Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #9631
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,139
[QUOTE=Bato;19461328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post

No thats across the steet from 57 next to Juan Morles casa any way I'm only 150mi away you are welcome to stay at casa Bato Donnie PM me if you would . thought you had lived there for a while too

Thanks for the offer! I worked in Piedras Negras from 1986 till 1991, but I never lived there.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #9632
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrut View Post
hit Palenque, Villahermosa, Coatzacoalcos and up to Veracruz. I would like to meet up with Mike there and get in some rides together in the area if you have time.
I've got time available next week on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday. It's the rainy season so we'll be playing things by ear. A little slippery these days! We'll see if the Mystery Rider is around or if he is wandering off to Africa, again.
He does that a lot.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #9633
rodrut
Ride Central America

Oddometer: 44
Sounds great. I'm in Texas now and working on getting down to Belize to pickup my bike. I will give you a heads up as soon as I have a firm date. Are you getting alot of rain during the day now? Typically further south, we are getting 95% of our rain in the evenings and the days are pretty dry.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #9634
rodrut
Ride Central America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Well, you could ride the Twisted Sisters through the best Hill Country roads of Texas and some awesome DS (or all-paved) through Central Texas to Loco Coyote for the very best ribs around, then on to Dallas.

dwj-Donnie joined our merry little band for a similar ride from Dallas to Uvalde enroute to Veracruz. He SEEMED to enjoy himself.

That was pretty much the plan. I like the hill country. Loco Coyote is 100% on the list.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #9635
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Heading back South

Rolling south in late Oct to PV and storing the bike there for 2 weeks. When I return to the bike I will have 3.5 months off. The plan: roll south until I run out of time. I hope to get into South America and have 6-8 weeks there. It is a fluid plan and will change as the ride moves along.

So this is my 4th time to Mexico and do I think it is safe.. hmmmm. Its safe enough for me and my limited riding experience!!!!

I did just finsih reading Killing Pablo and these few sentences struck me...

"In Medellin he(Pablo) had created a dual system of justice. The violence committed in the course of his business - the murder rate doubled in the city during this period - was studiously ignored by the police. It was considered part of the drug business, something separate from civil society."

This struck me as very sililar to what is going on in Mexico but to a lesser degree. Although not much less. It also makee me think of some people that blindly defend Mexico no matter what tragedy happens.The unfortunate fact is that bad things are happening in parts of Mexico and it is not separate from civil society! At times they will cross paths no matter how much one turns the other direction.

For me I have accpeted the risk and try to mitigate it. Acting like it does not exist or is as if it is "part of the drug business, something separate from civil society." is naive.

All that said I am still going but be aware and educate yourself. Well I gotta get back to work now that I have probably stored the pot!!

Hope to cross paths with some of you south of the border!!!
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #9636
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 804
Balanced views

Smitty, I read your post and think that there probably will be those that will counter it with same arguments that have been poppin around here, sometimes defensively, for years.

While physically IN mexico on a motorcycle three times I talked with locals many times and depending on weather or not they have a vested interest in the tourist industry I got a variety of views, ranging from "it's just media hype" to "we do have a problem here". All the while I never actually got to experience any of the violence even as a witness, fortunately.

My Mexican riding friend living in PV never alters his rides due to the reports but admits "The country has a problem"

I just don't see it affecting us as riders much if at all, other than at the military stops.

Thanks for your objective post. :)
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #9637
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrut View Post
That was pretty much the plan. I like the hill country. Loco Coyote is 100% on the list.
Post up when you're coming through and let us know if you'd like company.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #9638
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Looks like a FOX Proframe LC, about $100. I wear that over my Evoshield compression shirt. If you fall off road, oftentimes, your elbow guards can break your ribs on impact, so the compression shirt hard shell fills the gap between the Proframe LC front and rear body armor. You can also remove the back upper piece of the LC if you want a good fit with a Leatt neck brace.
Thanks Kiko!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #9639
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo View Post
My Mexican riding friend living in PV never alters his rides due to the reports but admits "The country has a problem"
Exactly.
There are a few posters on here, myself included, who live here and have lived here and ridden here for a long time.
Sometimes I find it humorous when someone tells me, online, that Mexico is too dangerous to ride in.
So where are those of us who live here supposed to ride? We live here and ride here year round all the time, it is home.
As far as altering routes and rides go? I am not stubborn (though my wife will disagree), I will alter a route if there has been way too much stuff going on, like the Misantla and Martinez de la Torre area a couple of months back. They have managed to flush out a good number of the bad guys in that area so I have no problems recommending the route (which is a very good ride) through the area. The way I look at it is that if an area is hot due to excessive criminal activity (daily body dumps, kidnappings, more robberies than usual) or dangerous due to heavy rains and the possibility of landslides or rock falls, I'll simply choose another area, it isn't as if there is any shortage or good riding around here.

Narcoviolence, like it or not, is a fact of daily life in some parts of Mexico and you learn to live with it and plan accordingly. It is not going to stop any time soon, it comes and goes in waves but it is always around. It rarely will affect tourists and ADV type riders. I think SR will agree, that it is while we are riding here is normally when we can relax a lot more and it is the daily to and from the office or work, or the typical daily activities where things can go pear shaped. Few people hang around here long enough to encounter what residents have to take into account. People coming through are fluid and we are more static so it becomes a matter of different priorities for security.

Rodrut, regarding rain, we've been getting some daytime showers, usually in the AM, and of course the usual late night/very early AM stuff that is normal for this time of year. Your route up from Belize is likely going to be at least one stage heavier for rain than what you'll find here unless some more tropical waves are coming through. Watch for the onda tropical forecasts, when you are getting set to head north from Belize, let me know and I'll get you a decent 3 day weather forecast and likely precipitation amounts for your route.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #9640
rodrut
Ride Central America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Post up when you're coming through and let us know if you'd like company.
Good riding company is always welcome my friend. I will let you know as I get further north. It looks like I may be another week before I can take off.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #9641
rodrut
Ride Central America

Rodrut, regarding rain, we've been getting some daytime showers, usually in the AM, and of course the usual late night/very early AM stuff that is normal for this time of year. Your route up from Belize is likely going to be at least one stage heavier for rain than what you'll find here unless some more tropical waves are coming through. Watch for the onda tropical forecasts, when you are getting set to head north from Belize, let me know and I'll get you a decent 3 day weather forecast and likely precipitation amounts for your route.[/QUOTE]

Mike, you are a great resource for guys unfamiliar with the area and I appreciate the time and assistance that you offer for guys coming through. I am going to get pushed back about a week on my trip but will update you so we can hopefully get some miles in together.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #9642
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

No worries, in fact, pushing things back a week opens up a couple of more days for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #9643
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=dwj - Donnie;19462086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

Thanks for the offer! I worked in Piedras Negras from 1986 till 1991, but I never lived there.
I was today in Piedras Negras pass by Motel 57 the sign said rate is about 25 bucks the federales are staying there it doesn't look like 30yrs ago... The restaurant is closed
FYI : Friend went back to Monclova left Piedras Negras at 6pm he just called ., He went though 5 military check points they must be upi to somthing

Bato screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 09:18 PM Reason: update
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #9644
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Looks like a FOX Proframe LC, about $100. I wear that over my Evoshield compression shirt. If you fall off road, oftentimes, your elbow guards can break your ribs on impact, so the compression shirt hard shell fills the gap between the Proframe LC front and rear body armor. You can also remove the back upper piece of the LC if you want a good fit with a Leatt neck brace.

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #9645
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote