That is, if you're the Jimmy Buffet type
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #9798
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mstone View Post
I've only read the last 4 pages so I will not make any comment or observation other than to say I'm glad this thread was started and I plan to read most if not all pages in the future as I plan to ride to Mexico this winter so I hope to get some education on said trip south of the border that is all thank you.
Welcome to IMS.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #9799
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Yeah, I know! Ideally I would like to live in the mountains at about 4,500 to 5,500 feet of elevation. Avoid the excessive heat without having too much cold, plus have those nice mountain roads.
Check out Galeana and Rayones with me. And the region around Cola de Caballo.

I'd rather live a few hours from the border and have better climate.

Also looking to rent and move from region to region over time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #9800
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
This is very important stuff.

I spoke with Antonio.

He said, "Oh, yeah, that guero from San Angelo" and I told him no, that was Jimmex.

Then he said, "Ahh, that guero who doesn't belive in Harleys", and I told him no, no, that was Donnie.
He thought for a moment and said, "Ok, I've got it, that guero with the beard that likes Harleys", and I said no, that was the Mystery Rider.

Then he got real tense, began to shake, an angry sort of trembling, and he began to slowly scowl and begin a tirade of curses and oaths in Spanish and English the likes of which my virgin ears have never heard before! He said, "That no good, dirty, dog of the street, hijo de quien sabes quien, etc...etc...etc and at that moment, I spoke up and stopped him and asked him when he had met Trice.

Heh, heh, heh couldn't resist that one!

Oh crap, that was funny!

Kinda hurt that he doesn't remember me.

I'll tip better next time.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #9801
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Bamagator we are on page 674 of this thread...it might be a real good idea to read most if not all of those pages before you dip your oars into these deep and sometimes troubled waters...know the neighborhood and proceed with caution and a bit of respect...not the place to rant about your sister or quote the tag line for ED med warnings...your experience is valuable but you are a bit green to have this much attitude and refer to Trice as "dude".

PJ: 674 on my iPad, PowerBook, iPhone, and PC none appear to count pages differently...another cyber highway hazard?
Wonder if it's a Tapatalk thing because my counter shows page 505.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #9802
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I don't get the sense that Motorcycles, at least the one most guys ride for adventure are considered poor man's transportation. More like expensive toys, but when you ride one it's obvious that you are traveling as a tourist and that can really help your case.

You should be able to speak some Spanish, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to be Gringo, in fact I think it helps in these situations. The magic words are always that you are a tourist. Bothering tourist is a big no no and can get these guys in a lot of trouble within their own organization for doing it. A Gringo accent supports your story that you are a tourist. Also, Mexico has a lot of class strife and hatred. As gringos we somewhat set aside from all of that, which helps in some small way.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823336

My first riding trip into Mexico was in early 1999 with a Pancho Villa tour and it was horrible, horrible, horrible. Disorganized, incompetent leadership, too much done on the cheap to make more money for Pancho Villa, etc. But a major source of friction was that there were some older couples traveling together and sticking together who were as obnoxious as hell. They liked to talk down to the locals, ask how much something was in "real money", one woman lectured the shoeshine kid for not being in school and bitched at me for letting him shine my boots (one of the local guys quietly took the criticism in stride and told me that the town's schools had let out 45 minutes earlier).

That sort of nonsense.

These born to be wild wannabes managed to offend several people and I apologized several times. I mentioned to several folks that I really appreciated their kindness and helpfulness despite these other people being rude, and I heard the same response several times: "we know you are on vacation and we think you should enjoy yourself."

Such a great attitude!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #9803
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #9804
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Schizz, Antonio remembers you.
But...he still cannot be convinced that you didn't cause that car accident out in front of the hotel by somehow using your cell phone.

Jimmex, being the "guero from San Angelo" is a helluva lot better than being that "pince gringo from Ontario"!

I'll be paying a visit to the bar this weekend sometime and I'll pass along your regards, have some scotch, and a bowl of seafood soup. They've also redone the menus for the restaurant and the bar, some very good appetizers like octopus tostadas, shrimp with a spicy mustard and mango sauce, and peach slices wrapped in jamon Serrano, etc... The chef has been getting his chingon mojo on lately.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #9805
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have a border question for y'all.

I will be selling my home in Mississippi in the future and am strongly considering renting a house in Mexico within the next year. While it will be my only permanent residence, it would by no means be where I am at all of the time. Probably 50% of the time at the most. I like most of you, avoid border towns and generally spend no longer time there than I must, but I have a dilemma of sorts. I would like to be within a one day ride of Dallas, TX, plus I would like to have access to the US Postal System. Yes I know the USPS sucks, they lost between six and eight weeks of my mail earlier this year while I was in Central America, but I need them for prescription drug deliveries and a few other things.

Anyway, it appears that Ciudad Acuna south to Nuevo Laredo might be logistically within the area that would fit my needs. While I worked in Piedras Negras many years ago, living there was never a consideration, so I really know very little about the finer points of such an undertaking. I would probably handle all Mexico business in someone else's name and simply be an occupant in the house. That should make things a little bit easier!

I am very interested in hearing the Pros and Cons of the various towns along the border. Oh, I would also want to live across the border from a US hospital.

Thanks!
To be within one day of Dallas really limits where you can live. There have been good suggestions already. I really like the Galeana area, but some parts of Nuevo Leon have been pretty rough over the past couple years. A former coworker of mine is married to a lady from that region, and there was always a fear of going home to visit. Of course, many will say that about all parts of Mexico.

As far as the USPS goes, many mailing/shipping shops rent physical address boxes. It's like a PO box, but they also accept UPS, Fedex, and DHL deliveries. My dad has one that he uses as his address for everything. It looks like an apartment address, but all it is, is a mailbox at a privately owned shipping business. When I lived in Mexico, we would order everything we would need and have it waiting for us when we arrived. I also use it for almost all my orders since they receive them and there is no worry of the package being left on my doorstep, or having to go pick stuff up at the UPS depot. I think he pays around $130 a year for the box. Since he has no other addresses in the USA it works very well for this purpose. The local UPS store also has them. I think most if not all UPS stores offer them. They have 24 hour access with a code, but you won't be able to pick up your packages unless someone is there.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #9806
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 932
Living in Mexico

Here is my story (abbreviated) for those thinking of living in Mexico. We moved to Banámichi Sonora almost 5 years ago. We live here full time and we built a small hotel and continue to run our motorcycle tour biz. Banámichi is on the Rio Sonora 135 miles from Bisbee, AZ. ( 3 hours) Tucson at 5 hours away so we are far enough away from the border towns but close enough to AZ pick up that Amazon purchase, see a doctor or go shopping. We are also 2 hours away from Hermosillo, a city of close to a million with a Costco, Home-depot and more. From Hermosillo, it is another hour or less to the beach at Kino Bay.

We have twisty roads to ride, great Mexican neighbors, only a few resident gringos, ADSL for internet, Vonage style phone and Netflix. If we were not working hard at the hotel we could be considered retired. The Rio Sonora area is peaceful with no problems. It is not a big tourist area. We get visitors from both the US and Mexico. We have no gated communities, no gringo enclaves (there are all of 5 of us.) and no building permits. We have good clean spring water feeding the municipal system, working sewers, paved roads and street lights in town, hot sprigs a few miles down the road and working cowboys on horseback. It is not resort living - something we don't want - and we have a great life here. Prices are lower on housing and raw land, food is reasonable and gas is about the same as in the US but it contains no ethanol. And we get to ride these roads. The locals are great folks, friendly and they have almost stopped treating us like gringos.

So let me throw in a pitch for the Rio Sonora if you are thinking about changing your life for the better.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #9807
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Paginas y Pancho Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Wonder if it's a Tapatalk thing because my counter shows page 505.
PJ,

Don't know what's up with the page number thing my counter shows 675+ (of course I can't read the number because I am on a reply page)

Sorry to hear about your experience with Pancho Villa... I had my own experiences with their successor company and I kind of feel that it is the nature of the guided tour beast to have some of these problems: you are thrown in with people you don't know, it is random and you may not jibe with their vibe, can make for an unpleasant few days, we stayed in nice places but there was always too much riding an not enough "far niente" I don't like to slam out 350-500 miles a day just to say I have done it... the motorcycle is the vehicle for the trip, not the purpose of it... some folks think otherwise... how can you experience a country and a people when it is a race between hotel rooms punctuated by gas stations and a hurried lunch at a place you didn't scout out and select? I like to stretch in the AM, enjoy my coffee, have some fresh fruit, its Mexico!...the journey is the destination... some folks just aren't comfortable with that... some of us thrive on uncertainty and risk management. I like Skip a lot and have shared some of my thoughts with him. I think that he works hard to provide a quality product and he himself gets caught in the variables. I have never had and probably never will have the dinero to do a Globe Riders trip but hear that they are really first class. In the meantime there are so many good resources on this website... ultimately nothing subs for boots on the ground and wheels rolling.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #9808
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Open up a hotel/bar in Huatulco and be done with it
That sounds like WORK!!!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #9809
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Hire a flock of señoritas to actually run the place. You sit back, collect the rent, and have your bunions massaged.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #9810
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Check out Galeana and Rayones with me. And the region around Cola de Caballo.

I'd rather live a few hours from the border and have better climate.

Hey JD!

I might want to do that some time, but for the time being, I am still here with Tracy.

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote