User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #9736
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
At ease, gentlemen.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #9737
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
There is a lot of wisdom in post 10012 when SR describes how Miguel handled a confrontation with some guys in the wilderness. If you are riding off road in these areas, pick your riding companions carefully.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #9738
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Vallartazo

Son is doing the Vallartazo with his gang want to share here some pics that he send me Guadalajara -Vallarta por la brecha they havent see any sicarios yet

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #9739
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
There is a lot of wisdom in post 10012 when SR describes how Miguel handled a confrontation with some guys in the wilderness. If you are riding off road in these areas, pick your riding companions carefully.
Absolutely. I was riding with a group and had a minor incident with a local "representative" during a trip last spring. We had a native speaker who disarmed the situation with his fluency and cultural knowledge. Not a big deal; we ended up giving the "representative" some cash for a 6 pack, so he would protect us while we were in town.

One thing that was pointed out by our "amigo mexicano" is that motorcycle travel in Mexico is perceived to be "on the cheap". It's assumed that motorcycle riders don't have enough money to afford to travel in a "real vehicle". That's good for us riders, because our mode of transportation is less threatening than in the States.

You locals from Mexico can confirm this, but if true, it's good to know how a motorcycle traveler is perceived.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #9740
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

One thing that was pointed out by our "amigo mexicano" is that motorcycle travel in Mexico is perceived to be "on the cheap". It's assumed that motorcycle riders don't have enough money to afford to travel in a "real vehicle". That's good for us riders, because our mode of transportation is less threatening than in the States.

You locals from Mexico can confirm this, but if true, it's good to know how a motorcycle traveler is perceived.
SR has it right. There is no way that a kitted out ADV bike is considered to be a "poor man's transportation", I think something was lost between the translation from your Mexican "amigo" and your group of gringos. You are seen as a human dollar sign simply by how you are outfitted and the fact that you don't fit in the local picture.

If you want to be considered as using poor man's transportation you need a beat up scooter or a pizza delivery bike or maybe a Chinese bike with some gee gaws. But you better be wearing sandals and old clothes and probably no helmet. That is what is considered poor man's transportation.

You'll never be considered as using poor man's transportation here if you are riding a bike where one Touratech farkle costs more than what the local people could possibly earn in two week's of hard work.

As for giving beer money to local thugs, once you open your wallet you are screwed unless you really know the lay of the land and what you are doing. The beer money shakedown is a pain in the butt when you are confronted with it, it is extortion plain and simple. It is a hassle when you are traveling alone and I avoid it at all costs. Personally, giving money to some drunk so he can drink more and then go home and beat his wife and kids is not my idea of a positive engagement with local folks. You need to know how these guys live and what they do to other local people, you are not the only one being shaken down. They pull the same stunt with other local people, too. Call me a tightwad if you want, but I will gladly give a little "cooperacion" to a woman with 3 little kids hanging off her skirt that are cold and hungry than some drunk thinking he is a human toll booth.

Think about this. How much "protection" are you going to get for a six pack? LOL!

Kiko is very correct in saying that you should pick your companions carefully when you ride some of these areas. However, if you don't live in the region it can be difficult to choose who you ride with (like on a moto tourist type tour) and you are stuck with the group. Often, I would much rather ride alone than with some local groups. SR makes a good point about mamones and juniors and such, he does more of those "organized' rides so he has had more experience with that. Ask Craneguy about the Harley crews. LOL!

MikeMike screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 08:16 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #9741
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
As Kilo mentioned, you really do need to choose your riding companions well.
Yeah, but that dude ought to change his handle if he doesn't want to be hassled at every checkpoint.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #9742
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Change it to "Pepito", he'll be famous!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #9743
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ok, but think of all the great riding we have on our respective doorsteps!

Eat, drink, and be merry...you could have been born Amish!

What's wrong with that?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #9744
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
What's wrong with that?
Buttons.
When was the last time you rode with a button up riding jacket?
Sticking a newspaper down the front of a GWG jacket was so much fun...until it rained...or snowed.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #9745
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Miguelito in San Antonio

Excellent afternoon at the Hootenanny Bar & Grill, shootin' the breeze with Miguelito.

Tomorrow the shop opens up and his bike gets a makeover to fix a cam sensor issue.

If the bike isn't ready by noon, I'll have to take him to Harmon's for some of Ray's award winning brisket.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9746
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Excellent afternoon at the Hootenanny Bar & Grill, shootin' the breeze with Miguelito.

Tomorrow the shop opens up and his bike gets a makeover to fix a cam sensor issue.

If the bike isn't ready by noon, I'll have to take him to Harmon's for some of Ray's award winning brisket.
Ya! that was a great ho-down esp. considering there were only 2 ADV riders in attendance. We solved much of the country's, (if not the world's), problems, (now if only someone would listen to us!), and pumped each other up on the personal health/fitness front. Cheers amigo!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #9747
bamagator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Flipping awesome thread and debate.

My folks have a place in Rosarito Bch, Mex and have spent part of their year down there for 15 years or so. I have been to a few regions of Mex via there, other travel and when I lived in El Paso many many moons ago. I am not as seasoned of a traveler there as my folks are but....my take on travel there:

- My parents keep a cool head, have a junker car they travel in/keep down there to travel in and don't go out at night. They have not had any issues and play smart.
- My dumb ass sister, cousin and their friend were down visiting and went out late into the pm to party and got mugged and in a brutal confrontation.........again, she is a dumb ass and without common sense...could happen anywhere but I think the odds are higher in Mex than the US personally...my biased take.
- Would I visit/travel Mex solo or in a small group? Sure/Absolutely , but I would have a solid documented travel plan (and a SPOT), I would do my best to avoid known hot spots of cartel games and I would just be more aware of my surroundings at all times. I would also brush up on my Spanish (I used to be fairly fluent). You're prob assuming much more risk in Mex than traveling in Canada as an example. Although those crazy freaking Canadians are loco...we need a "safe to travel in Canada?" thread!

Mexico = Beautiful country, wonderful people/culture, great things to behold and relatively cheap travel AND it's in our backyard.

Keeping it real: When I visit, my primary fear is being at the wrong place at the wrong time. At/near my folks place, there have been executions of local officials/LEOs and the mayor has an armed entourage with him at all times. That is fact and not some make believe/yellow journalism. The bakery I used to go to at my folks place got nailed by a drive by shooting as an example (and subsequently closed), this is not BS, it really happened. By comparison, in my part of the country, we don't have LEO's or local government officials getting whacked here very often to the best of my knowledge and my local Panera's has never been sprayed by automatic gun fire.....

Stay thirsty my friend, nutt up or shut up and have fun....always drink responsibly, void where not prohibited and use common sense and as always, always have a plan "B" Riding in Mexico may result in flush skin, upset stomach and dizziness. Always consult your doctor and if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hrs, immediately go to the local emergency room.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #9748
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagator View Post
Always consult your doctor and if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hrs, immediately go to the local emergency room.
In a situation like that, the last place I'd go would be to the emergency room.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #9749
bamagator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In a situation like that, the last place I'd go would be to the emergency room.
What? No fantasies about nurses fixing your problems dude?? I heard in Mexico they wear the old school white nurse outfits vs scrubs......ha!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #9750
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagator View Post
What? No fantasies about nurses fixing your problems dude?? I heard in Mexico they wear the old school white nurse outfits vs scrubs......ha!
Nice thoughts

Doctor Gallegos will see you now