ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #9841
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
For the people that want to take those guided tours and that sort of stuff, why not just plan a tour where you can meet up with people on this forum?
+1 Mike. There is a wealth of knowledge lurking under the smart-ass surface of the comments here. Why not take advantage of it. That, plus when things start getting too organized, I start having flashbacks of my second wife, and I want to head screaming for the door.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #9842
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
That is what I was thinking! Y'all have now confirmed my greatest fear!
I still have connections in the Air Force. I just ordered a JDAM strike on your computer to cure your problem.

After you read this, the jet will be 20 seconds out from your location....

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #9843
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I still have connections in the Air Force. I just ordered a JDAM strike on your computer to cure your problem.

After you read this, the jet will be 20 seconds out from your location....

Do you think that I would be safe in Mexico!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #9844
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,129
BTW, for any of you that have followed my last couple of Ride Reports and especially the one to Central America earlier this year, you know that I spent quite a bit of time in Emliano's apartment in Lazaro Cardenas. Emiliano's name is actually Hector, his son's name is Emiliano. Hector and I did a couple of three to five day trips into the mountains while I was there on two different occasions.

I extended an invitation for Hector and his family to visit me in Mississippi. Hector, Emiliano and Josephine, Hector's wife will be flying into Memphis, TN September 21 to visit with me for a week or so! I am really look forward to having them in my home and trying to repay a bit of the hospitality that they extended to me!

I am in Dallas at the moment with my daughter and will go home Saturday and start getting my house in order. I have only been home for eight days since June, so it may take a bit of effort! Brenda, my sister is going to give me a hand!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #9845
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Amigo, I hear that a lot of people like Skippy but he sure left me hanging. I was traveling by myself and a few weeks before the trip was scheduled he wanted considerably more money from me because he couldn't find a roommate for me. Once I paid more then he had me room with one of his employees....

Wow PJ, that does indeed sound like a nightmare trip without a lot of satisfactory redress. Putting people together, especially motorcyclists, and more especially old cranky motorcyclists who have the kind of scratch to pay for a guided tour is a risky business. My South America tour with MD was fraught with personality clashes that required a fair amount of Zen mastery, not always available at the end of a long tough day of high winds and ripio.

I am finding, and will proof the pudding in November, that reading the important posts on this thread, Donnie's RR's as well as Radioman, Crashmaster and the many others who have contributed here and in their own blogs is really good prep as far as having some fundamental ideas and a basic understanding of how things work but there is no substitute for just going. I plan to do just that. I know that what I don't know could fill 678 pages and counting and that doesn't even include what I lack as a motorcycle mechanic or competent rider. One thing I do know is that if I get in a real jam because I, or someone else has been a real dumb ass that there is a place to go to find answers and even help. Thinking here about Throttlemeisters adventures in Venezuela and Donnie's fine wallet adventure on the coast of Mexico. This is a great bunch of companeros... I shudder to think what might happen if we all were gathered in a room together or on an "organized" tour as there are clearly no strong opinions or attitudes in this group, it might take the leadership of a Salma Hayak to keep the group focused!

I truly enjoy meeting other riders on the road, sharing the adventure for a time, learning from each other and then moving on to the next destination that may be one we never imagined until our chance encounter on the road.

I think more of us, like you, Schizz, Donnie, me and countless others will be looking South as a place to spend our sunset years. As that happens it may improve the life for all of us, gringos and mejicanos alike. Quien sabe? One thing we have to be careful of is not making it "more like los EU" Risk management don't ya know. Mexico has had "collective communities" founded by utopian nortenos that lasted far longer and more productively than any "commune" of the sixties here... people work together and survive when they don't have any other choice. But I digress. Is Mexico safe... I would say hell yes but I am sitting in my warm house in the Colorado mountains just dreaming of it. Ride on bruthas.


My part of North Florida had quite a few ex-pat Brits and, of course, plenty of British and "Irish" pubs (the joke was that all the Brits opened Irish bars because they thought that was more entertaining). You would see a blending of US and British culture. I said something to a Brit waitress at the Kings Head Pub about the Costa del Sol in Spain where a lot of the Brits congregated and she thought it would be disgusting because the Brits would be corrupting the Spanish culture; I thought it must be a fascinating place because both British and Spanish cultures interest me.

Mexico has a blend of a lot of cultures. Chinese, French, German. And there are Irish bars in Saltillo and Tampico that I am looking forward to checking out once I get back on the road.

So I hear ya Señor Oyster. I am getting geared up for the next phase of my life and it's going to involve motorcycling and wandering in my new RV. I expect to see some of the Mexican RV parks to come back online in the next year or two and I will be there.

And I expect that, in one form or another, we will all be hanging together and riding together off and on.

As many folks here know I got wiped out by the ex- girlfriend, and that came on the heels of 2-3 years of being flat broke anyway. She stole our motor home, my utility trailer, two motorcycles have vanished, exotic racing bicycles, tools, electronics, motorcycle parts, everything went on eBay and Craigslist. She is claiming that we had a common law marriage and that she is entitled to my property; one attorney that I have hired says that we didn't and Dimmit County says they will consider indicting her when the grand jury meets in 2-3 months but right now they are too busy with drug busts to get to me.

So I apologize for being anti-social and not getting out and riding with all of the guys from Texas. I have been working steadily in order to get things restored but at the moment am making great progress. Stay tuned. Keeping my fingers crossed on something that may advance my time table roughly a full year if it happens.

But the great thing about starting over is that, going forward, if you have the $$$ you can do it right the 2nd time around.

And I suspect that around 2014, if I can stay employed out here and the violence in Mexico is under control, that I will be spending a fair chunk of time either in Mexico or right on the border and either RVing or riding down to the more tropical areas on a regular basis.

So we will be getting together more often. I hope.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #9846
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
As many folks here know I got wiped out by the ex- girlfriend, and that came on the heels of 2-3 years of being flat broke anyway. She stole our motor home, my utility trailer, two motorcycles have vanished, exotic racing bicycles, tools, electronics, motorcycle parts, everything went on eBay and Craigslist. She is claiming that we had a common law marriage and that she is entitled to my property; one attorney that I have hired says that we didn't and Dimmit County says they will consider indicting her when the grand jury meets in 2-3 months but right now they are too busy with drug busts to get to me.
I still have connections in the Air Force. I just ordered a JDAM strike on your ex-girlfriend
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #9847
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
It is getting harder to be the only gringo in Mexico
Not only that, but every time I go to the beach areas I find that the Canadians and Europeans have beat me there first. When I was in Tampico a few years ago I ran into the same Canadian guy three times in different parts of town. Ran into Belgian and Eastern Euro sailers, and a bunch of French. The only gringos that I met however were two good ol' boys from an ocean going tug that got drunk and belligerent and confessed that they wanted to go to the local cat houses but were afraid to walk in that part of town.

so I walked with them and assured them that the streets were safe. No guys ... I didn't have first hand knowledge of the cat houses - I had been going to a laundry that was on the other side of the street ;)

And the first things the Canadians and Euros start to do when you meet them is to brag about their health care plans and funded retirement programs. Dammit ;(
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #9848
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I still have connections in the Air Force. I just ordered a JDAM strike on your ex-girlfriend
If I could find her I would happily pass along the coordinates.

The last time that I saw her she had put on a frightening amount of weight. Tell the drone operators to look for an extremely large mobile object that isn't a motor vehicle.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #9849
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The last time that I saw her she had put on a frightening amount of weight.
Keep that in perspective

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #9850
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Whoa! Lotta woman to love there!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #9851
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Tough crowd!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #9852
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
My part of North Florida had quite a few ex-pat Brits and, of course, plenty of British and "Irish" pubs (the joke was that all the Brits opened Irish bars because they thought that was more entertaining). You would see a blending of US and British culture. I said something to a Brit waitress at the Kings Head Pub about the Costa del Sol in Spain where a lot of the Brits congregated and she thought it would be disgusting because the Brits would be corrupting the Spanish culture; I thought it must be a fascinating place because both British and Spanish cultures interest me.

Mexico has a blend of a lot of cultures. Chinese, French, German. And there are Irish bars in Saltillo and Tampico that I am looking forward to checking out once I get back on the road.

So I hear ya Señor Oyster. I am getting geared up for the next phase of my life and it's going to involve motorcycling and wandering in my new RV. I expect to see some of the Mexican RV parks to come back online in the next year or two and I will be there.

And I expect that, in one form or another, we will all be hanging together and riding together off and on.

As many folks here know I got wiped out by the ex- girlfriend, and that came on the heels of 2-3 years of being flat broke anyway. She stole our motor home, my utility trailer, two motorcycles have vanished, exotic racing bicycles, tools, electronics, motorcycle parts, everything went on eBay and Craigslist. She is claiming that we had a common law marriage and that she is entitled to my property; one attorney that I have hired says that we didn't and Dimmit County says they will consider indicting her when the grand jury meets in 2-3 months but right now they are too busy with drug busts to get to me.

Sorry, I did not know that!

So I apologize for being anti-social and not getting out and riding with all of the guys from Texas. I have been working steadily in order to get things restored but at the moment am making great progress. Stay tuned. Keeping my fingers crossed on something that may advance my time table roughly a full year if it happens.

But the great thing about starting over is that, going forward, if you have the $$$ you can do it right the 2nd time around.

And I suspect that around 2014, if I can stay employed out here and the violence in Mexico is under control, that I will be spending a fair chunk of time either in Mexico or right on the border and either RVing or riding down to the more tropical areas on a regular basis.

So we will be getting together more often. I hope.
Are there any difficulties with having both a truck and a 5th Wheel under one name and traveling in Mexico mainland? How would you take a moto along?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #9853
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Are there any difficulties with having both a truck and a 5th Wheel under one name and traveling in Mexico mainland? How would you take a moto along?
You can put the motorcycle on the truck's TVIP. But it cannot be legally driven on-road in Mexico, plated or not, when brought in as a recreational vehicle (second listing on the TVIP). With or without a plate, you can take it off road all you like (there is one exception) The truck's TVIP will display its full VIN, the last 4 of the motorcycle will be displayed. A second vehicle on a TVIP is considered a recreational vehicle. One plated/road legal vehicle per TVIP is the rule. You CAN put a plated motorcycle on a truck/tow vehicle's TVIP - it just can't be legally driven on the pavement. Would you get caught? I'll leave that debate to others. Its up to you to decide your risk exposure.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #9854
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Not only that, but every time I go to the beach areas I find that the Canadians and Europeans have beat me there first. When I was in Tampico a few years ago I ran into the same Canadian guy three times in different parts of town. Ran into Belgian and Eastern Euro sailers, and a bunch of French. The only gringos that I met however were two good ol' boys from an ocean going tug that got drunk and belligerent and confessed that they wanted to go to the local cat houses but were afraid to walk in that part of town.

so I walked with them and assured them that the streets were safe. No guys ... I didn't have first hand knowledge of the cat houses - I had been going to a laundry that was on the other side of the street ;)

And the first things the Canadians and Euros start to do when you meet them is to brag about their health care plans and funded retirement programs. Dammit ;(
and I'm using both
__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
l
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #9855
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I mis-spent some of my youth in Mexico. Two and a half months traveling in a VW bug in '68., and various other much shorter trips over the years, but haven't been there in close to 25 years. My wife and I are thinking of a trip to San Felipe from Phoenix in Nov-Dec on our bikes. ('88 K75 and '08 Versys). I'm fluent in Spanish, she isn't...not even close. Knows a lot of words, but refuses so far to learn verbs/tenses. Since I know that firearms (even one single bullet) can get you in a heap of trouble; I'm wondering what their attitude nowadays is concerning pocket knives (swiss army type and larger tactical locking folders is? Also, I've heard that passports are required and that they are not. Any current info. appreciated. Thanks
you 100% need a passport to travel anywhere outside the US anymore.
and more importantly to get back into the US through customs.
you may get stopped and asked for a passport heading into baja (red light/green thing) or you may get all greens and just ride on through.
try coming back across to the US and tell the guy you don't have a passport and expect a long wait of getting anywhere besides a detention area. border patrol back into the US is unreal tight anymore.

as for knives, no issues with pocket ones. bigger ones not sure.

as for your trip head deeper than san felipe! that's only where it starts to get somewhat interesting.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014