Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #9691
HiVizRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Passports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Also, I've heard that passports are required and that they are not. Any current info. appreciated. Thanks
You certainly will need a passport to get back into the US. By the way, I carry several laminated copies of the picture page of my passport. I show it when asked at checkpoints. Same for drivers license. Other than the actual border crossings, I have never had anyone ask for the real passport.

HiVizRider screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 09:14 PM
HiVizRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #9692
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Damn guys, I love that you all seem to know each other and love the photos, but about my questions.......? Especially the passport one? I should research this on my own and not bother y'all, but thought that first hand experience from you might be helpful. Vaya con dios! Beretta
It's not "either/or" but "both/and".

Do your research first.

Then come bother us.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #9693
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVizRider View Post
You certainly will need a passport to get back into the US. By the way, I carry several laminated copies of the picture page of my passport. I show it when asked at checkpoints. Same for drivers license. Other than the actual border crossings, I have never had anyone ask for the real passport.
Pretty good idea you got there for copying the passport. Think I'll adopt that one myself.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #9694
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Arte, Yes, I'll be heading up there but will do the tour on Saturday and likely return to watch some of the event on Sunday and make my donation to the school. Hope to see you there! Now, help me out here, which weekend in October is it?
I've forgotten LOL! Seriously, the Mystery Rider will likely be coming along if he is back from Africa. If he got some trail tires on his HP2 he'll be dangerous. LOL! Let me know the dates again, please.

SR, that is just a quick shot from the saddle where I parked by the side of the road. No stitching required for that one.
I noticed the puffly clouds in one of your shots, on the Puebla side you can find those heading towards el Pico all the time. That shot is from the road to the geo-thermal zone I've mentioned. You'll enjoy that place!

Big Swiss Army knives are sold all over the place here, I've never seen anyone bothered about carrying any sort of blade.
I've seen guys with machetes strapped to bikes. Not much of an issue unless you decide to pull it on someone and then you had better be really skilled and know how to use it. Machete fights are a very, very common way of settling scores, at least in the rural areas of this state, poker debts, cheating wives/husbands, petty theft, heavy arguments, etc...can often end up with a machete being used. Most of the bricklayer guys on construction sites carry a knife, they keep it handy on pay day in case someone tries to roll them. A Canadian tourist hacked up two petty thieves at a campsite here about 15 years ago, they were stealing from his camper and he put both of them in the hospital. He was locked up for about 2 days and then let go on the grounds that the thieves wouldn't press charges against him and the cops saw it as protection of property and self-defense.
The reality is, the machete is a common tool here and the coffee plantations, sugar cane plantations, farms, ranches, damn near everywhere there is outdoor work being done, you'll find them, if you watch someone who knows how to use one it is really interesting and appears effortless.
Your mileage may vary.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #9695
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #9696
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
I mis-spent some of my youth in Mexico. Two and a half months traveling in a VW bug in '68., and various other much shorter trips over the years, but haven't been there in close to 25 years. My wife and I are thinking of a trip to San Felipe from Phoenix in Nov-Dec on our bikes. ('88 K75 and '08 Versys). I'm fluent in Spanish, she isn't...not even close. Knows a lot of words, but refuses so far to learn verbs/tenses. Since I know that firearms (even one single bullet) can get you in a heap of trouble; I'm wondering what their attitude nowadays is concerning pocket knives (swiss army type and larger tactical locking folders is? Also, I've heard that passports are required and that they are not. Any current info. appreciated. Thanks
I got hassled in Mazatlan in 2011 by a municipal cop for carring a locking folder. It was going to be a shakedown no matter what I had on me, but he was particularly interested in making a big deal out of the knife. Said it was a "big problem". Lots of talk about getting in the car and going down down to take care of this, "big problem". Wait......wait.........here it comes........"or, I could just pay the fine to him and he would handle the paperwork." and I did. Then the cop gives me back the knife, a couple of lefties I had on me and tells me to carry my knife in my crotch area, because the cops don't like to check there. Same trip, my ridding buddy bought a big ole machete and rode all around Mexico with it strapped to his sidecase. We went through several military checks with not a word said.

Been told by Mexican attorney that it's not a crime to have it on you, but if your carring during the commission of a crime, everything gets bumped up to the Mexican version of a felony.

I think I'll still carry, the damn things are too useful.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #9697
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

It should be obvious to the average reader that this fuss over knives is a case of

(1) The cop wanting the knife for his collection, and has invented an excuse to take it.

(2) A classic squeeze for a mordida. Almost anything to make an unprepared traveler uncomfortable and fearful of further (trumped up) consequences.

Your best bet is to not carry it [fill in the blank with any item] in a manner that makes it a subject of conversation in the first place. But I'm sure this has already occurred to everybody.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #9698
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
I mis-spent some of my youth in Mexico. Two and a half months traveling in a VW bug in '68., and various other much shorter trips over the years, but haven't been there in close to 25 years. My wife and I are thinking of a trip to San Felipe from Phoenix in Nov-Dec on our bikes. ('88 K75 and '08 Versys). I'm fluent in Spanish, she isn't...not even close. Knows a lot of words, but refuses so far to learn verbs/tenses. Since I know that firearms (even one single bullet) can get you in a heap of trouble; I'm wondering what their attitude nowadays is concerning pocket knives (swiss army type and larger tactical locking folders is? Also, I've heard that passports are required and that they are not. Any current info. appreciated. Thanks

Guess it sorta "depends". And it's probably a regional thing.

I don't know your route to San Filipe but if you take the road that runs along the coast (Rt. 15 I think it is) about a decade ago I was searched while coming back from the Zona Roja in Mazatlan (stop snickering guys ;)

Moral of the story is that I had a Swiss Army knife with me. The military didn't even look twice at it, and when I asked the cabbie why they didn't make an issue of me having a knife he said that was because I wasn't a "troublemaker". (He later told me that I was one of the few tourists that didn't smoke dope, so keep that in mind).

The issue of knives seems to be a local or regional thing. Some of the tourist stores in Progreso openly sell some pretty big switch blade appearing knives but I hear that knives are always illegal in Laredo.

When I rode with Arte and Andres to Santa Ana a few years ago I noticed that one of the guys carried a Swiss Army multitool on his belt; I usually carry a Garmin multitool but put it in my tank bag when en Mexico.

Anyone else?

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #9699
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I got hassled in Mazatlan in 2011 by a municipal cop for carring a locking folder. It was going to be a shakedown no matter what I had on me, but he was particularly interested in making a big deal out of the knife. Said it was a "big problem". Lots of talk about getting in the car and going down down to take care of this, "big problem". Wait......wait.........here it comes........"or, I could just pay the fine to him and he would handle the paperwork." and I did. Then the cop gives me back the knife, a couple of lefties I had on me and tells me to carry my knife in my crotch area, because the cops don't like to check there. Same trip, my ridding buddy bought a big ole machete and rode all around Mexico with it strapped to his sidecase. We went through several military checks with not a word said.

Been told by Mexican attorney that it's not a crime to have it on you, but if your carring during the commission of a crime, everything gets bumped up to the Mexican version of a felony.

I think I'll still carry, the damn things are too useful.

What's a lefty, Amigo? A joint?

If that's the case then you probably just validated my post of my experience en Mazatlan A decade ago ;)

Trice and Mike are right. Small pocket knife probably isn't an issue but of you are obviously carry for defense or especially assault then you might have trouble.

Two more data points:

* on that Mazatlan trip one of the rent a cops in the Golden Zone (tourist area) was openly carrying a large knife. I asked him about that and his comment to me was that a gun might get you several years in jail but a large knife was only 6 months

* one of the Mexican guys that posts here who shall remain nameless carries several BIG knives in a top case in what looks like a kitchen knife block. They go camping and use them for camping. Those guys are a bit more savvy than I am but they have a logical reason for carrying a set of Arkansas Toothpicks ;)

Comparable to this but without the ugly orange:

PirateJohn screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:27 AM
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #9700
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Pretty good idea you got there for copying the passport. Think I'll adopt that one myself.
Data points:

* Photocopying your documents and hiding your originals was the advice given to RVer's and such a decade ago. It's probably a very good idea.

* I do know a character from my times in the RGV that had his passport taken away from him by two big guys that barged into his hotel room in Mexico City. They took his passport and told him to leave the country immediately.

Now, Joey a/k/a Jose is the stereotypical crooked businessman and bar owner and owes money to half of Hildalgo County, and was, I am confident, doing strictly business in Mexico without the proper visa, something that I have been warned repeatedly will get you in trouble if you don't comply. But it does happen.

* Dirty little secret, and don't spread it around, but as recently as last December I crossed into the USA without a passport. Mexico is requiring anyone outside the border zones to have a passport, and the US *expects* you to have a passport or a passport card, so get one. But if your passport is lost or stolen you can still get back in if you have US government issued ID.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #9701
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Data points:

* Photocopying your documents and hiding your originals was the advice given to RVer's and such a decade ago. It's probably a very good idea.
Been doing same for 10+ years myself. Both soft and hard copies. But not laminating a color copy of my passport picture page and presenting that instead of the actual passport. New trick for this old dog.

Quote:

* Dirty little secret, and don't spread it around, but as recently as last December I crossed into the USA without a passport. Mexico is requiring anyone outside the border zones to have a passport, and the US *expects* you to have a passport or a passport card, so get one. But if your passport is lost or stolen you can still get back in if you have US government issued ID.
Probably less of a secret among savvy travelers than just a point some don't want to publicize. I, for one, won't cross the border with anyone lacking a passport. Getting your papers "in order" is way too easy and the potential hassles are pointless.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #9702
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
last December I crossed into the USA without a passport.
The solution is...don't leave, just stay!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #9703
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

If you don't have it together

Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #9704
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
What's a lefty, Amigo? A joint?

If that's the case then you probably just validated my post of my experience en Mazatlan A decade ago ;)

Trice and Mike are right. Small pocket knife probably isn't an issue but of you are obviously carry for defense or especially assault then you might have trouble.

Two more data points:

* on that Mazatlan trip one of the rent a cops in the Golden Zone (tourist area) was openly carrying a large knife. I asked him about that and his comment to me was that a gun might get you several years in jail but a large knife was only 6 months

* one of the Mexican guys that posts here who shall remain nameless carries several BIG knives in a top case in what looks like a kitchen knife block. They go camping and use them for camping. Those guys are a bit more savvy than I am but they have a logical reason for carrying a set of Arkansas Toothpicks ;)

Comparable to this but without the ugly orange:

Happy to be a "bad example". again.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #9705
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Puerto Escondido