

It's pretty sad when you think about it.
Fixt.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #9625
Pevey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
[QUOTE=

Canada's murder rate is insignificant, we tend not to murder people.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe but compared to Iceland, Canada is almost savage.

I'm just calling you on bad stats- I do seem to remember a shooting in Montreal a few years back so bad things can happen everywhere. No one is immune.
Pevey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #9626
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrut View Post
I really appreciate the balance in which you guys are representing traveling in Mexico. I am moving from Belize to Texas and for the sake of time, shipped my bike down to Belize over a year ago rather than riding it. I have been trying to make a decision on assessing my own personal risk / reward scenario for riding through Mexico and I have decided that for me, there are too many “I don’t want to miss seeing that” moments for me to pass on this ride. My plan is to enter through Chetumal, hit Palenque, Villahermosa, Coatzacoalcos and up to Veracruz. I would like to meet up with Mike there and get in some rides together in the area if you have time. I will be taking my time from there to Dallas and am open to any route that makes sense for the trip. I am planning on leaving Chetumal around September 2 and would like to meet up with anyone you know that might be in the area during that time. Again, thank you guys for the input and suggestions on making this a cool trip. Hope to see some of you soon.
Well, you could ride the Twisted Sisters through the best Hill Country roads of Texas and some awesome DS (or all-paved) through Central Texas to Loco Coyote for the very best ribs around, then on to Dallas.

dwj-Donnie joined our merry little band for a similar ride from Dallas to Uvalde enroute to Veracruz. He SEEMED to enjoy himself.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #9627
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
If you fall off road, oftentimes, your elbow guards can break your ribs on impact.....
You got that right, hermano! Had that exact thing happen then I bought the torso armor. Compression top is even better.

Quote:
Been a while since I've been in Piedras, but I used to stay at Hotel California....
So you checked out AND they let you leave??

Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #9628
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=dwj - Donnie;19460047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

Thanks, is Hotel California and Hotel 57 the same hotel?
No think thats across the steet from 57 next to Juan Morles casa any way I'm only 150mi away you are welcome to stay at casa Bato Donnie PM me if you would . thought you had lived there for a while too

Bato screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 04:14 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #9629
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Well, you could ride the Twisted Sisters through the best Hill Country roads of Texas and some awesome DS (or all-paved) through Central Texas to Loco Coyote for the very best ribs around, then on to Dallas.

dwj-Donnie joined our merry little band for a similar ride from Dallas to Uvalde enroute to Veracruz. He SEEMED to enjoy himself.

Yes, he did!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #9630
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Bato;19461328]
Quote:

No thats across the steet from 57 next to Juan Morles casa any way I'm only 150mi away you are welcome to stay at casa Bato Donnie PM me if you would . thought you had lived there for a while too

Thanks for the offer! I worked in Piedras Negras from 1986 till 1991, but I never lived there.